cmotherofpirl Posted May 5, 2008 Posted May 5, 2008 [quote name='apparent' post='1516579' date='May 2 2008, 10:17 AM']You see, you can make up stories but your imaginative opinions about motherhood don't make them so. There is no limit to a mothers love for her children. Sometimes love is harsh, sometimes it is a sword. Sometimes it's a cross. Mothers (and Fathers) are bound by flesh and blood to children of there own, pray for unity and closeness. "[i]Sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child[/i]." These words of William Shakespeare (Cf. King Lear) remind us, by contrast, of the respect and gratitude that we owe our parents.[/quote] Like I said, that is all fine and dandy if you have good parents. But I know too many abused kids and talked to too many caseworkers to miss the wide gap between your fantasy and reality out there. The reality is the biggest abusers of children are their parents. When you meet mothers who have tied their children in dark basements, or turned their daughters over to their husbands as "toys", you get a different view of "mother love".
apparent Posted May 5, 2008 Author Posted May 5, 2008 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1518753' date='May 4 2008, 09:15 PM']Like I said, that is all fine and dandy if you have good parents. But I know too many abused kids and talked to too many caseworkers to miss the wide gap between your fantasy and reality out there. The reality is the biggest abusers of children are their parents. When you meet mothers who have tied their children in dark basements, or turned their daughters over to their husbands as "toys", you get a different view of "mother love".[/quote] Harsh words on a tread meant to revere motherhood. My wife (a wonderful mother) always said if you can't say something nice don't say it. Yea, like that, she is.
cmotherofpirl Posted May 6, 2008 Posted May 6, 2008 [quote name='apparent' post='1519785' date='May 5 2008, 08:08 PM']Harsh words on a tread meant to revere motherhood. My wife (a wonderful mother) always said if you can't say something nice don't say it. Yea, like that, she is.[/quote] Honesty can be harsh at times, but the truth will set you free.
fides quarens intellectum Posted May 6, 2008 Posted May 6, 2008 At the very, very least - even those of us with less than idyllic mothers can agree that they did something pretty amazing for us: they birthed us instead of aborting us. i'm all for establishing minimums we can all agree on.
cmotherofpirl Posted May 7, 2008 Posted May 7, 2008 Yep. I can agree that is the minimun. Pray for the people whose mum made that the max as well.
rachael Posted May 7, 2008 Posted May 7, 2008 [quote name='apparent' post='1520667' date='May 6 2008, 05:05 PM']Honoring Mothers day will set you free[/quote] free from what exactly?
IcePrincessKRS Posted May 7, 2008 Posted May 7, 2008 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1520891' date='May 6 2008, 09:36 PM']Yep. I can agree that is the minimun. Pray for the people whose mum made that the max as well.[/quote] [quote name='rachael' post='1520892' date='May 6 2008, 09:37 PM']free from what exactly?[/quote]
apparent Posted May 8, 2008 Author Posted May 8, 2008 [quote name='rachael' post='1520892' date='May 6 2008, 09:37 PM']free from what exactly?[/quote] the truth
Archaeology cat Posted May 8, 2008 Posted May 8, 2008 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1520891' date='May 7 2008, 01:36 AM']Yep. I can agree that is the minimun. Pray for the people whose mum made that the max as well.[/quote]
xTrishaxLynnx Posted May 8, 2008 Posted May 8, 2008 [quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1520680' date='May 6 2008, 04:15 PM']At the very, very least - even those of us with less than idyllic mothers can agree that they did something pretty amazing for us: they birthed us instead of aborting us. i'm all for establishing minimums we can all agree on.[/quote] I am very thankful, and actually amazed, that my mother chose to have me instead of aborting me (she was 17 when she got pregnant with me.. and certianly couldnt afford a baby on her own) That's about the only thing she's done for me, but I agree with the fact that everyone should at the very least be thankful to our mothers for giving us a chance that so many don't get. The problem with Mother's Day is that other than saying "Thanks for having me" (which I think would be pretty lame and just make her feel bad) there's not much I can do as an outward sign of appreciation. Of course, I pray for her... but then I feel bad for not giving her something or doing something for her. They don't really make cards for mothers who dont actually do any mothering, do they?
Alycin Posted May 8, 2008 Posted May 8, 2008 Even if someone has a less-than-acceptable earthly mother... know that Mother Mary is the mama of all mamas and she provides unconditional love, tenderness, and warmth.
cmotherofpirl Posted May 8, 2008 Posted May 8, 2008 [quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1522539' date='May 8 2008, 06:54 PM']I am very thankful, and actually amazed, that my mother chose to have me instead of aborting me (she was 17 when she got pregnant with me.. and certianly couldnt afford a baby on her own) That's about the only thing she's done for me, but I agree with the fact that everyone should at the very least be thankful to our mothers for giving us a chance that so many don't get. The problem with Mother's Day is that other than saying "Thanks for having me" (which I think would be pretty lame and just make her feel bad) there's not much I can do as an outward sign of appreciation. Of course, I pray for her... but then I feel bad for not giving her something or doing something for her. They don't really make cards for mothers who dont actually do any mothering, do they?[/quote] If they did, they would do a land office business this week!
rachael Posted May 8, 2008 Posted May 8, 2008 [quote name='apparent' post='1522517' date='May 8 2008, 05:06 PM']the truth[/quote] i thought the truth was a good thing?
apparent Posted May 9, 2008 Author Posted May 9, 2008 (edited) [quote name='rachael' post='1522588' date='May 8 2008, 07:56 PM']i thought the truth was a good thing?[/quote]It is, when it is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Seriously, All I'm saying is no matter how you feel about your mom chances is she needs you in a spiritual way, to fulfill her life and dreams. Edited May 9, 2008 by apparent
rachael Posted May 9, 2008 Posted May 9, 2008 [quote name='apparent' post='1522643' date='May 8 2008, 08:07 PM']Seriously, All I'm saying is no matter how you feel about your mom chances is she needs you in a spiritual way, to fulfill her life and dreams.[/quote] Somehow I doubt it.
Jaime Posted May 9, 2008 Posted May 9, 2008 [quote name='apparent' post='1522643' date='May 8 2008, 08:07 PM']It is, when it is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Seriously, All I'm saying is no matter how you feel about your mom chances is she needs you in a spiritual way, to fulfill her life and dreams.[/quote] we call that projection
Mitchell_b55 Posted May 9, 2008 Posted May 9, 2008 [url="http://www.daily-peep.com/?p=123"]My Ode to My Mother[/url]
apparent Posted May 9, 2008 Author Posted May 9, 2008 (edited) [quote name='hot stuff' post='1522661' date='May 8 2008, 09:23 PM']we call that projection[/quote] If you mean Freudian Projection then your wrong, that’s not my point. Having children really is a choice, when one makes that choice, to bear child the journey only begins at nine months. Babies are so helpless, so dependent, so wonderful, so glorious and before you know it there gone with lives of there own and that is good and the way it should be. It more like refection, than projection Edited May 9, 2008 by apparent
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now