An Old School Catholic Message Board

Resting In The Spirit

curtins

What is resting in the spirit

is it legitimate, are there any church teachings on it or anything like that?

How does it relate to mysticism?

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Well, I'll give you my understanding of it, but I don't know of any Church teachings about it: my information comes from experiencing it and asking an orthodox priest about it afterwards.

I was at a Steubenville Youth Conference this past July when God gifted me with Resting in the Spirit, and honestly I cannot describe to you how amazingly peaceful the experience was. It was during Adoration, and after I saw the Eucharist in the Monstrance (a deacon was processing around the gym with the Monstrance), at first it was as though a struggle was going on in my heart, and then finally something snapped and I fell. It seemed to me as though I was being lowered by someone very gently, though, right onto a large pile of pillows (when I actually fell onto some chairs). I couldn't move very well, but again, I was just filled with so much peace that all I could do was praise God for His Grace and His Mercy: I couldn't, and didn't want to, do anything else.

On our way back to our parish, I asked the priest who was with us, Fr. Matt, what Resting in the Spirit is, and he told me that it can be likened to a person being given anesthesa (sp?) for the soul while God goes in and does surgery to fully heal someone from things in their past, and in my own experience this was most definately the case. And just so you know, Fr. Matt is a very devout Catholic priest who really holds to all of the Church's Teachings, so I think that he can be trusted to know things very well, but again that's just my opinion.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions, and sorry that I don't know of any official statements of the Church about Resting in the Spirit.

May God bless and protect you always in all of your endeavors!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

Joe:

Thanks for your insights.... my resting in the spirit questions came about when I was talking to my girlfriend about stuebenville conference- she went over the summer- and there were alot of people resting in the spirit, during adoration. However, my questions kinda come about when you look at the surrounding "circumstances" or "enviroment" of this resting in the spirit. The fact is, that adoration at steubenville conference is not the same as if you went to your local parish for adoration- Your in the midst of thousands of other kids like you, you've got emotional music going, emotional speakers (I think this is really bad- there should be silence during adoration)- who are TRYING to get your emotions out- going through the list of problems one could have- abuse, drugs, sex, family problems etc etc..... the whole atmosphere, all these things combined- could that be a major catalyst to the "Resting in the spirit"- ie, so that it is more a product of an emotional experience rather than a mystical experience.

I don't mean to belittle your experience, or invalidate it, just simply looking for some answers and info

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Okay, I see where you're coming from with this, and I just looked online to see if I could find anything, and I came across something that might help. Cardinal Suenens was a major leader in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, and he took part in Vatican II, and also published many books. One of his books specifically talks about Resting in the Spirit. I actually just found this book, and it is online. Here is the link[url="http://www.parishmissions.com/six.html"]Resting in the Spirit[/url]. I hope it helps out somewhat: I am also going to try and read it to find out more about this, myself. Thank you for getting me to look into this more, lol!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

[quote name='NazFarmer' post='1440971' date='Jan 1 2008, 02:10 PM']Okay, I see where you're coming from with this, and I just looked online to see if I could find anything, and I came across something that might help. Cardinal Suenens was a major leader in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, and he took part in Vatican II, and also published many books. One of his books specifically talks about Resting in the Spirit. I actually just found this book, and it is online. Here is the link[url="http://www.parishmissions.com/six.html"]Resting in the Spirit[/url]. I hope it helps out somewhat: I am also going to try and read it to find out more about this, myself. Thank you for getting me to look into this more, lol!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe[/quote]

Thanks for posting the link to Resting in the Spirit. It was a very informative read. I have "rested in the spirit" many times. The first time I had no idea what was going on. I assumed that people who fell down were some kind of nut jobs. Till I went down with an incredible force that blew through my body. That was the beginning of a major spiritual healing for me and helped bring me back to the Catholic Church and my conversion.
I have rested after communion and also during adoration while in intense prayer but, without falling down. It is a healing peace while the Holy Spirit works on ones heart and soul. It is beautiful.
I believe that all Priests have the ability to lay hands and the holy spirit will respond. It does not always result in people resting but, I believe it does result in internal healing.

Not that I'm skeptical about the "resting in the spirit", but there are many Pentecostal laypeople who have the "power" to invoke the Holy Spirit in such a manner... and I've only met one priest who's done the resting in the spirit thing.

Edited by Sacred Music Man

I had thought that only Priests who had the gift of healing could do that but, my Priest was doing blessings at a retreat and I and lots of others went down and I was so surprised. I was told that all Priests were able to do that. I went to a healing mass and the Priest said it was his first healing mass and same thing happened with him. I guess the Holy Spirit can work through any Priest if he wants to. I will say that all of the Priests that I have seen do this are so close to God. Very holy and devoted.

If "resting in the Spirit" is what Deb just mentioned, then I saw it occur at a healing mass myself. To be honest I'm quite skeptical. When I went to be healed by the priest, he said some prayer over me and then placed his hand at the back of my neck. After he was finished praying he tugged the back of my neck several times, signaling me that I should fall. I didn't. I just stood there, while others fell when the priest tugged their neck.

The whole thing appeared to be associated with the charismatic movement, and it's done among protestant circles.

Are you sure he tugged on your neck? Apparently there is a pulling feeling for some... and I heard this one priest mention that some people do this "dance" where they can't decide to allow themselves to "let go" and fall or not. I didn't go to the healing cause I needed confession, but I talked to someone I knew after he had it done to him and he said it was like pure relaxation. He's not the kind of guy who's emotional enough to "faint" like some think. I don't wanna judge. I'll try it myself and I'll tells ya what it's like.

my mother who is very un-charismatic was healed of her addiction to smoking many, many years ago through a "resting" experience at a healing Mass when i was just a little tike. she told me that when she was laying there all she could do was feel her whole interior just praising God and that it was a very beautiful experience. i think there is probably some abuse/faking going on in some places just like there is with almost any gift. however, without knowing much about it i would say that i bet that some do possess a real charismatic gift of this sort as it is often linked with healings of some sort.

as a side note...ive always stayed away from that sort of thing but not because i don't think its real. ive always been afraid that i would have one or more of these "gifts" but i would be so afraid it wasn't from God. i think that if i had that gift i would probably never use it because i would be so freakin scared. haha

Noel's angel

I really can't get round to believing in this. The more people talk about it, the more it makes me think it's fake. People are often so desperate to believe in things, they see things that aren't there. We've all heard of phony 'faith-healers'. "If you're not healed, then you mustn't have had enough faith." If I thought that one prayer said by a priest would heal me, I would go for it. But the whole things seems a bit...odd.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1443074' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:28 AM']I really can't get round to believing in this. The more people talk about it, the more it makes me think it's fake. People are often so desperate to believe in things, they see things that aren't there. We've all heard of phony 'faith-healers'. "If you're not healed, then you mustn't have had enough faith." If I thought that one prayer said by a priest would heal me, I would go for it. But the whole things seems a bit...odd.[/quote]

We know that God gives us whatever we need the most. Sometimes that might be physical healing. Sometimes it might be insight or clarity of vision that allows us to make use of our weaknesses for His sake. Sometimes it might be patience. With this in mind I would feel quite comfortable participating in such a healing service, even though it's definitely not what I'm used to.

The problems that you mention do exist, which is why there is such wisdom in Jesus' advice about going alone to your room to pray with no one to see. Just you and God. But the activities and beliefs of unscrupulous or over-credulous people can't detract from the gifts of the Holy Spirit, which may come to us in a very public and 'dramatic' way.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1443012' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:05 PM']Are you sure he tugged on your neck? Apparently there is a pulling feeling for some... and I heard this one priest mention that some people do this "dance" where they can't decide to allow themselves to "let go" and fall or not. I didn't go to the healing cause I needed confession, but I talked to someone I knew after he had it done to him and he said it was like pure relaxation. He's not the kind of guy who's emotional enough to "faint" like some think. I don't wanna judge. I'll try it myself and I'll tells ya what it's like.[/quote]

Yes I'm sure. I saw him placing his hand on the back of people's necks when he prayed over them and he did the same to me. He tugged two times to signal I should fall.

The people in charge of Steubenville conferences discourage this from happening during Adoration, saying that it seems odd that the Holy Ghost would take the emphasis away from Christ in the Blessed Sacrament...

I would apply that same reasoning to the Mass as well.

Edited by qfnol31