hermit Posted February 19, 2004 Posted February 19, 2004 Alright my first post,sounds great Dust, count me in for all three....P.S. love this site...
Azriel Posted February 19, 2004 Posted February 19, 2004 Alright my first post,sounds great Dust, count me in for all three....P.S. love this site... Welcome to the Pham! You're off to a great start. :)
phatcatholic Posted February 19, 2004 Posted February 19, 2004 pham, i have a question. if i do the three things, and people start asking me why, for example, i'm not eating, is it ok to tell them or should i keep it a secret. i ask b/c i know that if u let ur sufferings be known to the world, then you lose any redeeming value they would have had. what are you all going to do when people ask you questions about it? holla back, phatcatholic
Seven77 Posted February 19, 2004 Posted February 19, 2004 Rosary definetely.. will try for Daily Mass and Adoration. how about 2 more things like praying the Stations of the Cross every Friday and reading Scripture at least 30 mins a day... or even 15? when we cant go to Daily Mass we should make a Spiritual Communion.
Seven77 Posted February 19, 2004 Posted February 19, 2004 phat, if someone asks tell them, if not don't. and then there are the little sacrifices you can do without anyone having to know! small things with great love like St. Therese and Bl. Mother Teresa.
cmotherofpirl Posted February 20, 2004 Posted February 20, 2004 I can do the rosary part and can watch a live Morning Prayer and Mass from our Cathedral every day.
FaustinaVianney Posted February 20, 2004 Posted February 20, 2004 Phat, good question. I usually just tell them that I'm not hungary or that I'll eat something back home. I don't go to restaraunts during Lent and I tell others that, so if they invite me I tell them not during Lent. (I just believe in living very simply during Lent). I'm usually to sit down and eat with others anyway.
cmotherofpirl Posted February 20, 2004 Posted February 20, 2004 If I pick up something good during Lent someone invariably says "I thought you gave that up". Even some of my evangelical friends give up stuff for Lent. :D
Carrie Posted February 23, 2004 Posted February 23, 2004 bump Since the beginning of Lent is so close, thought this should be on page one.
Lounge Daddy Posted February 23, 2004 Posted February 23, 2004 I am in on all three, offered up for my family, and my phamily -- Know that I offer prayers of strength for those of us in on this, and I also ask for prayers. Thanks, and God Bless us all a lot --LD
Carrie Posted February 23, 2004 Posted February 23, 2004 I have a silly question. I am going to fast (water, no food) but am I allowed to chew gum? Or is this considered breaking the fast?
Tom Posted February 23, 2004 Posted February 23, 2004 Fantastic idea. I obviously do the daily Mass, adoration and rosary as part of the timetable here, so not much of an effort I look forward to comparing notes and sharing prayers with you all.
BLAZEr Posted February 24, 2004 Posted February 24, 2004 I won't be doing the fasting completely . . . I'm planning a Lenten dinner with my kids each friday, so I will probably eat with them, but definitely I'll definitely do the water until then . . . Oh, and you do not lose grace if someone knows about your suffering. That's sounds like a hold over from the Jansenist heresy to me . . . Plus, telling people why you are fasting can be a part of evangelization . . . The way I see it, it might even move them to do a little sacrifice for lent . . . Peace
Thomas Posted February 24, 2004 Posted February 24, 2004 I really. really want to join in! I have one problem however. I'm on a very powerfull medication right now that requires that I take it with a meal. I don't want to play any games in that regard because it's one of the most dangerous medicines in the world. There is over 300 possible side-effects. Scary huh? I can't give up meat either, because I'm already a vegitarian. How about if I just eat a small breakfast and nothing else on the 25th and Fridays? That way I can take my pills with my breakfast. Only 4-6 months left and I'm done with this dreadfull medicine. As for daily mass, I'd love too. We had all last week off school so I was able to make it to a few daily masses. The daily mass during lent is at 5:30 so it works out great! And I'd love to pray the rosary daily! Excellent idea dUST! -Thomas
Lounge Daddy Posted February 24, 2004 Posted February 24, 2004 Welcome aboard, yall. :incense: It begins :D
Carrie Posted February 24, 2004 Posted February 24, 2004 Let's keep each other strong in our devotions for Lent! Phamily support all the way!
dUSt Posted February 24, 2004 Author Posted February 24, 2004 Oh, and you do not lose grace if someone knows about your suffering. That's sounds like a hold over from the Jansenist heresy to me . . . But you should be careful for your reasons for telling other people. Personally, when I keep certain things between me and God, it helps me avoid the danger of of letting people know just to "brag" or try to make people think I'm holy. It's a personal thing. Okay... last day to eat a lot of food! I'm getting started right now!
Lounge Daddy Posted February 25, 2004 Posted February 25, 2004 There is a Perpetual Adoration Chapel close to my home and I can stop in to make my Holy Hour every Friday, and then head to work… or do this after work on Friday am. It’s a pretty squeet blessing. But this no food, only water… this is already tuff (and it's only day one: Ash Wed ). When I think about it much, I need to remember to say a Hail Mary. God Bless. -- LD
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now