An Old School Catholic Message Board

Illegal For Restaurants To Serve Obese Patrons?

Lounge Daddy

From smoking bans to banning restaurants from using various cooking ingredients to now telling businesses who to serve and who not to serve.

I want my country back.

[url="http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0201081fat1.html"]The Smoking Gun has a copy of the 2 page bill[/url]. Unfortunately I have a feeling that it would pass, and that people will applaud it.
[quote]New bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

FEBRUARY 1--Mississippi legislators this week introduced a bill that would make it illegal for state-licensed restaurants to serve obese patrons. Bill No. 282, a copy of which you'll find below, is the brainchild of three members of the state's House of Representatives, Republicans W. T. Mayhall, Jr. and John Read, and Democrat Bobby Shows. The bill, which is likely dead on arrival, proposes that the state's Department of Health establish weight criteria after consultation with Mississippi's Council on Obesity. It does not detail what penalties an eatery would face if its grub was served to someone with an excessive body mass index.[/quote]

gamesfanatic04

Maybe if Dear Leader gets elected she will straighten things out. P.S. despite all my griping I voted for Ron Paul in the florida primary

HeavenlyCalling

All these laws are reidculous!!! Resteraunts are private businesses and as such THEY and only THEY should be able to decied who they serve. Its called CAPITALISM, and it used to be how things worked in the US.

At least it's a bi-partisan mess. Two Republicans and a Democrat. ;)

That said there is one word to define this proposal "discrimination". Even if it somehow passes, it'll never survive the courts after the first challenge.

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='BG45' post='1455423' date='Feb 4 2008, 03:42 PM']At least it's a bi-partisan mess. Two Republicans and a Democrat. ;)

That said there is one word to define this proposal "discrimination". Even if it somehow passes, it'll never survive the courts after the first challenge.[/quote]
Good point!!

I would also like to point out that, if I remember correctly, the bill use BMI to define obesity. From what I know of BMI, it is a terrible universal measure of health.

If we are going to enact such a draconian law, we darn well better make sure that the people we apply it to actually need it.

It sounds like a stupid idea to me. Before we stop people from eating, we should stop people from smoking. I expect that costs as much or more.

Even drinking (as in drunk driving) probably costs more in terms of lives lost.

(Ah! But does the restaurant industry spread as much money around the government as the tobacco companies do? You can bet they'll start if bills like this got serious support).

What is every restaurant going to need to have a scale at the entrance so that they can know they can and who they can't serve?

Vote these guys out!

HeavenlyCalling

Umm, well it was in my paper ( the Union Leader ) page D12 this morning.

Edited by HeavenlyCalling

[quote]what a BS story. c'mon guys, look at the site.[/quote]

The Smoking Gun may not look reliable, but it is a real bill, unfortunately. They're not making this up.

The Senator who is sponsoring it has apparently said that, while he does not expect it to pass, he is very serious about it.

And this is just funny: [url="http://www.miamiherald.com/968/story/402498.html"]Obesity Action Coalition Calls On Mississippi Lawmakers ...[/url]

The fact that there has to be, that there is, an Obesity Action Coalition strikes me as amusing.