An Old School Catholic Message Board

When You're Going To Confession...

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Nathan' post='1448248' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:56 PM']Then I was like, "WHAT! You got a problem with me confessin' my sins, homes? I takes howeva long I wanna takes, sucka!" Actually, no, I didn't say anything.[/quote]

Now if someone said that to me in response, I think that would be awesome. Especially if it was the old lady. "Aight Mrs. Fletcher. That's da way you roll..."

I decided a long time ago to try and be as optimistic as I can when waiting for Confession like that. Every second I have to wait outside of the confessional is a second where a brother is growing closer to God.
I always like to stay at the back of the line now when I can. The extra time to help examine my conscience doesn't hurth either.

I always laugh when I wait behind my Mom for the confessional. She's in there a long time (there's never a line at our church though) and the confessionals aren't completely sound-proof - you can't make out what people are saying but sometimes we hear her laughing in there.

Ash Wednesday

One time this kid I knew growing up was eavesdropping on his dad, and he started laughing and said "Dad said 'I beat my kids and I like it!"

His mom was on him and had him by the ear SO FAST.....

(he really didn't beat his kids like that, btw)

CoffeeCatholic

The best line a priest ever taught me to add to the end of any confession "For these and all the sins I know i have forgotten, I am truly sorry".

Saved me many a time, I swear! I go in with my mental list and come out knowing that one of them got forgotten half way through!

[quote name='Nathan' post='1448248' date='Jan 19 2008, 08:56 PM']I got "told" once by a fellow parishioner for taking too long in the confessional with a line-up behind me. When I exited this guy was like "Hey you!" and tapped his finger on his watch, clearly infuriated. (He must've had some urgent transgressions to unload!)

Then I was like, "WHAT! You got a problem with me confessin' my sins, homes? I takes howeva long I wanna takes, sucka!" Actually, no, I didn't say anything.[/quote]

That would be awesome, but I guess not apropiate considering where you would have just come from :lol:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448331' date='Jan 19 2008, 10:49 PM']Now if someone said that to me in response, I think that would be awesome. Especially if it was the old lady. "Aight Mrs. Fletcher. That's da way you roll..."[/quote]

:lol_pound:

[quote name='isilzha' post='1448333' date='Jan 19 2008, 10:51 PM']I always laugh when I wait behind my Mom for the confessional. She's in there a long time (there's never a line at our church though) and the confessionals aren't completely sound-proof - you can't make out what people are saying but sometimes we hear her laughing in there.[/quote]

I hate when confessionals are that way. I'll have to kind of clear my throat, or rustle my jacket a little just so I can block out the talking. You can't make out the words usually, but I think if you were aware of the talking and concentrated on it, it would probably be too easy.

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1448347' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:57 PM']The best line a priest ever taught me to add to the end of any confession "For these and all the sins I know i have forgotten, I am truly sorry".

Saved me many a time, I swear! I go in with my mental list and come out knowing that one of them got forgotten half way through![/quote]

Very good advice, whenever I'm in confession I try and end with something like that because there's likely something forgotten and it brings more peace of mind to know I did what I could.

Edited by nLEyETn

I never really have an issue waiting line for confession even if they have to cut off the confessions to start mass. I have never felt worthy of the sacrament. So, my feet hurt. But Jesus hurt much more than that while he was hanging on the cross for me. Who am I to complain?

Yes, I do sometimes get worried about missing my train and the dog not being able to "hold it" when I go to confession after work.

However, who am I to deny a person the opportunity for the same forgiveness I seek?

Ever consider it may be a priest who came up with a long-winded statement? I used to know a hard of hearing priest would would get stuck on tangents. It was really funny unless you were the one who got stuck. :hehehe: Most confession would be over in minutes, sometimes it would take up to a half hour.

[quote name='Nathan' post='1448248' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:56 PM']I got "told" once by a fellow parishioner for taking too long in the confessional with a line-up behind me. When I exited this guy was like "Hey you!" and tapped his finger on his watch, clearly infuriated. (He must've had some urgent transgressions to unload!)

Then I was like, "WHAT! You got a problem with me confessin' my sins, homes? I takes howeva long I wanna takes, sucka!" Actually, no, I didn't say anything.[/quote]
Lawl. I had my first confession when I was sixteen,it took a good ten minutes.Luckily,I was last. Our confessionals didn't use to be soundproof,in fact, sometimes you could hear everything.And there weren't any lights to let you know that the confessional was being used,so the priests had to put the end of their stole out if their door*.But they're soundproof and have lights now.

*Which you could not always see.imagine barging in on someone's confession.

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

For a few of the priests at my parish, they give advice and talk for ten minutes, so there's a long line of people waiting for confession and each person is in there for at least ten minutes: if you don't get there early, sometimes you don't get to go.

As to the above statement on barging in on someone's confession, I was once the recipient of that, lol. Luckily Fr. had already given me absolution and I had just asked him a question (there was no one in line when I went in!), and then someone came into the confessional and started confessing behind the screen! The way our confessional is set up, you can either come in through the door and sit behind the screen or walk around for face to face. I was face to face, and again by luck our confessional has two doors, so instead of going out the one that leads back to the nave, I went out the 'back' door. I didn't hear any of the other person's sins, just "Forgive me Fr., for I have sinned:" then Fr. gave me the signal to leave. It was interesting.

May God bless and protect you always in all of your endeavors!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

Confession is still very hard for me and I prefer to get in and out as fast as I can. I usually examine my conscience at home and write down all my sins. (they always seem to be pretty much the same, I should make a tablet list and then just check them off) I try to go every two or three weeks so I don't build up a ton of stuff. My general confession was an appointment and covered 35 years.

Last night I went before mass. I am usually shaking by the time I go in but, floating when I come out. I was so filled with grace when I exited that I shut the door behind me. The next person had to call to me to ask if someone had gone in after me. I was very embarrassed. We don't have lights on ours, just leave the door open and the next person comes in.

If I thought I was going to take a long time, I would make an appoinment with Fr.

HeavenlyCalling

I try to go as often as possible and be as brief as possible, because confession is before Mass and I dont want people to miss the oppertunity to recieve the Eucharist worthily. If there is something really weighing on my mind or some question I have, I make an appointment. It kinda ruins the whole anonymous thing, but my priest knows my voice anyway, so it doesn't really matter. ( The first time he said "Hello Lily" when I walked in behind the curtian I was kinda freaked out, but I got used to it ) ^_^