An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mr Carter And Hamas

cmotherofpirl

praying4carmel

I believe Carter Said "Energy self sufficiency is the Moral equivalent of war"

Considering that most of you on this phorum were not alive during the 70's like we were, with Gas Lines and the Like, I believe that you don't have the necessary Livinghistory to make comments on what he is doing with Hamas. And he is NOT a Jew Hater.

Our grandparents, your great grandparents, Plopped Israel down in the Middle east after the war because of collective guilt over the Holocaust etc. How would you feel to be displaced? Also the Jews building a wall around themselves etc was not cool either.

Until Humility reigns on all sides we will continue to have these conflicts.

Remember that Mao and Stalin also were Merciless Killers not just Hitler. Mao's Numbers make Hitler and Stalin look like schoolkids.

The real enemy here is the devil, as well as our greed for oil.

more closely associated with the topic though: Both sides, those who have used terror against civilians and those who have oppressed civilians in fear of terror used against them, must be sat down and peace must be ironed out. I think it's sheer racism that make us expect it impossible to accomplish; it was accomplished with the IRA in Northern Ireland... unless the Palestinians are offered something to help them have a legitimate sense of self-government, this will not stop.

remember: amongst the Palestinians are not just Muslims (who deserve as much human dignity, freedom, and political rights as anyone in and of themselves), your brother Christians number among them as well and are definitely living under an OCCUPATION that has been imposed upon them. any freedom loving American is a hypocrite for opposing a Free Palestinian State.

like I said: Carter was not the best president in my opinion... in fact he was probably one of the worst ever in my opinion... though let me give him the highest praise I have to offer him: he ranks high in my book amongst the most well-intentioned presidents in history. and this action though well-intentioned will probably not do anything. i find it admirable that amidst the frustrating double talk of Israel and the US official governments, he's trying to actually sit down with the people who are involved... but nothing's going to happen until Israel actually commits itself to restoring the rights of the Palestinian people.

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1507215' date='Apr 23 2008, 12:34 AM']Carter did a lot for me. When gas was rationed and the lines at the gas stations were hours long, I made good money selling coffee from my little thermos to all those people waiting in line. Mortgage rates were 20%. Inflation and double digit inflation. As I child I dreamt of visiting Iran where my dad spent so much time. Somehow I doubt that I will get there anytime soon. Thanks to Mr. Carter's disastrous foreign policy the Shite radicals were given a country to base themselves and will soon have nuclear weapons. Yes, he cared but he was incredibly incompetent. As the expression goes, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."[/quote]

Don't blame Carter for what was transpiring in the early 80's. I remember well the first oil crisis and gas rationing because it occured in 1973 during the Nixon years. Opec refused to ship oil to countries that supported Israel. This was during the Yom Kippur war. The second oil crisis began in 1979 when the Shah of Iran was overthown and Iran became a Muslim run country. After the U.S. overthrew the popular PM of IRan in 1953 and supported the Shah, things started to get really good in Iran. Unfortunately, that meant it was getting westernized and the Shah was supporting Israel. So, he was forced to flee. Oil production fell in Iran after than and did not start to come back til sometime in 1980. Then, Iraq invaded Iran (which Reagan supported) Iran's oil production nearly stopped and Iraq's dropped also. Voila! Energy crisis.

Carter was in office for four years following eight years of Republican screw ups with Nixon and Ford and after a very expensive failed war in Vietnam. Don't blame Carter for the clandestine messing with other countries which was part of our history since WWII. Carter did not have enough time to bring on the 80's recession or ME decade.
I would rather have a man who lived by his moral values in charge of my country than one who just pretends to. At least then I do not have to be ashamed of things like dealing with countries that violate human rights or of living in a country that does the same.

praying4carmel

[quote name='Deb' post='1509540' date='Apr 25 2008, 03:05 PM']Don't blame Carter for what was transpiring in the early 80's. I remember well the first oil crisis and gas rationing because it occured in 1973 during the Nixon years. Opec refused to ship oil to countries that supported Israel. This was during the Yom Kippur war. The second oil crisis began in 1979 when the Shah of Iran was overthown and Iran became a Muslim run country. After the U.S. overthrew the popular PM of IRan in 1953 and supported the Shah, things started to get really good in Iran. Unfortunately, that meant it was getting westernized and the Shah was supporting Israel. So, he was forced to flee. Oil production fell in Iran after than and did not start to come back til sometime in 1980. Then, Iraq invaded Iran (which Reagan supported) Iran's oil production nearly stopped and Iraq's dropped also. Voila! Energy crisis.

Carter was in office for four years following eight years of Republican screw ups with Nixon and Ford and after a very expensive failed war in Vietnam. Don't blame Carter for the clandestine messing with other countries which was part of our history since WWII. Carter did not have enough time to bring on the 80's recession or ME decade.
I would rather have a man who lived by his moral values in charge of my country than one who just pretends to. At least then I do not have to be ashamed of things like dealing with countries that violate human rights or of living in a country that does the same.[/quote]

Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!!! DEB!!!!
:clap:

[quote name='praying4carmel' post='1509547' date='Apr 25 2008, 01:10 PM']Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!!! DEB!!!!
:clap:[/quote]

Thank you.

I noticed MercyME didn't have a response to that.