An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contraception

Archaeology cat

Archaeology cat

[quote]Aching said: Um, I feel really stupid, but I honestly don't know...what do contraceptives do that's so bad?[/quote]

[quote]Archaeology cat said: Well, for one they interfere in both the unitive & procreative purposes of marriage. If I take the pill, I'm in effect telling my husband he can have all of me except for my fertility. For another thing, it is possible for some forms of the pill (perhaps all forms, but I don't know for certain) to act as an abortifacient by interfering in implantation of the embryo (I think this is most common in the mini-pill, but I'll have to look). True the main ways the pill works are to prevent ovulation & change the cervical mucus so that fertilisation is much more difficult if ovulation does happen, but it also works to thin the endometrium so that implantation is quite difficult if the egg is fertilised. And the pill just messes up your body (speaking from personal experience).

As for other contraceptives, like barrier methods, they again interfere with the unitive & procreative purposes of marriage by not giving all of yourself to your spouse & deliberately trying to prevent pregnancy instead of working the body if pregnancy needs to be postponed.

And IUDs just scare me. Putting copper in one's body seems dangerous to me.[/quote]

[quote]Aching said: Okay...I understand that, to some degree, but it seems smarter to me to be on the pill rather than have a baby you're not ready for yet.[/quote]

I thought perhaps we should have a thread for this, instead of hijacking the Obama thread further. :) Anyway, being on the pill when there is no medical reason has problems. (as there are some things that need to be treated with hormones, though in general I think the pill is overprescribed for medical reasons without determining the root of the problem. Though this isn't always the case.) For one, fertility is not a disease or illness that needs to be treated/suppressed. And as someone who was on the pill for 8 years (went on at 16/17, have been off about 1.5 years), I can tell you it's not a good idea. A woman's risk of breast cancer is greatly increased if on the pill for longer than 3 years prior to getting pregnant, for one. The pill also pollutes the environment, and so is definitely not a "green" option.

As for wanting to postpone pregnancy, there's abstinence & there's NFP. My husband & I personally use the Billings Ovulation Method (a member here, prose, is a BOM instructor, I believe). It charts the cervical mucus observations to determine when I'm fertile or not, and we can choose to abstain during the fertile times if we have a grave reason to do so (examples could be financial, health of the woman, things of that nature). Billings is as effective in postponing pregnancy as the pill, and doesn't have abortifacient effects, and is also effective at conceiving when the couple wants a baby. Not to mention that it is also a good way to track the woman's reproductive health, as changes in cervical mucus are often the first signs of problems.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions. These are things I wish I'd known at 17 so I could have known to question why my doctor put me on the pill (my medical reasons didn't warrant treatment with the pill, as they were not hormonal in nature). As a result, I'm quite passionate about this.

God bless!

Madame Vengier

There is also growing proof that the pill leads to all sorts of cancers of the female reproductive system. This came out in a reputable medical journal not many years back and then suddenly disappeared. The birth control pill industry is massive. Tons and tons of money there. No one wants it out that this causes (or could cause) cancers.

Artificial contraception is simple unnatural. It only works because it effectively forces the woman's body to do things it does not want to do. It stands to reason that after decades of this abuse to the reproductive system, something is going to go wrong. Cancer notwithstanding, many women have a very difficult time conceiving after they have used the pill for years and years. It's very difficult for the body to be forced to do something it doesn't want to do (something it was not MADE to do) and then after 10 or 15 or 20 years of this, expect it to suddenly do what nature intended it to.

I am not a doctor or a scientist, but it only takes eyes to see that the countries around the world where contraceptive is commonly and steadily used there are all sorts of cancers of the reproductive system that you don't see in countries where the pill isn't used as much. Not that these cancers aren't everywhere--they are just far, far more rampant where the pill is used as a normal part of life. It's just sort of obvious. And no one wants to talk about it. These days it seems like every week there is a piece on the morning shows about yet another thing that can cause cancer. Eventually, they are going to tell us that even breathing will cause cancer! But you will never hear anyone talking about the potential of the pill to cause cancer. Everyone puts their heads in the sand when it comes to this. And women continue suffering and dying for it.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1519212' date='May 5 2008, 10:44 AM']There is also growing proof that the pill leads to all sorts of cancers of the female reproductive system. This came out in a reputable medical journal not many years back and then suddenly disappeared. The birth control pill industry is massive. Tons and tons of money there. No one wants it out that this causes (or could cause) cancers.[/quote] I've read about this, too, but can't remember where. Do you happen to remember which medical journal or have a link?

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1519212' date='May 5 2008, 10:44 AM']Artificial contraception is simple unnatural. It only works because it effectively forces the woman's body to do things it does not want to do. It stands to reason that after decades of this abuse to the reproductive system, something is going to go wrong. Cancer notwithstanding, many women have a very difficult time conceiving after they have used the pill for years and years. It's very difficult for the body to be forced to do something it doesn't want to do (something it was not MADE to do) and then after 10 or 15 or 20 years of this, expect it to suddenly do what nature intended it to.[/quote] Yeah, I got lucky here, I found out that the pill I was on could lead to infertility for up to 2 years after coming off of it; I was able to get pregnant within 2 months. :)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1519212' date='May 5 2008, 10:44 AM']There is also growing proof that the pill leads to all sorts of cancers of the female reproductive system. This came out in a reputable medical journal not many years back and then suddenly disappeared. The birth control pill industry is massive. Tons and tons of money there. No one wants it out that this causes (or could cause) cancers.[/quote] I've read about this, too, but can't remember where. Do you happen to remember which medical journal or have a link?

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1519212' date='May 5 2008, 10:44 AM']Artificial contraception is simple unnatural. It only works because it effectively forces the woman's body to do things it does not want to do. It stands to reason that after decades of this abuse to the reproductive system, something is going to go wrong. Cancer notwithstanding, many women have a very difficult time conceiving after they have used the pill for years and years. It's very difficult for the body to be forced to do something it doesn't want to do (something it was not MADE to do) and then after 10 or 15 or 20 years of this, expect it to suddenly do what nature intended it to.[/quote] Yeah, I got lucky here, I found out that the pill I was on could lead to infertility for up to 2 years after coming off of it; I was able to get pregnant within 2 months. :)

I'm not an expert in women's health, but there's a new growing field in what's called NaProTechnology which aims to balance the hormones tailored to each individual instead of giving everyone a packaged deal. Website with more info here: [url="http://www.naprotechnology.com/"]http://www.naprotechnology.com/[/url]

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Greyhawk' post='1519242' date='May 5 2008, 01:12 PM']I'm not an expert in women's health, but there's a new growing field in what's called NaProTechnology which aims to balance the hormones tailored to each individual instead of giving everyone a packaged deal. Website with more info here: [url="http://www.naprotechnology.com/"]http://www.naprotechnology.com/[/url][/quote]
Can't believe I forgot to mention that - thanks!

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1519225' date='May 5 2008, 05:39 AM']I've read about this, too, but can't remember where. Do you happen to remember which medical journal or have a link?

Yeah, I got lucky here, I found out that the pill I was on could lead to infertility for up to 2 years after coming off of it; I was able to get pregnant within 2 months. :)[/quote]

I don't remember. But here are some good links on the subject. I can try to find the name of the journal later. Gotta go to work now:

[url="http://www.naturalnews.com/020957.html"]http://www.naturalnews.com/020957.html[/url]

[url="http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2005/may/05050411.html"]http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2005/may/05050411.html[/url]

[url="http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=52585"]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=52585[/url]

[b]"...re-enforcing the recent classification of oral contraceptives as Type 1 carcinogens."[/b]

Just a quick memory that popped into my head: I had a friend a few years back who was living with her soon-to-be husband (they are married now and a really lovely couple). One of her biggest fears in life was getting cancer. It was just some kind of fear that got planted in her when she was a child and she never grew out of it. I can't remember, maybe her grandma had cancer or something. Anyway, I told her one day (when the article had come out about the pill and cancer) that she can't stop whatever happens to her but she can control some factors. I told her about the cancer study and the findings about the pill. Her comment was "That scares me to death. But what choice do I have?" I was just stunned. I believe a lot of women will put their heads in the sand over this issue. Apparently, they would rather risk getting cancer then to give up premarital sex or take the time and discipline to practice safe, natural methods of contraception. But when studies and findings come out about other factors that cause cancer, these same women would sit glued to their TV screen so they can find out what things they should avoid to stay safe and healthy.

Shame, really.

cmotherofpirl

The pill has a definite link to breast cancer, and can totally and permanently suppress the woman's sex drive, which is something the husband should SERIOUSLY think about, unless he wants years of "not tonight " dear.
It also enters the water supply after leaving the body and interferes with the sexual development of fish since it stays in the environment. People eat lots of fish and drink lots of water-based products so what do you think it is be doing to unborn babies???

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1519250' date='May 5 2008, 01:45 PM']Just a quick memory that popped into my head: I had a friend a few years back who was living with her soon-to-be husband (they are married now and a really lovely couple). One of her biggest fears in life was getting cancer. It was just some kind of fear that got planted in her when she was a child and she never grew out of it. I can't remember, maybe her grandma had cancer or something. Anyway, I told her one day (when the article had come out about the pill and cancer) that she can't stop whatever happens to her but she can control some factors. I told her about the cancer study and the findings about the pill. Her comment was "That scares me to death. But what choice do I have?" I was just stunned. I believe a lot of women will put their heads in the sand over this issue. Apparently, they would rather risk getting cancer then to give up premarital sex or take the time and discipline to practice safe, natural methods of contraception. But when studies and findings come out about other factors that cause cancer, these same women would sit glued to their TV screen so they can find out what things they should avoid to stay safe and healthy.[/quote]
Thanks for the links. :)

I will say that it's not just about not caring to find out, it's that women trust what their doctors tell them and don't question it. Well, I can't speak for all women, but that's how I was going in at 17 and being put on the pill. I didn't question it when my doc said the pill would "fix" my problem (which of course it didn't since my hormones were just fine, but it did mask the problem). When I got off the pill and started using NFP, doctors and nurses have told me some crazy things to try and dissuade me from going that route (such as saying a woman can't possibly tell when she's fertile, when there is, in fact, solid science to back up NFP). After I had Kieran I tried explaining it and the nurses just kept telling me that breastfeeding wasn't an effective way to postpone the return of fertility (they didn't seem to be listening). I know some is just an unwillingness on the part of the woman to look at it, but people teaching sex ed, or in the medical profession, should also be more forthcoming about the dangers of the pill (I wasn't told about any of the dangers) and about the science of NFP (which some docs, even OB/GYNs seem to have no clue about). And of course, some women perhaps see the risk of cancer as so remote, or so far away, they don't think about it. Goodness, I'm rambling again. Ah, well.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1519260' date='May 5 2008, 10:11 AM']Thanks for the links. :)

I will say that it's not just about not caring to find out, it's that women trust what their doctors tell them and don't question it. Well, I can't speak for all women, but that's how I was going in at 17 and being put on the pill. I didn't question it when my doc said the pill would "fix" my problem (which of course it didn't since my hormones were just fine, but it did mask the problem). When I got off the pill and started using NFP, doctors and nurses have told me some crazy things to try and dissuade me from going that route (such as saying a woman can't possibly tell when she's fertile, when there is, in fact, solid science to back up NFP). After I had Kieran I tried explaining it and the nurses just kept telling me that breastfeeding wasn't an effective way to postpone the return of fertility (they didn't seem to be listening). I know some is just an unwillingness on the part of the woman to look at it, but people teaching sex ed, or in the medical profession, should also be more forthcoming about the dangers of the pill (I wasn't told about any of the dangers) and about the science of NFP (which some docs, even OB/GYNs seem to have no clue about). And of course, some women perhaps see the risk of cancer as so remote, or so far away, they don't think about it. Goodness, I'm rambling again. Ah, well.[/quote]
Doesn't sound like rambling to me, just basic common sense, which seems sorely lacking today.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1519258' date='May 5 2008, 08:06 AM']The pill has a definite link to breast cancer, and can totally and permanently suppress the woman's sex drive, which is something the husband should SERIOUSLY think about, unless he wants years of "not tonight " dear.
It also enters the water supply after leaving the body and interferes with the sexual development of fish since it stays in the environment. People eat lots of fish and drink lots of water-based products so what do you think it is be doing to unborn babies???[/quote]

They just came out a month ago with stats on the chemicals in the water out here in the DC/MD/VA area. I don't even want to tell you what they found in our drinking water.

Suffice to say, anyone drinking DC water for the past 25 years is crazy anyway. We all fiddler [why does the word fil-ter turn to "fiddler" in this forum??] out here. But I'm not sure to what degree that helps with the type of stuff they found in trace levels.

Ugh. Can't think about it.

Edited by Madame Vengier

Madame Vengier

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1519258' date='May 5 2008, 08:06 AM']The pill has a definite link to breast cancer, and can totally and permanently suppress the woman's sex drive, which is something the husband should SERIOUSLY think about, unless he wants years of "not tonight " dear.
It also enters the water supply after leaving the body and interferes with the sexual development of fish since it stays in the environment. People eat lots of fish and drink lots of water-based products so what do you think it is be doing to unborn babies???[/quote]

Oh, one more thing about that...

The unborn babies...other stats have come out about parts of the USA that unusually high numbers of children born with Downs Syndrome. In New England where I went to college there were six (SIX) families in our community at the time who all had children in the age range of 7, 8, 9 years old with Downs. Six. Can't tell me it wasn't something in the water that did that.

CatherineM

One of the topics we were discussing was that BC could be used for non-contraceptive reasons, and one of those are painful menstrual cramps. Just by chance I looked up the medication I was prescribed for the abdominal pain I was experiencing due to a liver condition, and one of the on-label uses is for the relief of menstrual cramps. I had never heard of the medicine before. I had years of horrible cramps, and knew many friends with them as well, and the only suggestions any of them were ever given was BC pills. It's a cheap medicine, non-narcotic, and worked great. Sometimes I think doctors are just in such a hurry that they reach for what is quick and easy and doesn't require any extra thought.

CoffeeCatholic

Just for some facts.

During ovulation, women have natural levels of estrogen and progesterone around 50-400 Picograms per day.

Hormone Replacement Therapy which has been shown by the American Cancer Socieity to increase the risk of Breast Cancer and Heart Disease has levels of 300,000-625,000 Picograms per day, depending on your dose.

Birth Control Pills contain levels of the exact same ingredients (synthetic hormones) at 20,000,000-50,000,000 (yes that's the right number of 0's) Picograms. That's 400,000 times the natural level and 75 times that of HRT.

In my book, that's called Overdosing. How on earth is that safe?