Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hard As Nails "catholic" Ministry


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

[quote name='prose' post='1435850' date='Dec 18 2007, 05:41 PM']I feel chosen to do youth ministry. Doesnt everyone feel called to their vocation?[/quote]

Yeah, but so do religious cult leaders. All I'm saying is that he needs to be watched and supervised.

Besides, the ABC link also refers to his parents being well-off, and I personally find it laughable when rich suburban kids try to pass themselves off as street-tough. Remember how Vanilla Ice lost his "street cred" when it was revealed that he was just another suburban street-thug wannabe? Personally, I think people who have "been there, done that" are far more credible.

Oh, well, maybe some kids need a "Reverend Steve-O", but like all ministries, he needs to be supervised by the Church.

Edited by Norseman82
Posted

I don't mean to sound like I am defending the guy, because I am not. I have never seen his ministry, nor heard him speak with the exception of the short youtube clips.

HOWEVER,

We need to be careful about judging one another, particularly in youth ministry. Sometimes God sends people like this guy to shake things up a bit. Maybe the Church fully supports him. Maybe the Pope himself supports this ministry. Who are we to assume She (the Church) doesn't support him?

I am sure he is being watched. I know that, even within my ministry (which is not extreme at all unless you consider occasional blindfolded musical chairs extreme), I am being watched on several levels. I bet this guy's is too.

He may be a jerk, he may be a thug, he may be a great guy. Who knows. Maybe he was from a decent family but was molested or beaten all the time. Maybe he hung around with bad crowds. Maybe he made bad choices. We don't know. But some people here certainly are quick to judge.

I just worry about the media's spin on things, and I worry more about the judgemental nature of this thread.

PapaHilarious
Posted

[quote name='prose' post='1435877' date='Dec 18 2007, 04:34 PM']I don't mean to sound like I am defending the guy, because I am not. I have never seen his ministry, nor heard him speak with the exception of the short youtube clips.

HOWEVER,

We need to be careful about judging one another, particularly in youth ministry. Sometimes God sends people like this guy to shake things up a bit. Maybe the Church fully supports him. Maybe the Pope himself supports this ministry. Who are we to assume She (the Church) doesn't support him?

I am sure he is being watched. I know that, even within my ministry (which is not extreme at all unless you consider occasional blindfolded musical chairs extreme), I am being watched on several levels. I bet this guy's is too.

He may be a jerk, he may be a thug, he may be a great guy. Who knows. Maybe he was from a decent family but was molested or beaten all the time. Maybe he hung around with bad crowds. Maybe he made bad choices. We don't know. But some people here certainly are quick to judge.

I just worry about the media's spin on things, and I worry more about the judgemental nature of this thread.[/quote]

My strong objection came from learning that in part of his scream-fest, Fatica will bring up suicide and berate people that have tried or contemplated it.

Any discussion of his character or beliefs aside, it is an incredibly irresponsible thing that he is doing. To say he's playing with fire would not even be the tip of the iceberg. Lifting weights and hitting people with chairs does not qualify someone to start a "ministry" that attempts to deal with deep emotional issues.

I do sympathize with him, though, in his intentions. Our world is a deep pool of lost and drowning souls. But it is an empty promise to offer a quick fix, especially one that is attached to emotions. Such thinking completely disregards the uniqueness of each person and his or her individual needs in restoring a relationship to Christ.

PopeClementI(MorClemis)
Posted

I'm just wondering if his time is 10 yrs too late.. wrestling was so 90's, nowadays a dude getting bashed with a chair is so passé :P

Posted

[quote name='PopeClementI(MorClemis)' post='1435918' date='Dec 18 2007, 09:27 PM']I'm just wondering if his time is 10 yrs too late.. wrestling was so 90's, nowadays a dude getting bashed with a chair is so passé :P[/quote]

I wonder if anyone ever missed and hit a foot or two higher????

Posted

I wish he'd join phatmass. That'd be sweet.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='dUSt' post='1435937' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:16 PM']I wish he'd join phatmass. That'd be sweet.[/quote]

THAT would make some interesting debates.....

edit: I think his email is on the website...send him an email invite....

Edited by Norseman82
Posted

I would like to know how you dislocate your shoulder in worship by dancing... That worries me more than the chair thing.

Posted

[quote name='prose' post='1436003' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:26 PM']I would like to know how you dislocate your shoulder in worship by dancing... That worries me more than the chair thing.[/quote] :offtopic:
it can happen very easily if the shoulder is already loose from previous injury &/or genetic (anatomical) predisposition. my two siblings and I have all dislocated our shoulders doing seemingly innocuous things. my right shoulder eventually needed surgery.

Posted

When I was away from the Church, some of my best times were spent with amazing youth leaders who found a way to be blunt, honest, and almost in your face to get you fired up about Christ. The only problem is, the feeling DOES die at some point. So unless this guy is also preaching devotion to the sacraments, and orthodoxy, it could be a bad thing.

At least he is trying to reach teens. That at the very least is admirable. If it wasnt for people caring about my faith when I was growing up in middle/high school, I would not be in such a great place spiritually today.

Posted

If someone is unordained, by definition he is not a priest.

Verbal abuse is not therapy. Psychiatrists do not call people names. If he were a doctor, he'd have his license revoked. Jesus did not scream at children.

Posted

[quote name='st-annes' post='1436063' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:21 AM']Verbal abuse is not therapy. Psychiatrists do not call people names. If he were a doctor, he'd have his license revoked.[/quote]
Dr Phil does, and he's endorsed by Oprah, which is almost as good as being endorsed by Jesus.

franciscanheart
Posted

[quote name='dUSt' post='1436071' date='Dec 19 2007, 10:00 AM']Dr Phil does, and he's endorsed by Oprah, which is almost as good as being endorsed by Jesus.[/quote]
It's my goal in life to be endorsed by Oprah.

Posted

Most of these kids NEVER had someone in authority stand up to them in their lives. They don't understand the consequences of their actions, whether it be cutting, bullying, eating disorders (both starvation and overeating), or suicidal thoughts. NO ONE told these kids "no" when they were young so at the age of 15-18 they are spoiled brats. They don't know that these diseases could actually KILL them and when they want to die they don't understand that death is really final. Its a sick, depressive game.
They have had people go "oh honey, its ok, we'll take you to the doctor and make you all better. We love you, here's some candy and a wii."
Over indulged, over bullied, over sexually exposed teens. In many cultures an 18 year old is capable of raising their own family. Just over a generation ago this was true in our culture. Now an 18 year old is virtually helpless. They are expected to continue school for the next 4-8 years and not start a family until after that.

This guy kicks kids in the verbal butt, and don't dare tell me that most kids don't need that. And he has a good sense of who does and dosn't need it. He dosn't attack the truly vulnerable (at least in my experiance)

I don't like his style because I am turned off by lone wolf leaders who convert and lead solely by themselves. Give me Lifeteen or anything where one person isn't making the decisions for an entire ministry, but not this. While he preaches and lives the Catholic faith its too easy for a single preacher to become his own downfall and take others with him. Currently, he is a great guy. I'm too skeptical to believe that it will stay like that forever, though.

Posted

I truly hope that he works within the church and not against it. It bothers me about how he talks about the "institutional church" not being his role model. For some reason, it comes off very anti-religion.

I can see how this ministry could come (if not already) dangerously close to becoming "non-denominational", and I pray that this doesn't happen.

I'd be curious to know how much he talks about the Eucharist, the sacraments, etc. Seems like this "style" would be effective when teaching about defending the faith from misconceptions. And what's with the non-Catholic hip-hop I heard playing in those videos!?!? C'mon!!!

Somebody send this guy a link to the phorum.

Posted

[quote name='dUSt' post='1436158' date='Dec 19 2007, 02:15 PM']Somebody send this guy a link to the phorum.[/quote]

can we yell at him? :furious:

Posted

Seriously Dust, you should email him.

Posted

[quote name='prose' post='1436169' date='Dec 19 2007, 01:58 PM']Seriously Dust, you should email him.[/quote]
I'm scared.

Posted

E-mail him. I'm sure he'd be glad to hear about the forums. He's got the richous streak that so many from phatmass seem to possess

Posted

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1436184' date='Dec 19 2007, 02:24 PM']E-mail him. I'm sure he'd be glad to hear about the forums. He's got the richous streak that so many from phatmass seem to possess[/quote]
Richous streak? I WISH! I really could use some riches. Preferably in gold or cash.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...