An Old School Catholic Message Board

When You're Going To Confession...

Ash Wednesday

Theologian in Training

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1449165' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:02 AM']Hey for what its worth Ash, I'm with you. I don't stand in line anymore because it just bugs me. I worry that I don't have the right mindset when I go in to confession but I'm pretty sure the lady that just spent 20 minutes in there doesn't have the proper understanding.

So I go to confession with my spiritual director. It works out pretty well. My spiritual director seems genuinely honored to hear my confession. Plus it makes it harder to repeat sins because I'm gonna see the guy in a few weeks. And how awkward that becomes when I have to confess the same thing I just confessed.[/quote]

You are not in the majority. Despite the look and all the rest, sometimes we struggle with the same sin and need to work at "rooting it out" though it is usually better if the same sin was not committed within a few weeks ;)

And Ash, it was not my intention to make you feel stupid, just to offer a little perspective as one who has been on "both sides," because I know exactly how you felt and still do, but I figure a view from multiple angles, as it were, might help things in the future :)

I have had the same inclination of people taking a long time, or going before me. But then sometimes I think, well they are much older than me, so the chance of them dying tomorrow is higher than mine, so its fair that they go in front of me, or take my turn, I will just go the next day.

Is that bad?

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1449068' date='Jan 21 2008, 06:45 PM']Ha. Ha. Real funny. Thanks a lot.

If I ever post [b]anything[/b] like this on here again I'm really going to think twice.[/quote]

I am sorry. I was trying to be a little funny. Those are the kind of things my sister is always dumping on me because I am lacking the virtue of patience. I guess I am starting to think like her. But then again............................that may not be all bad. :idontknow:

[quote name='Church Punk' post='1449270' date='Jan 22 2008, 08:38 AM']I have had the same inclination of people taking a long time, or going before me. But then sometimes I think, well they are much older than me, so the chance of them dying tomorrow is higher than mine, so its fair that they go in front of me, or take my turn, I will just go the next day.

Is that bad?[/quote]
:hehe: that's a little phunny

Ash Wednesday

Theologian in Training -- no you didn't make me feel stupid at all. I very much appreciated the insight. I think I kinda wished people would have left it at that because you pretty much said all that needed to be said.

catholicinsd, while I still can't say I really think your post was in the best of intentions nor an exemplary example of admonishment and fraternal correction, I said some pretty unkind words to you, and I am sorry.

Journeyman and everyone, thank you so much for your kindness. Deb I know you were just joking around.

Needless to say I am not a very patient person, obviously. Sorry for the drama. Now here's kind of a funny story to lighten up the mood a bit.

I was about 18 and going through a period of anxiety and scrupulosity and wanted to go to confession before a Saturday mass. So I was waiting outside the confessional. I waited. And waited. And waited. I'm telling you it had to have been 30-45 minutes. It was a very long time. At the time I wasn't irritated, just overwhelmed with anxiety because I was just really troubled at the time. By now, the confession time was over and it was time to start mass.

So finally, this rough looking guy with a leather jacket, multiple piercings, and a nose ring (like the ones cows wear) exists the confessional. And at the time, this was before piercings outside of the ears was very common and this was in a small college town. And then a short while later, the priest comes out and he looked very flustered, and when he got out he genuflected and crossed himself. He just looked like he had been through something very intense.

I was like :twitch: ah, enough said.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Church Punk' post='1449270' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:38 AM']But then sometimes I think, well they are much older than me, so the chance of them dying tomorrow is higher than mine,[/quote]

Not if you say that to someone who knows how to swing their cane the right way when you say that to their face!!!

[quote name='Alycin' post='1449455' date='Jan 22 2008, 07:37 PM']devil's advocate.[/quote]

Interesting choice of words for a thread on confession!!!! :lol:

Edited by Norseman82

My cousin feels the need to chat with the priest FOREVER in a confessional! I actually had to mention to her once that she should speed it up a bit when she goes in so we could all have a turn :hehe:

I once had a woman behind me in line ask if I was going to be very long because she was in a hurry and didn't want to wait. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of a Dave Allen skit in which he tried to show what the Church would be like if women were ever ordained priests - he basically showed how confession would turn into a gossip session.

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1449461' date='Jan 22 2008, 07:48 PM']Interesting choice of words for a thread on confession!!!! :lol:[/quote]

:lol_roll: I thought about that, but that's the only terminology I know for the point I was trying to get across! Lol...

the best is when there is confession during Mass, and you would like to be able to make it in time for Communion, but some people just aren't aware of the proper etiquette..

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1449453' date='Jan 22 2008, 05:29 PM']I was like :twitch: ah, enough said.[/quote]
:lol: i can just about imagine!

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1448153' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:49 PM']When you're going to confession, unless it's a private appointment or something, or if it's been 40 years since your last confession, and ESPECIALLY if people are waiting behind you -- [b]don't turn your flippin' confession into a psychiatric counseling session![/b] :maddest:

There was a lady who took, I don't know, almost 20 minutes today. Given that the priest only has an hour to hear the confessions and there's several people waiting -- you know, speed it up a bit.

Love, your local fellow parishioner. :)[/quote]
haha... I know what you mean. a week or two ago, I was stuck with my finger in my ear trying my hardest not to listen to some lady who felt the need to talk VERY loudly, and for quite some time. the confessional's walls aren't THAT thick. :lol:

I do admit to one confession/counseling session... but it was about 20 mins before Mass started, and there was no one behind me. and I needed it. :)

[quote name='Church Punk' post='1449270' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:38 AM']I have had the same inclination of people taking a long time, or going before me. But then sometimes I think, well they are much older than me, so the chance of them dying tomorrow is higher than mine, so its fair that they go in front of me, or take my turn, I will just go the next day.

Is that bad?[/quote]
:lol: that's a good way to look at it!

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1449473' date='Jan 22 2008, 08:24 PM']This reminds me of a Dave Allen skit in which he tried to show what the Church would be like if women were ever ordained priests - he basically showed how confession would turn into a gossip session.[/quote]
:lol_roll: