An Old School Catholic Message Board

Breath Mints While Fasting?

curtins

In all seriousness

we are to keep up our appearances while fasting so as to not let others know we are fasting (as seen in today's gospel)

if one were to get particularly putrid breath while fasting, would it be permissible to indulge in a mint now and then to relieve the oral tension? (for practical reasons as well as in keeping with the aforementioned principle on fasting)

I have a sore throat. I am eating Halls. I suppose that doesn't count.

I would rather a fasting friend/ coworker smell of elderberries on a mint than breath putridity onto me.

Just don't say why you are sucking on it.

goldenchild17

that's up to you I think. I'm pretty sure my pre-vat II theology manual says that breath mints break the fast. But things were different then. I don't know what would be taught now.

Thy Geekdom Come

I'd say it depends on your use for them. Are you taking them for their taste and as if they were candy, or as a medicine to stop bad breath. I had halitosis for many years and I had to use breath mints medicinally.

goldenchild17

I'll take a look at the book when I get a chance. I don't think ya'll should get over scrupulous since I think the rules have changed since then, but I have a feeling, since I was just reading this about a month ago, that all that kind of stuff was out before vatican ii. Now breath spray might be okay. I'm not sure about that one...

I don't know. My sis told me I could not have a breath mint within one hour of communion but if had a really dry throat, I could have a cough drop. What is the dif?

I ate a kalamata olive between meals today. It just leapt into my mouth before I could remember I could not eat between my little meals. eeeekkkkkk.. :eek:

oh don't worry I'm not being scrupulous..... more comical....also, I'm refering to a day of fasting, not a 1 hour fast before Eucharist (which would be broken by mints or gum)

goldenchild17

yeah, if I'm not mistaken, my book says it refers to fasting in general, whether the Eucharistic or Lenten. But I'll pull it out and check before I say much more on the subject.

Well, if the mint is treated as a candy, then it's something to avoid. But if it's for bad breath and brushing the teeth doesn't do the job very quickly, then as an act of charity use breath spray or a tic tac or somethin....

Theologian in Training

From one who had to distribute communion, I would encourage you to please use a breath mint. I think today was a day for pasta, a lot of strong garlic on people's breaths :wacko: