An Old School Catholic Message Board

Illegal For Restaurants To Serve Obese Patrons?

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1455712' date='Feb 5 2008, 03:15 AM']what a BS story. c'mon guys, look at the site.[/quote]

[url="http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2008/pdf/history/HB/HB0282.xml"]http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2008/pdf/...y/HB/HB0282.xml[/url]

Here you go, the state legislature site.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1455194' date='Feb 3 2008, 10:23 PM']From smoking bans to banning restaurants from using various cooking ingredients to now telling businesses who to serve and who not to serve.

I want my country back.

[url="http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0201081fat1.html"]The Smoking Gun has a copy of the 2 page bill[/url]. Unfortunately I have a feeling that it would pass, and that people will applaud it.[/quote]
it's absolutely sickening. so now the state will decide who is 'fit' enough to eat? what's next?

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1455194' date='Feb 4 2008, 01:23 AM']From smoking bans to banning restaurants from using various cooking ingredients to now telling businesses who to serve and who not to serve.

I want my country back.

[url="http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0201081fat1.html"]The Smoking Gun has a copy of the 2 page bill[/url]. Unfortunately I have a feeling that it would pass, and that people will applaud it.[/quote]
I strongly favor restrictions on public smoking. There is no reason I should have to inhale smoke when i don't want to inhale smoke.
The ban on transfats I get. I don't know if I favor it, but I can handle it.

The law against serving obese people sounds dumb.

MissScripture

It's interesting that this should come up. I sent the link to a friend of mine, who went into a rant the other day in class about how ridiculous some of this stuff is getting. As she put it, it's baby steps toward a dictatorship. (We're exercise science majors, so we were discussing what could be done on different levels to influence people's decisions. When we got to government, she said she thought they should stay out of it).
And really, is that going to do anything for obesity? They can just go to the grocery store and buy a bag of chips to replace that meal where the would've eaten out...somehow, it doesn't strike me as a very effective law.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1455883' date='Feb 5 2008, 05:08 PM']it's absolutely sickening. so now the state will decide who is 'fit' enough to eat? what's next?[/quote]

Really it isn't that much of a stretch for them. They already decided that some of us don't have to be born. And some have tried to say that we don't have to live. Why not decide who is fit enough to eat.

well baptize me and call me Christian, it is real!

and here's our Masonic American Representative, [url="http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/members/house/mayhall.xml"]W. T. Mayhall, Jr.[/url]
[img]http://bp3.blogger.com/_DjrlSOJqAn0/R6JH_BkzWHI/AAAAAAAADiY/glX8I539VQs/s200/mayhall.jpg[/img]

Legislative Experience:
2004-present

Education:
University of Memphis
Northwestern University

Retired Pharmaceutical Sales
(DuPont-Merck)

Committee Membership:
· Agriculture
· Conservation and Water Resources
· Judiciary B
· Judiciary En Banc
· Marine Resources

Contact Information:
Capitol:
P. O. Box 1018
Jackson, MS 39215

Home:
8417 Cedarbrush Drive
Southaven, MS 38671
(662)393-2069 (H)
(901)734-9540 ©

Representative Mayhall is [b][size=4]a member of Horn Lake Masonic Lodge 617[/size][/b], Horn Lake Chamber of Commerce, Southaven Chamber of Commerce, and the Civil War Preservation Trust.

Representative Mayhall born March 23, 1939 in Memphis, Tennessee and is married to the former Minnie Melton. He is of the Methodist faith.

Email:
tmayhall@house.ms.gov

Are you honestly saying that he sponsored this bill because he is a Freemason? So this is just another attempt by those darn Freemasons to conspiracy it up and take over the good ol' USA? (First America, then the World! Omigosh!)

It's a stupid bill. But I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with his status as a Freemason.

In fact, I would think it is more of an indirect argument against socialized medicine than just another way for those Freemasons to exert their sneaky, heathen control over our most-Christian Nation.

[quote name='XIX' post='1456029' date='Feb 5 2008, 08:56 PM']I strongly favor restrictions on public smoking. There is no reason I should have to inhale smoke when i don't want to inhale smoke.
The ban on transfats I get. I don't know if I favor it, but I can handle it.

The law against serving obese people sounds dumb.[/quote]

You can't smoke indoors anywhere in Minnesota now. I finally quit. Too much hassle.

[quote name='XIX' post='1456029' date='Feb 5 2008, 09:56 PM']I strongly favor restrictions on public smoking. There is no reason I should have to inhale smoke when i don't want to inhale smoke.[/quote]

We don't need to give government more power over us for that. Just don't stand next to someone while they smoke.
It's giving government the power to tell "we the people," under threat of law, what legal products can and can't be used and where, that leads to laws telling restaurant owners who can and can't be served and more...
It's called "soft despotism." It's the government taking on despotic authority because the governed actually demand it.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1455318' date='Feb 4 2008, 11:51 AM']Who gets to define obese?[/quote]
[url="http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-clinical-definition-of-obesity.htm"]Clinical definition of obesity[/url]. Perhaps they'll have restaurants measure patrons body mass index before allowing them to enter the restaurant.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1456561' date='Feb 6 2008, 05:16 PM']We don't need to give government more power over us for that. Just don't stand next to someone while they smoke.
It's giving government the power to tell "we the people," under threat of law, what legal products can and can't be used and where, that leads to laws telling restaurant owners who can and can't be served and more...
It's called "soft despotism." It's the government taking on despotic authority because the governed actually demand it.[/quote]
Smoke drifts. Tobacco is legal, and if one wants to kill oneself by using it, work away. Just leave me out of it.

So what's the next step? An "obese" person not being able to but food at the grocery store? Raiding people's gardens and confiscating their tomato plants?

Where I live you are not allowed to smoke anywhere public. Even outside. You can not smoke on sidewalks, in parking lots, nothing. No bars, and not within 5 meters of any building access that is not your own home.

In our neighboring city, that extends to your own car as well. You can not even smoke in your vehicle while it is parked.

I think there are a lot of ex-smokers here now.

As for the obesity thing. It is one of those things that is a positive idea with a bad execution. It is good to try to help overweight people to overcome their addictions. But I don't believe this is the way.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1456561' date='Feb 6 2008, 04:16 PM']We don't need to give government more power over us for that. Just don't stand next to someone while they smoke.
It's called "soft despotism." It's the government taking on despotic authority because the governed actually demand it.[/quote]
L D, I'm usually in agreeance with you, but now I think you're going overboard. I think it's a just law that restaurants are smoke free or (in some cases) have a "smoking room". Basically it's not for an individuals health, but for the health of those around. As for the obesity thing, it's an act of discrimination and impracticality. It will not help their situation. Plus, all this talk about BMI... geez, it's sadening to think that restaurants would be using such a flawed system and have to go out of their way to impliment this system in order to serve people.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1456583' date='Feb 6 2008, 04:47 PM']Smoke drifts. Tobacco is legal, and if one wants to kill oneself by using it, work away. Just leave me out of it.[/quote]

Thanks be to God there is some words of sanity!