Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

California Bans Homeschooling


Recommended Posts

GuyWithAFoil
Posted

Maine is a notification state. so we tell Maine that we are homeschooling and that is fine. Each year, I also get a certified teacher look at what I've done and then I'll get a letter saying I have met the requirements of the state.

In regard to testing, Maine's law is very similar to New York. New York has a little bit higher regulation. this is Maine's law,[quote]Annually, either: 1) administer a standardized test, or 2) take a local test, or 3) have child’s progress reviewed by a certified teacher, a superintendent-selected local advisory board, or a home school support group that includes a certified teacher[/quote]

P.S. it worked. In terms of college bound students. I have been accepted at all 7 schools I applied to. I have two older siblings who went through the same process I have and are both doing vary well in college. I must admit that many colleges are a bit confused about how to deal with homeschooled applicants.

Posted

The real argument is not whether homeschooling works or not, but is there a constitutional right to it. Can the state legitimately say 'no more homeschooling' no matter how good it is.

Note that if you support the state regulating homeschooling, why can't the state regulate it out of existence. "The power to tax is the power to destroy."

We cringe at this choice, but the debate wasn't about how effective homeschooling is\was; its do people have a right to it.

Personally I thinking it can be under right to privacy, but I am hesitant on this right since it is not explicit in the constitution and can lead to dangerous results (abortion is under right to privacy, so is gay marriage.)

Posted

What really brothers me is not so much the intrusion the state regulating homeschooling, but the suggestion that someone without college is too ignorant to know what is best for there own children.

College level academics are another thing altogether and something only the adult-child needs to do on his or her own.

College education doesn't mean that you would make a better choice for teaching either, take [u]Eliot Spitzer[/u], Attorney General & New York Governor; this well educated man earned a; BA from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public & International Affairs; JD from Harvard Law School, and was Editor of the Harvard Law Review.

Would you want this man teaching your child? Sorry, not me, thank you

Posted

this ruling is whack.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...