mortify Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 (edited) Some subtle leaning towards these women but it gives you an idea how they think: [img]http://www.bridgetmarymeehan.com/images/sunday.jpg[/img] [b]Women Enter ‘Priesthood’ in Defiance of Roman Catholic Church[/b] By Jeff Swicord Sarasota, Florida 10 April 2008 [url="http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-04-10-voa27.cfm"]Link to article[/url] [color="#0000FF"][i]As Pope Benedict prepares to travel to the United States [arriving April 15th], he continues to uphold the church's [b]long-standing tradition[/b] of not ordaining women as priests. Since July 2006, more than U.S. 20 women with the organization "Roman Catholic Womenpriests" have considered themselves ordained without church approval. VOA's Jeff Swicord reports on one woman in Sarasota, Florida, who says it is time for the church to openly accept women into the priesthood.[/i] [b]Bridget Mary Meehan[/b] is one of [b]24[/b] Roman Catholic women in the United States conducting mass in defiance of church doctrine. She describes her religious journey, which started as a young girl growing up in Ireland. "We grew up in this beautiful family where prayer was as natural as breathing," she recalls. "Every evening we prayed the family rosary, and every evening we had such a sense of God." Meehan entered a convent at the age of 18 and became a Roman Catholic nun with the Sisters of Christian Community. In July 2006, a woman bishop not recognized by the Vatican ordained Meehan with seven other women. [b] Meehan says the Roman Catholic Church needs to be more inclusive. "I think the problem is they don't know how to integrate women into the present clerical hierarchical structure,” she said. “And that is a problem because this hierarchical clerical structure needs to be changed."[/b] [b]Meehan advertises her mass in the local newspape[/b]r in the southern coastal community of Sarasota, Florida. Her home serves as her church. The local archdiocese declined VOA's request for an on camera interview. But the archdiocese published a letter in the local newspaper condemning Meehan's actions. Arne Panula in Washington is a member of Opus Dei, a [b]conservative[/b] Catholic organization. He says there are reasons why women are not ordained as priests. He says it was a man, Jesus, who stood at the alter, broke bread and said, "This is my body," a ritual that priests recreate during mass. "The church teaches that he [the priest] does this in what is called [b]insomnia nomini Christa[/b] [color="#FF0000"][b](sic)[/b][/color], that he does this in the name and the person of Jesus," says Panula. "Jesus was male. Jesus was a man. And to be able to do that as Jesus did requires that it be a man who does it." Meehan disagrees. "A priest is suppose to be in personi Christa," she says. "[b]That does not mean taking on male identity. It means breaking the bread and sharing the wine in the memory of Jesus as a Pascal meal.[/b]" But Panula says Jesus chose not to ordain women. "Jesus Christ could have ordained women," he says. "He could have named women to the presbyterate, in which case right now there would be women priests." Meehan disagrees. She cites passages from the Bible and [b]new scholarly works that retranslate the original Latin records of the Catholic Church's early days. "The ordination of women - we know for the first 1,200 years [color="#FF0000"](?)[/color] women were ordained,”[/b]she said. “So therefore, the teaching on that does not reflect the practice of the church throughout its history." Meehan says her congregation is growing. She says some members are disappointed with the direction of the Roman Catholic Church, particularly in the area of [b]gender equality[/b]. Cathy Kidder was attending Meehan's mass for the first time. "A lot of us have raised their children in the church and saw them learn all those wonderful traditions and heritage and belief in justice attitudes of our church," she says, "and our children have gone to other churches where they feel these things have been put into better practice." Meehan has conducted mass since 2006. The local archdiocese has protested her actions, but t[b]he Vatican has not sanctioned or excommunicated her[/b]. Two women in St. Louis, Missouri have been excommunicated. "I think it is very wise of the Vatican right now to take a wait and see attitude, watch the movement of the [b]spirit[/b] in the Roman Catholic Womenpriests rather than condemning us,” Meehan said. “[b]Because, one day they just might have to undo their condemnation and canonize a few of the women in the movement.[/b] At least that is our hope and our prayer."[/color] These women have the inertia of contemporary society to motivate them, its much harder to stick to truth these days. What should be addressed is the statement above that women were ordained as priests for the first 1,200 years of the Church. This is of course absurd, even Judaism had an all male priesthood, and the Church being the fulfillment of Judaism and heir to the New Covenant firmly held on to this teaching, even though the pagan societies Christianity was penetrating were no strangers to female priestesses. The early Christians went against the grain when they only permitted men to be priests, and so it can't be said the Church's position was based on the culture of the times. Edited April 12, 2008 by mortify
KnightofChrist Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall seduce many. And because iniquity hath abounded, the charity of many shall grow cold. But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved.
Brother Adam Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 Vatican doesn't need to issue a statement of excommunication. They've done that on their own by their very action.
cmotherofpirl Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 You can call yourself whatever you want, that doesn't make it so.
CatherineM Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 Has she left her order, or been kicked out? I would be so afraid to do something like this not just because of fear for my own soul, but if she's wrong, she's leading other souls out of the light.
the_rev Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 She argues that women were ordained in the first 1200 years of the Church is inaccurage. No one can deny there existed deanonesses, but it has never been recorded that they were ordained individuals, they were individuals who did specific service to the Church while it was still a presbyter who always was sacramental. You know in the church there were priestess and bishopesses. Now your wondering what do I mean. Well, when clerical celibacy was not the norm, women were able to take the feminie version of their husbands title. So these priestes or bishopeses they speak of were never odrained they were just married to a member of the clergy.
Ash Wednesday Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 (edited) LOL. George Noory and Art Bell called. They want their Roswell 2012 Multiverse Coast to Coast priestess diocesan consciousness crizzap of anything goes theologists back. Edited April 12, 2008 by Ash Wednesday
Vincent Vega Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 Where I come from, we call these 'Anglicans'.
Nunsense Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1497711' date='Apr 11 2008, 10:42 PM']Where I come from, we call these 'Anglicans'.[/quote] Well said! And where I am now, we call them Episcopalians!
Vincent Vega Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 [quote name='nunsense' post='1497728' date='Apr 12 2008, 12:25 AM'] Well said! And where I am now, we call them Episcopalians! [/quote] Same thing (at least they use them rather interchangeably around these parts)
Vincent Vega Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 (edited) By the way, any contact information for these 'priests'? I'd like to write a letter to this Fr. Bridget (Father [i]is[/i] how you call a priest, right? Or perhaps I should be factually acurate and title it Ms.) and tell her exactly how I feel about this. I promise I'd try and be charitable. EDIT: OY! Just had a look around their website. Let's say I'm lucky I didn't have to experience my dinner a second time. [quote]FALSE: These ordinations as women priests are not recognized or valid. TRUE: The group "RC Womenpriests" receives its authority from Roman Catholic bishops who stand in full Apostolic Succession. These bishops bestowed sacramentally valid ordinations on the women listed above. All the documents pertaining to these ordinations have been attested and notarized. All minutes of the ordinations, including data about persons, Apostolic Succession, and rituals, together with films and photos are deposited with a Notary Public.[/quote] Yeah, when I get my letter out, I'm going to ask what Bishop exactly is o.k. with this, because I doubt Archbishop Favalora or Bishop Dewane is (well...maybe Dewane. He is a little bit to the left of the scale...but probably not that left). From their 'ordained' page: [quote]Cheryl Bristol, lesbian by birth, Catholic by choice, has felt called to ministry for 25 years. Born on an apple farm north of Detroit, worked as a Paralegal while raising her son, Richard. Living in Jerusalem from 1999-2002 deepened her interest in justice and interfaith relations. In 2005 Cheryl served as a delegate to the United Nations Non Governmental Organization Conference. She is currently a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, rights activist working with Catholics and other groups to end intolerance and religion abuse. Other ministries include chaplaincy, playing the harp, and performing Holy Unions. cherylbristol@yahoo.com[/quote] Wait, did the sign on the door say "National Organization for Women"? Cause I coulda swore it said "Catholic Church"... This kinda stuff makes me a little frustrated. If they want all of these liberal, heretic things to be a part of their church, why can't they really just become Episcopalian or Methodist or any other female ordaining sect? Ugh. I need to go to bed. Edited April 12, 2008 by USAirwaysIHS
mortify Posted April 12, 2008 Author Posted April 12, 2008 If you go to the original article they have a link to their site
mortify Posted April 12, 2008 Author Posted April 12, 2008 [quote]"insomnia nomini Christa"[/quote] zzzzzz
farglefeezlebut Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 :s People need to realise that equal doesn't mean same.
melporcristo Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 JMJ [quote]"Every evening we prayed the family rosary, and every evening we had such a sense of God."[/quote] Well, let's hope and pray that these women get a sense of true womanhood through the life and virtues of Our Lady. Remember what Our Lady said in Fatima, that even one Hail Mary can change a person ...
Apotheoun Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 "insomnia nomini Christa" These women are clearly sleep deprived!
jeffpugh Posted April 12, 2008 Posted April 12, 2008 lawl. Crazy how left these people are... none of them are in their right minds, obviously! like.. pf... "lesbian from birth" or whatever... there we go again, identifying ourselves with our feelings.
cmotherofpirl Posted April 13, 2008 Posted April 13, 2008 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1497733' date='Apr 12 2008, 02:30 AM']By the way, any contact information for these 'priests'? I'd like to write a letter to this Fr. Bridget (Father [i]is[/i] how you call a priest, right? Or perhaps I should be factually acurate and title it Ms.) and tell her exactly how I feel about this. I promise I'd try and be charitable. EDIT: OY! Just had a look around their website. Let's say I'm lucky I didn't have to experience my dinner a second time. Yeah, when I get my letter out, I'm going to ask what Bishop exactly is o.k. with this, because I doubt Archbishop Favalora or Bishop Dewane is (well...maybe Dewane. He is a little bit to the left of the scale...but probably not that left). From their 'ordained' page: Wait, did the sign on the door say "National Organization for Women"? Cause I coulda swore it said "Catholic Church"... This kinda stuff makes me a little frustrated. If they want all of these liberal, heretic things to be a part of their church, why can't they really just become Episcopalian or Methodist or any other female ordaining sect? Ugh. I need to go to bed. [/quote] You would have to address it to "priestess", to call them "mother" is insulting to women.I wonder what Dante would have called them?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now