An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Catholic Vice President Under... Obama?

dUSt

Tim Kaine, a Catholic who speaks openly about his faith, is on Obama's "short list". Unfortunately, he is only "personally pro-life", which he explains as being opposed to abortion but in favor of a women's right to choose. STUPID.

[url="http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/category/tim-kaine/"]http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/category/tim-kaine/[/url]

Spamity Calamity

"Im personally opposed to issue X but I think the exact opposite should be promoted in public policy". Isn't that a hypocrite?

A man with faith cannot seperate it from his daily life... if he thinks or claims he can, then he has no faith at all.

As for him being a hypocrite, we all are hypocrites... unless we are perfect, we are hypocrites. Doing anything we know is wrong makes us one.

The word "hypocrite" gets thrown around too much without people thinking what it actually means.

God Bless,
ironmonk

[quote name='ironmonk' post='1460509' date='Feb 12 2008, 10:29 PM']A man with faith cannot seperate it from his daily life... if he thinks or claims he can, then he has no faith at all.
As for him being a hypocrite, we all are hypocrites... unless we are perfect, we are hypocrites. Doing anything we know is wrong makes us one.

The word "hypocrite" gets thrown around too much without people thinking what it actually means.
God Bless,
ironmonk[/quote]

I always thought hypocrites were people who openly preach against something, but do it anyway.

[quote name='Alycin' post='1460587' date='Feb 12 2008, 11:12 PM']I always thought hypocrites were people who openly preach against something, but do it anyway.[/quote]
Right. As Catholics, we should all preach against sin, but yet, we all sin. Hypocrites.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1460627' date='Feb 12 2008, 11:25 PM']Right. As Catholics, we should all preach against sin, but yet, we all sin. Hypocrites.[/quote]

True. I was commenting on usage of the word...

Spamity Calamity

[quote name='ironmonk' post='1460509' date='Feb 12 2008, 10:29 PM']The word "hypocrite" gets thrown around too much without people thinking what it actually means.
God Bless,
ironmonk[/quote]

Not to be argumentative but I'm pretty sure this instance with Obama's potential VP fits the definition of hypocrite nicely. And to be fair Ill throw in Jeb Bush on the Republican side.

Anyhoo, this does bring up a larger issue in my mind. If the Democrats would just drop the abortion stuff as a party platform imagine how many Catholics they would get. Ive noticed some people on this board find themselves sympathetic to Democrats but cannot get over the life issue. Something to think about anyway.

Edited by Spamity Calamity

One positive side effect that might happen if this becomes a reality, the pope will publically condemn the VP of the United States' stance on abortion and strengthen the church's public perception as the true voice of Christ.