Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Charismatic Prayer Meeting


Recommended Posts

Saint Therese
Posted

I'm going to attend a charismatic Catholic prayer meeting this week and I was wondering if anyone had ever been to one and what they are like!

Galloglasses
Posted

I'd advise against it personally, I hear that its a great buzz, but from the sounds of it, they're more interested in the feel good-ism then anything. But I can't give an account though, so I can't really be taken seriously.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

I've been to quite a number of charismatic prayer meetings although none in recent years. I would say that it can really depend on the specific group so I'm hesitant to generalize too much.

I must say straight out that in the past several years I have been progressively developing a sense of opposition to the charismatic movement in general so I don't think I'm the best person to speak on this unless you're interested in criticisms.

Here are some resources off the internet that capture the gist of a Catholic charismatic prayer meeting. I can at least vouch for the fact that what they describe is accurate based on my experience.

[url="http://www.ccr.org.au/prayermeeting.html"]http://www.ccr.org.au/prayermeeting.html[/url]
[url="http://www.ccr.org.au/essential.html"]http://www.ccr.org.au/essential.html[/url]

A youth-oriented meeting could be a good bit different than the meeting of an adult charismatic community. It is possible that Eucharistic adoration will be involved but I can't say for sure. It is also possible that prayer groups and being slain in the Spirit will take place but again, I can't say for sure. There will most likely be praise and worship music, praying in tongues and 'prophecy' since these seem to be in every charismatic prayer meeting.

Some people react to charismatic meetings by turning around and getting as far away as possible while other people 'enter in' and encounter the Lord et cetera. It could potentially be a very powerful and fruitful experience but if you find it isn't your bag there is nothing wrong with that.
I hope this helps.

Posted

My cousins were kind of lost to the charismatic movement. Their services were kind of scary to me. I'm sure every group is different. Just be careful.

Posted

I hope that you go and give an update. :)

I went to a few Protestant Charismatic churches with people who invited me for a visit and I personally developed a bug up my butt about it. And from a couple people at Inter-Varsity. And I've heard stories from others. And tv of course. :sick:
I don't know much about the [i]Catholic [/i]Charismatic Movement, but yea.

So anywho...
1. I have a bug up my butt. I should jiggle my thoughts a little to up the charity.
2. My bff goes to a Reformed Charismatic Church now. It is way different than most of the Pentecostalist/Charismatic thing. In a good way, methinks. It seems lots more Reformed than Charismatic.

Saint Therese
Posted (edited)

Thanks so much for ya'lls input. I don't know why but today at Mass I was really feeling that I wanted to do something for God and that I needed to pray to the Holy Spirit. then I saw in th ebulletin about the prayer group meeting. I've never been to one, and I am a little trepidatious. FOr one thing I'm a very reserved person. I really cuddle with my weeble and wub beautiful, ordered liturgies, and I am easily annoyed by people who show any disrespect at all to Jesus inthe Blessed Sacrament by talking,etc.
Yet, I'm a little curious. I was supposed to go to a confereence this next week by Sr.Briege Mckenna but have decided not to go.
Maybe theh Holy Spirit wants to tell me something?
Of course, I would leave immediately if I saw anything contrary to the Faith. The Holy Spirit would NOT be in that.

Edited by Saint Therese
Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1493323' date='Apr 5 2008, 09:36 PM']Of course, I would leave immediately if I saw anything contrary to the Faith. The Holy Spirit would NOT be in that.[/quote]
Amen to that. hehe.

There are no doubt wacky groups out there but most of the Catholic charismatic groups I've encountered in my little life have been very serious about orthodoxy and respect for the Blessed Sacrament. If they have adoration or if they promote solid Catholic spirituality (St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Ignatius, et cetera) I would consider this a good sign. Some of the common bad signs (again, in my limited experience) would be rampant liturgical abuse, false ecumenism and charismatic absolutism (meaning the attitude that Catholics who aren't into charismatic stuff are incomplete Christians).

While I am generally critical of the movement and there are surely weird groups within it (I've heard of charismatic groups being shut down for 'cultish' behavior, et cetera) the Church has not condemned the movement and I've seen people's lives transformed through it so I wouldn't presume to say it is a scam, or of the devil or any stuff like that. As with anything touching upon your spiritual life in such a way I would just say be careful and discerning.
Oh, and if you are given apologetic materials for the charismatic movement or charismatic spirituality in general and have any questions about it feel free to post them because critiquing the literature and claims of the Catholic charismatic movement is kind of a hobby of mine at the moment. I've also been studying the origins of the movement a bit and I can no longer accept the common claims about the origins of the movement. For example, I believe the Duquesne event was basically staged by liberal dissenters who were essentially Protestant in their thinking in an attempt to initiate a Protestant revolution within the Church (I can’t get into all the details). To be fair I believe that the Ann Arbor crowd was well intentioned and innocent but the very beginnings of the movement strike me as incredibly dubious. Having said that I must also say that I do not believe that dubious origins mean that the movement today is invalid or that the experience people have is not real and to be respected; clearly God has worked through this movement in many ways. I should also say that there are still a lot of gaps in my understanding of the movement’s beginnings so my conclusions above are somewhat tentative.

LouisvilleFan
Posted (edited)

A good Catholic Charismatic group will very much promote Adoration, the Rosary, vocations, fidelity to the Church, and frequent reception of the sacraments, along with beautiful and reverent liturgies. The last charismatic retreat I attended even had a Holy Hour -- and yes, it was silent :) Quite the contrast to the charismatic prayer later that night, but that one wasn't too over the top with the charismatic gifts either.

Also, with any Christian charismatic group, they should never pressure you to exhibit any of the outward, expressive gifts. I've been prayed over several times with hands laid on me and that whole gig, prayed to receive the gift of tongues, etc. and never had a thing happen. But I have spoken at a charismatic retreat, so go figure :) We cannot command the Holy Spirit to give us anything, so if we don't receive them, then who are we to question God's judgment in the matter?

Edited by LouisvilleFan
Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1493372' date='Apr 5 2008, 11:38 PM']A good Catholic Charismatic group will very much promote Adoration, the Rosary, vocations, fidelity to the Church, and frequent reception of the sacraments, along with beautiful and reverent liturgies.[/quote]
Sweetness. :cool:

Posted

I have never been to a charismatic prayer group so I can't say anything first-hand. I have heard a lot of Father Cantalamessa's sermons though and despite being very much against these groups at first (before attending any), he later said that he experienced a "baptism of the spirit" from them and was very positive about this. He is the preacher to the Papal household so I kind of think that there must be some good in them!

I would probably be curious enough to go to one too, but I agree with others here that it probably depends on the particular group, just as it does with most things in life, as to how good it is for you.

Please do post here after you have attended, and let us know what you think.

Posted (edited)

i personally had serious reservations about the movement until I asked Our Lady--Spouse of the Holy Spirit for clarity. It was Our Lady who led my family and I to a Life in the Spirit seminar. I found no contradiction to Church teaching…and believe me I tried.

I've been to quite a few prayer meetings and I’m a reserved person. There is no forced requirement to do anything you are uncomfortable with. It is just a time to praise God as the Holy Spirit leads. Think St. Francis praising God for Creation, Daniel’s three friends, Psalms of praise, Acts of the Apostles…

I’m convinced that one can be charismatic and llove Latin and reverence at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. It is a Catholic thing.

I llove the Church and everything about Her! [i]That's word.[/i]

Edited by Seven77
phunny pm philter
Laudate_Dominum
Posted

Cool. Thanks for that Seven. :)

Posted (edited)

Testing: cuddle with my weeble and wub <- that's interesting text replacement... silly indeed.

Anyway, I'm probably one of the few professed charismatics on this board. I'd pretty much have to agree with lots of what's being said. There are a few groups that are pretty wacky, true. In my experience, however, most of them are devoted, solid Catholics who simply have a great devotion to the Holy Spirit, and they express that in terms of praise and worship and the charismatic gifts. The first time you experience a charismatic prayer meeting can be slightly jarring, at first. It's very vibrant and extroverted (I'm introverted, by the way.)

It's like any movement within the Church. A movement will emphasize one particular aspect of the Church that has always been there, but perhaps has been less noticed in general. Its goal is to provide renewal to the Universal Church in all her glory. However, there are always a few bad eggs who want a particular movement to be the definitive mark of a Catholic, and go rather overboard. A true movement will bring people into the Church as converts, back into the Church as "reverts" and fortify people's faith in the Church. You will see people as a result repenting of their sins, frequenting the Sacraments, etc.

I have seen these effects within the charismatic movement. I have it to thank for my conversion. I have seen many people whose faith was sparked, renewed and/or strengthened through the charismatic movement.

BTW, if you really want to jump in w/ both feet and can get to the New Orleans area on friday, the Southern Region Charismatic Conference is being held there. Check out [url="http://www.ccrno.org"]http://www.ccrno.org[/url] for details.

Edited by scardella
Saint Therese
Posted

I had been planning to go to that conference but I have had to change my plans due to lack of funds. :weep:
The prayer meeting is tonight. I'll try to give an update later tonight!

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

Yay! Yeah, let us know how it goes. :) I hope it is awesome.

Btw, I thought of you scardella and was hoping that you'd see this thread. :cool: Cool post.

Saint Therese
Posted (edited)

UPDATE!!
Okay :clap:
I have to admit I was a little nervous about the whole thing because I know some charismatic groups can get a little wacko. i must say I was very pleasantly surprised. It started with some nice contemporary worship music ( I had never thought before that contemporary music could be so prayerful). The whole atmosphere was very prayerful, which was nice. There was some moderate arm waving, but nothing that really made me uncomfortable.
Basically it was worship music, with some wonderful testimonies, and prayer. There were THREE priests there and one deacon, which I thought was awesome.
I chatted with a nice lady who is 60 years old and is entering the Little Sisters of Divine Will. During the service the priest that was leading would ask if anyone had a "word" from scripture, and two people read scripture quotes. I thought it was very uplifting, and I can't wat until next month. Next month they are going to have Holy Mass,annointing of the sick and some time for people to get to know each other, along with prayer. The only thing I thought was a little wierd was when the priest told everyone to gather around the tabernacle in prayer and said to take off your shoes because it was holy ground. Also the priest that was leading the prayer would occasionally make some moaning noises.
I was very glad that nobody started yelling in tongues, rolling around on the floor or was "slain the spirit".
So, Pham, what do you think?? :blowkiss:

Edited by Saint Therese
Posted

I went to a charismatic prayer group for a while shortly after my conversion to Catholicism, but stopped going because I found the spirituality promoted by the group to be rather superficial, and in addition many of the members tended to embrace an indifferentist theological perspective.

Posted

I think it is important that you had clergy participating. My cousin's group didn't have that, and they lost their center pretty quickly. If they are like that here, I'd like to give it a try.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

Sounds like you've been blessed with some great Catholic community. I'm glad it ended up being phat. :cheers:

:yahoo: (closest thing to a praise and worship smiley, hehe)

Saint Therese
Posted

I noticed today that I was more prayerful than usual, and also, more patient and more charitable. I think that's a pretty good recommendation for the group. Don't you think? :topsy:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...