An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contraception

Archaeology cat

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1519426' date='May 5 2008, 05:45 PM']Just for some facts.

During ovulation, women have natural levels of estrogen and progesterone around 50-400 Picograms per day.

Hormone Replacement Therapy which has been shown by the American Cancer Socieity to increase the risk of Breast Cancer and Heart Disease has levels of 300,000-625,000 Picograms per day, depending on your dose.

Birth Control Pills contain levels of the exact same ingredients (synthetic hormones) at 20,000,000-50,000,000 (yes that's the right number of 0's) Picograms. That's 400,000 times the natural level and 75 times that of HRT.

In my book, that's called Overdosing. How on earth is that safe?[/quote]
Well, that definitely explains why I went through withdrawal when I came off the pill.

MissScripture

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1519260' date='May 5 2008, 09:11 AM']Thanks for the links. :)

I will say that it's not just about not caring to find out, it's that women trust what their doctors tell them and don't question it. Well, I can't speak for all women, but that's how I was going in at 17 and being put on the pill. I didn't question it when my doc said the pill would "fix" my problem (which of course it didn't since my hormones were just fine, but it did mask the problem). When I got off the pill and started using NFP, doctors and nurses have told me some crazy things to try and dissuade me from going that route (such as saying a woman can't possibly tell when she's fertile, when there is, in fact, solid science to back up NFP). After I had Kieran I tried explaining it and the nurses just kept telling me that breastfeeding wasn't an effective way to postpone the return of fertility (they didn't seem to be listening). I know some is just an unwillingness on the part of the woman to look at it, but people teaching sex ed, or in the medical profession, should also be more forthcoming about the dangers of the pill (I wasn't told about any of the dangers) and about the science of NFP (which some docs, even OB/GYNs seem to have no clue about). And of course, some women perhaps see the risk of cancer as so remote, or so far away, they don't think about it. Goodness, I'm rambling again. Ah, well.[/quote]
Well, it kinda makes sense that doctors wouldn't learn it unless they specifically set out to learn it, because the pharmacological industry is massive, so they're going to have a much larger presence as far as birth control goes than NFP would.
My mom was lucky, in nursing school (so she isn't even prescribing meds, but at least she heard about it in the beginning) they HAD to take NFP classes. Of course, she went to a nursing school at a Catholic hospital.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1519472' date='May 5 2008, 06:38 PM']Well, it kinda makes sense that doctors wouldn't learn it unless they specifically set out to learn it, because the pharmacological industry is massive, so they're going to have a much larger presence as far as birth control goes than NFP would.[/quote]
Yeah, & the drug reps are constantly in the offices (well, at the OB/GYN office I worked at in high school). So it doesn't let up after med school.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1519426' date='May 5 2008, 11:45 AM']Just for some facts.

During ovulation, women have natural levels of estrogen and progesterone around 50-400 Picograms per day.

Hormone Replacement Therapy which has been shown by the American Cancer Socieity to increase the risk of Breast Cancer and Heart Disease has levels of 300,000-625,000 Picograms per day, depending on your dose.

Birth Control Pills contain levels of the exact same ingredients (synthetic hormones) at 20,000,000-50,000,000 (yes that's the right number of 0's) Picograms. That's 400,000 times the natural level and 75 times that of HRT.

In my book, that's called Overdosing. How on earth is that safe?[/quote]

Aaaaaack!! It's HORRIBLE. See, this is what I don't get...how is this okay in anyone's book?????? See how much synthetic power it takes to reverse nature??? I would go so far as to say this is even a violent assault on the body. It's just......horrendous!!! Makes. me. crazy.

Thank you, Jesus, for saving me from this nightmare! I'm so happy that I don't have a lifestyle that calls for contraceptives and I'm so happy that when I get married it will be to HAVE BABIES. I don't have to deal with this croutons.

(Or adopt. Just want to throw that disclaimer in there.)

Madame Vengier

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1519414' date='May 5 2008, 11:34 AM']One of the topics we were discussing was that BC could be used for non-contraceptive reasons, and one of those are painful menstrual cramps.[/quote]

BC pill is also prescribed for treatment of endometriosis, which I happen to have pretty severely. I've already have two major surgical procedures for it and I'm supposed to be on the pill until I get ready to procreate. I did do that for about 6 months but I just can't take having it in my body and it wasn't doing what it was supposed to do for me anyway. It's possible I am immune to it. Whatever. If my fertility is messed up then I'll just adopt.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1519485' date='May 5 2008, 06:59 PM']BC pill is also prescribed for treatment of endometriosis, which I happen to have pretty severely. I've already have two major surgical procedures for it and I'm supposed to be on the pill until I get ready to procreate. I did do that for about 6 months but I just can't take having it in my body and it wasn't doing what it was supposed to do for me anyway. It's possible I am immune to it. Whatever. If my fertility is messed up then I'll just adopt.[/quote]
No, the pill doesn't always fix endo. My sister had severe endo, and had something like 7 surgeries for it. She's always maintained that she'll adopt if/when she gets married, since she can't have biological children. So I somewhat understand, and I'll say a prayer for you with this.

MissScripture

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1519476' date='May 5 2008, 01:43 PM']Yeah, & the drug reps are constantly in the offices (well, at the OB/GYN office I worked at in high school). So it doesn't let up after med school.[/quote]
Exactly. And when the drs are rushed, they're just going to prescribe what they've heard about CONSTANTLY. It's easier than having to do a whole lot of research, when they are swamped with patients.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1519491' date='May 5 2008, 01:04 PM']No, the pill doesn't always fix endo. My sister had severe endo, and had something like 7 surgeries for it. She's always maintained that she'll adopt if/when she gets married, since she can't have biological children. So I somewhat understand, and I'll say a prayer for you with this.[/quote]

Thank you for that. I'm resigned to it. And since I'm not married I have no way to know how it's going to affect my fertility when the time comes. I am actually excited at the idea of adopting and I hope I will be able to do that even if I can have my own child, too.

Edited by Madame Vengier