An Old School Catholic Message Board

Resting In The Spirit

curtins

[quote name='Oik' post='1445491' date='Jan 14 2008, 12:20 AM']:lol_roll: LOL! hahaha...oh wait, are you being serious. :huh:

Ummm...sorry, we don't do that in our Church. During the Divine Liturgy, the Priest makes a procession throughout the Church called the Great Entrance. He carries the blessed bread and blessed wine prepared at the Prothesis before the Divine Liturgy for the consecration. What is not consumed by the communicants is then consumed by the deacon (and/or priest). We reserve the eucharist in the tabernacle on the Altar, but this is a very small place inside and probably only fits a small Eucharist.

Besides, we use leavened bread and do not practice Eucharistic adoration. unless you count to three seconds after Holy Communion when the priest blesses the faithful with the Precious Blood and Spotless Body that was not consumed before he carries it to the Prothesis table to be consumed by the deacon (and/or priest).

Sorry, but it's not our tradition to have Eucharistic adoration. Christ is meant to be consumed in our tradition.[/quote]
Christ is meant to be consumed in our tradition, too, but we do process and expose His presence so we may have a certain extended period with him. But I would have to say consuming Christ is the ultimate gift--the ultimate grace. You do visit Christ in the tabernacle, though, I assume. That is a work of adoration too :). And, yeah, for the record, I wasn't exactly being serious about the modified monstrance. But I do take the Eucharist seriously.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1445697' date='Jan 14 2008, 05:26 PM']I've noticed how these things occur during adoration or 'healing Masses'. We don't have those. We have Adoration in silence which is just as wonderful and amazing as when people are dropping like flies. But we've never had a healing Mass in our parish or any parish close to me. Maybe the Irish are too reserved for the Spirit to 'move' in us...

I'm trying desperately to see the benefit in making people fall over, but I see no reason why the Holy Spirit would just want people to fall...[/quote]
Reserved! God bless those Irish!

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1445697' date='Jan 14 2008, 05:26 PM']I've noticed how these things occur during adoration or 'healing Masses'. We don't have those. We have Adoration in silence which is just as wonderful and amazing as when people are dropping like flies. But we've never had a healing Mass in our parish or any parish close to me. Maybe the Irish are too reserved for the Spirit to 'move' in us...

I'm trying desperately to see the benefit in making people fall over, but I see no reason why the Holy Spirit would just want people to fall...[/quote]

Maybe the Holy Spirit wants people to lay down so that they will be still and know that he is God? Maybe the spirit works better at healing when people are immobile. Maybe the spirit just has a sense of humor and finds it funny. I don't know and I guess we won't know unless the spirit is moved to tell us. I just accept it and praise God for his mysterious ways.
We have adoration in silence and that is wonderful too. Nothing feels as great as an hour alone with the Lord. God works in many ways and you just might not have experienced them all.

[quote]Christ is meant to be consumed in our tradition, too, but we do process and expose His presence so we may have a certain extended period with him. But I would have to say consuming Christ is the ultimate gift--the ultimate grace. You do visit Christ in the tabernacle, though, I assume. That is a work of adoration too . And, yeah, for the record, I wasn't exactly being serious about the modified monstrance. But I do take the Eucharist seriously.[/quote]

Hmmm. Adoration is not our tradition. It's a really that simple. Eucharistic adoration is a Medieval tradition of the Church of Rome. I don't think it's bad. In fact I think it offers tremendous spiritual benefits. I simply do not incorporate this practice personally. It is rare for me to go to Chruch and sit and pray while staring through the royal doors at the tabernacle. Eastern Catholic Churches do not have Blessed Sacrament Chapels. Same thing with the rosary. I don't pray the rosary. I don't think it's bad, in fact I champion the immense treasures of this form of spiritual devotion.

Do you pray the Jesus Prayer regularly? Do you venerate Icons? Do you pray the Canon of St. Andrew of Crete? Do you pray the Akathist Hymn to the Mother of God? Vespers? Orthros? Compline?

Do you know these prayers?

O Heavenly King, Consoler Spirit of Truth, presnt in all places and filling all things, the treasury of blessings and the giver of Life, Come O Good One and dwell in us, cleanse us of all stain and save our souls.

All Holy Trinty have mercy on us, Lord forgive us our sins, Master pardon our transgressors, Holy One look upon us and heal our infirmities for your namesake.

I'm not being defensive, rather, realize that my post serves to point out the immense treasures of the East. We have a very specific and distinct spirituality. :D

[quote name='Oik' post='1445954' date='Jan 15 2008, 01:17 AM']Hmmm. Adoration is not our tradition. It's a really that simple. Eucharistic adoration is a Medieval tradition of the Church of Rome. I don't think it's bad. In fact I think it offers tremendous spiritual benefits. I simply do not incorporate this practice personally. It is rare for me to go to Chruch and sit and pray while staring through the royal doors at the tabernacle. Eastern Catholic Churches do not have Blessed Sacrament Chapels. Same thing with the rosary. I don't pray the rosary. I don't think it's bad, in fact I champion the immense treasures of this form of spiritual devotion.

Do you pray the Jesus Prayer regularly? Do you venerate Icons? Do you pray the Canon of St. Andrew of Crete? Do you pray the Akathist Hymn to the Mother of God? Vespers? Orthros? Compline?

Do you know these prayers?

O Heavenly King, Consoler Spirit of Truth, presnt in all places and filling all things, the treasury of blessings and the giver of Life, Come O Good One and dwell in us, cleanse us of all stain and save our souls.

All Holy Trinty have mercy on us, Lord forgive us our sins, Master pardon our transgressors, Holy One look upon us and heal our infirmities for your namesake.

I'm not being defensive, rather, realize that my post serves to point out the immense treasures of the East. We have a very specific and distinct spirituality. :D[/quote]
Great post. I know the Jesus prayer, and I pray it often... unfortunately, there is only one icon I know of in a Latin parish I frequent (but I haven't taken time for veneration). As for the Canon and the Akathist him, I'd like to learn :) (what are Orthros and Compline?). Thanks for posting those prayers, too. :)
Btw, I'm quite eager to learn more about your tradition. It's like finding a treasure box reading this stuff :)

Could this be the same thing as when different saints would fall into ecstasy infront of the Blessed Sacrament or at prayer?

I recall that Bl Anne Catherine Emmerick would have this on much occasion.

The Canon nd Akathist Hymn are both available thorugh the Eparchy of Newton. www.melkite.org
Vespers are the evening prayers of the Church, Orthros, the moring prayers of the Church.

One thing I want to stress is that it is all our tradition. The East, the West, all the traditions og the various Churches are treasures of the whole Church.

No problem.

I have a special treat for you though. There is an Akathist Hymn to Our Lady of Guadalupe! If you read the whole post, there is a picture of a hand-written icon of Our Lday of Guadalupe also.

See this [url="http://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/160717#Post160717"]link[/url]

[quote name='curtins' post='1447132' date='Jan 17 2008, 05:53 PM']No adoration???

I'd die...[/quote]

Me too. I don't know what I would do on the days I can't get to daily mass if I couldn't swing by a church and spend time with my Lord in adoration. The grace I gain is beyond measure.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='curtins' post='1440964' date='Jan 1 2008, 11:41 AM']Joe:

Thanks for your insights.... my resting in the spirit questions came about when I was talking to my girlfriend about stuebenville conference- she went over the summer- and there were alot of people resting in the spirit, during adoration. However, my questions kinda come about when you look at the surrounding "circumstances" or "enviroment" of this resting in the spirit. The fact is, that adoration at steubenville conference is not the same as if you went to your local parish for adoration- Your in the midst of thousands of other kids like you, you've got emotional music going, emotional speakers (I think this is really bad- there should be silence during adoration)- who are TRYING to get your emotions out- going through the list of problems one could have- abuse, drugs, sex, family problems etc etc..... the whole atmosphere, all these things combined- could that be a major catalyst to the "Resting in the spirit"- ie, so that it is more a product of an emotional experience rather than a mystical experience.

I don't mean to belittle your experience, or invalidate it, just simply looking for some answers and info[/quote]

it's both emotional and mystical. i don't think one can prove which one either way.. maybe if the Church were to do some kind of study like it does when approving apparitions, but i doubt that will happen. if it were outright mystical and unexplainable, then that would be along the lines of God just giving the world an outright miracle to prove Himself - doubt that'll happen. it seems God chooses to give us everyday miracles that scoffers can find a way to explain, but to us, we know it is from God. He kind of meets us halfway, then the rest is our faith.

i was very skeptical, but still open. i thought i'd give it a try, but i knew that if i resisted, it probably wouldn't work. so i just let myself go with whatever they did. there is an actual nudge, and if you fight it, then nothing will happen of course. but if you just have a little faith and relax, close your eyes, and "let" yourself be a little unbalanced, something may happen. kind of like those group exercises where you fall back and someone catches you, in order that trust is increased in the group.

i don't know if it was me or the priest, but i felt and heard a breath come over me, as when Jesus "breathed on them", and i fell back. it was very peaceful and i just layed there like a baby taking a nap for a while. i felt i was in the presence of God so i just enjoyed it. afterwards, i felt kind of awkward and embarrassed so i didn't talk about it much with my friend. i think she knew..

so you get out what you put into it. as a Catholic, i say sure give it a try. something miraculous may happen for you, or nothing. it's God's will, you just need to be open. God bless.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1443074' date='Jan 7 2008, 07:28 PM']If I thought that one prayer said by a priest would heal me, I would go for it. But the whole things seems a bit...odd.[/quote]

One prayer said by a priest can turn bread into the flesh of Christ. And a lot of people think that's kinda odd too. :)

True. I believe that it can happen, but I think a lot of it is made up, unfortunately. We've had a 'visionary' in Ireland who claimed to have stigmata and to be a healer and it turned out that she's been taking a lot of money from people. She lives in a multi-million £ house, and even persuaded people to sell their own houses to help fund her 'mission.'

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1453634' date='Jan 31 2008, 06:13 PM']True. I believe that it can happen, but I think a lot of it is made up, unfortunately. We've had a 'visionary' in Ireland who claimed to have stigmata and to be a healer and it turned out that she's been taking a lot of money from people. She lives in a multi-million £ house, and even persuaded people to sell their own houses to help fund her 'mission.'[/quote]

Well, humility is the great litmus test of one's sincerity. The two accounts of stigmata I know anything about are those of St. Francis and Padre Pio. Both were so embarassed by the signs at first that they prayed for God to take them away, which He did for a while. But even after they came back for good, neither desired to have the world know about it.

When it comes to resting in the Spirit, speaking in tongues, and other charismatic gifts, we should look for a sense of humilty. They are legitimate gifts, but we all know that some people are more thankful for gifts than others. If I'm with a charismatic group that holds no expectation for me to express any outward charismatic gifts, then I'm inclined to believe they are legitimate and humble. Some do not (especially Pentecostals, but anyone can fall into this error) and in that case they are contradicting the Church.