An Old School Catholic Message Board

Going On A Nun Run

He is Risen!

VeniteAdoremus

TradMom, I think I speak for a lot of us when I say that we're [i]so[/i] happy to have you here :)

He is Risen!

Hi Everyone,
I'm home from visiting the CFR Sisters, who by the way were a joyful and prayerful community. :birds: I asked many of the questions that you all suggested so if you would like to know the answers to your questions as answered by the CFRs, please PM me and I would be happy to share. There were other "come and sees" that also had some questions but they were mostly along the lines of "do you shave your legs" Thank you all for your help with this. :blowkiss:

AccountDeleted

Oh heavens TradMom - how wonderful! I didn't put your whole quote back on here but I do want to point out just how valuable is that one statement of yours ...

[quote]Sometimes nagging questions can be pushed aside in the hopes of being accepted[/quote]

I think that one of my problems in discerning was that I was just so happy to find a community that didn't hold it against me that I was 54 years old at the time (55 now). And then I was so happy that they would let me discern via email and not have to go for a visit. I was being too impetuous because I felt I was old and needed to hurry.

But God has His own plans, and taking time to pray and try to discern His will is very important. All of the things you mentioned matter. Some matter more than others for each individual, but they all do matter. Since we are talking a long-term relationship here between a community and a sister, then it makes so much sense to treat it with all care and consideration. I am the first to mea culpa myself for being impatient and wanting so much just to "get into the habit" :duh: that I didn't really take the time I needed to discern properly. I never bothered to find out how much solitude was in their schedule, and obviously this is a very important thing to me. If I had gone on a live-in visit, then I might have realized and not had to go through the agony of feeling like a failure for both them and myself.

I hope that discerners take careful note of everything you said. I know I am going to this time around. I am officially a discerner again "lol" because although I am feeling that I am being called to be a hermit, it may just be that God is calling me to a community with more time for solitude, in addition to their life together. I mean, after all, I loved reciting the Divine Office together and I loved the feeling of being part of a community of loving sisters. So perhaps I just need to find a community that is also wants solitude?

I am going to print out your advice and refer to it all the time now! Thank you so much. :clapping:

Laudem Gloriae

This is - I don't think so - hasn't been mentioned yet? But location is important - at least to me! Unless you're looking for an active order or like CFRs or Missionaries of Charity and are meant to be in the middle of a city and such, location for a monastery is important - noise wise that is.

This article dated earlier this month on the PCPA's in Portsmouth, OH is an example: [url="http://www.catholic.org/diocese/diocese_story.php?id=27133"]http://www.catholic.org/diocese/diocese_story.php?id=27133[/url].

(Off the subject a bit but this link is to a story on the same nuns regarding their vocation stories: [url="http://www.catholic.org/diocese/diocese_story.php?id=26970)"]http://www.catholic.org/diocese/diocese_story.php?id=26970)[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
dominicansoul

This might have been mentioned already, but sometimes, questions won't give you answers, you just have to witness their life. These are qualities I look for in a community when I visit them:

-Reverence to the Holy Eucharist
-Masses celebrated with all the glory, beauty and splendor we can offer to God
-The Community must pray together, several times a day, in the chapel, the Divine Office, the Rosary, and Eucharistic Adoration
-for me, they have be be monastic, with all the traditions contained in that particular monastic community (for me, Dominican traditions,) and live by a schedule (ex: 5 a.m. bell, be in the Chapel by 5:30, Liturgy of the Hours, Meditation, Mass after, etcetera.)
-what type of additional devotions do they practice (Consecration to Jesus through Mary, The Divine Mercy Chaplet, Novenas to various saints, etc.)
-the Sisters must show me how much they enjoy the life, and how much they are completely in love with God and happy for choosing that particular community. This is important, because if you walk into a community and see everybody moping around, cross and sad...that says something about the community!
-Do they wear the precious habit of St. Dominic? This is important because I don't want to worry about spending money on a wardrobe! Give me poverty, baby! POVERTY=MY FREEDOM! Material goods are not what I want to accumulate in religious life. (Can you imagine a Convent garage sale with 5 cent skirts and blouses?)
-and speaking of, they must take the vows of poverty, chastity and obedience
-lastly, I see what their apostolate is. Apostolate is not important, because when you are in Love with Jesus, all you care about is becoming His bride. Just let me live totally consecrated to HIM, and I'll clean the toilets all day! I don't care. I just WANT TO BELONG TOTALLY TO HIM! :love:

I hope this helps! If not, it was very helpful to me!