Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Have No Clue Who I'm Voting For


Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Phazzan' post='1470517' date='Feb 28 2008, 04:01 AM']Suppose you had a choice between two candidates;

Candidate A: bright, educated, honest, sincere, all about change, genuinely concerned about moral issues, health, education, pro-choice..

Candidate B: psychopath, idiot, redneck, religious zealot, wants to eradicate world of Muslims and Jews, proactive pro-life campaigner...

Who would you vote for?[/quote]


I could see voting for A.
\\BIG edit whoopes

Posted

how can you be pro-life but want to rid the world of others?

Posted

[quote name='rachael' post='1483457' date='Mar 24 2008, 10:27 PM']how can you be pro-life but want to rid the world of others?[/quote]


Bingo

And Rachel I feel your pain on this one.

KnightofChrist
Posted

[quote name='rachael' post='1483457' date='Mar 24 2008, 09:27 PM']how can you be pro-life but want to rid the world of others?[/quote]

404

Posted

and that is where all candidates, to me, fall short.

Posted
:whistle:
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

yea, i still am not for any of these candidates. they all kind of smell of elderberries. blech.


and i think single-issue voting is not wise for anyone, although i see why people many want to do it.

Edited by rachael
Archaeology cat
Posted

[quote name='rachael' post='1497983' date='Apr 12 2008, 06:42 PM']yea, i still am not for any of these candidates. they all kind of smell of elderberries. blech.
and i think single-issue voting is not wise for anyone, although i see why people many want to do it.[/quote]
Couldn't agree more. On both statements. Hopefully I'll find a candidate I at least half-way like by November.

Posted

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1499889' date='Apr 15 2008, 06:13 AM']Couldn't agree more. On both statements. Hopefully I'll find a candidate I at least half-way like by November.[/quote]

Me too, I still haven't given thought to who I'm voting for. I couldn't really vote in the primaries, so I haven't had to make up my mind yet.

Archaeology cat
Posted

[quote name='Lena' post='1499901' date='Apr 15 2008, 01:02 PM']Me too, I still haven't given thought to who I'm voting for. I couldn't really vote in the primaries, so I haven't had to make up my mind yet.[/quote]
Yeah, I couldn't vote in the primaries b/c I'm not registered with a party.

Posted

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1499889' date='Apr 15 2008, 06:13 AM']Couldn't agree more. On both statements. Hopefully I'll find a candidate I at least half-way like by November.[/quote]
Me too. But it will really smell of elderberries if I don't. :(

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I'm voting for Obama.

Posted

[quote name='Socrates' post='1479553' date='Mar 18 2008, 09:57 PM']As a Catholic, perhaps then you'll heed the words of the Church on the seriousness of politically supporting abortion.

[url="http://www.priestsforlife.org/magisterium/bishops/04-07ratzingerommunion.htm"]Read the words of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger on the topic.[/url]

And Obama is 100% pro-abortion, even supporting partial-birth abortion:


As an Illinois state senator, Obama even voted against giving legal protection to live babies who had survived abortion.

Obama also actively supports the immoral "gay rights" movement, and said he woudl use the "bully pulpit" to promote this cause.

Your "hope" in Obama is indeed a false hope, and it's time you get your head screwed on right. Supporting a candidate simply because he talks of change and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside is about the stupidist reason you can have for supporting anyone.

If you don't think it's acceptable to vote for McCain, vote third party; don't vote for the man ranked the most liberal member of the Senate. To support Obama is to support evil policies.[/quote]

Sorry, this thread got lost in the fold.

Anyway, Soc. My question is whether abortion is the only issue one has to consider. Let's say that I disagree with virtually everything else a candidate says (not necessarily true in this case) and/or doesn't believe he/she will do anything at all to improve this country, but still is anti-abortion. I'm asking this because I am seriously struggling with this issue right now. And I think that you are a smart enough person to give me a valid answer without beating me over the head with labels.

Posted

I prefer to look at the whole candidate. I'm more interested in who is the best leader because there is no way to foretell what kind of issues are going to come up in their term in office. I just don't think it is wise to focus on one issue especially when it is an issue that the president has very little chance of doing anything about. Last I heard, President Bush was pro-life, and he wasn't able to do away with abortion while he was in office.

That being said, I still don't know who I'm going to vote for. Once it is down to two people, and I see what platforms come out of the conventions, I may have a better idea.

KnightofChrist
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1509314' date='Apr 25 2008, 12:23 AM']I prefer to look at the whole candidate. I'm more interested in who is the best leader because there is no way to foretell what kind of issues are going to come up in their term in office. I just don't think it is wise to focus on one issue especially when it is an issue that the president has very little chance of doing anything about. Last I heard, President Bush was pro-life, and he wasn't able to do away with abortion while he was in office.

That being said, I still don't know who I'm going to vote for. Once it is down to two people, and I see what platforms come out of the conventions, I may have a better idea.[/quote]
[center]
Partial Birth Abortion Ban
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/PBAsigning.jpg[/img][/center]

goldenchild17
Posted

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1509317' date='Apr 25 2008, 12:26 AM'][center]
Partial Birth Abortion Ban
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/PBAsigning.jpg[/img][/center][/quote]

werd. While I disagree strongly with a lot of what Bush did, almost to the point of me being somewhat sorry for having voted for him, I do believe he did make positive strides in pro-life policy.

Posted

He is signing a law that was passed by the Legislature. President's don't pass laws. They can suggest them, and be ignored, and they can veto laws which can then be overruled. Even if he suggested a law that was passed, that he signed, the Supreme Court can still rule it as unconstitutional. The only way that he can make a real difference is by getting to name people to the Supreme Court, and even then, there is no guarantee that the justice will still vote the way the president expects them to. Nixon found that out the hard way with Burger.

goldenchild17
Posted

okay. I still think he did far more than a democrat would have done (or John McCain would do).

KnightofChrist
Posted

Not only did he actual sign it, something I believe Clinton did not do, but his administration fought to keep the ban as law in SCOTUS, and won.

Archaeology cat
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1509314' date='Apr 25 2008, 06:23 AM']That being said, I still don't know who I'm going to vote for. Once it is down to two people, and I see what platforms come out of the conventions, I may have a better idea.[/quote]
:yes: I tend to pore over all the issues. Of course I have those nearest to my heart, but I do like to look at everything.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...