Alycin Posted May 14, 2008 Posted May 14, 2008 [quote name='prose' post='1527907' date='May 14 2008, 12:27 AM']Maybe I am just a sick person [/quote] Nah. My comment wasn't directed at you.
XIX Posted May 14, 2008 Posted May 14, 2008 [quote name='Norseman82' post='1526477' date='May 12 2008, 11:02 PM']Before we get up in arms over the whole "oh, it's not nice to call humans x", please keep in mind that the Bible often uses unflattering language. I just looked in my concordance and found two references in the New Testament where people are called dogs, and in Semitic societies that is a MAJOR insult.[/quote] Doesn't matter. Calling another human being "trash" is completely and objectively false. It would be no different from calling someone a flagpole. The Bible does contain name-calling, but that doesn't mean that all name-calling is called for or even accurate. You could make a case that she's clearly a sex-crazed teen and that might be an accurate assessment, but even that is something I'd hesitate to say about a girl I have never met. None of us had any idea that she even existed except for what we read in this article. Clearly we are in no position to draw an accurate conclusion about her, other than the fact that her outfit was horrendous.
XIX Posted May 14, 2008 Posted May 14, 2008 [quote name='prose' post='1527634' date='May 13 2008, 09:39 PM']Does anyone else think the title of this thread sounds like it is about something pornographic?[/quote] Woah. that went over my head. Until now.
Alycin Posted May 14, 2008 Posted May 14, 2008 (edited) I need to clarify something. In context, I think it would be almost impossible to misinterpret my statement about the bible. On top of that, none of my other posts on phatmass would give anyone any reason to believe that I challenge God or His authority or the truth in Scripture. When someone says, "Oh, I found X in the bible so that means it's okay!", I have to pause and ask for clarification. (Which, by the way, I did.) Murder is in the bible. Rape is in the bible. The Bible is full of stories with both the "good guys" and the "bad guys" of our history, so, naturally, it contains both good events and bad events... seeing as how it is full of humans. Even the "good guys" made mistakes (Moses committing murder, the disciple turning against Christ). I wouldn't think this would need to be explained, but I guess I'm wrong. Also, Norseman, the fact that you felt the need to call me "kid" because you disagreed with what I was saying (or, more appropriately, misunderstood what I was saying) exhibits a lack of maturity on YOUR part, not mine... which is ironic. /vent Edited May 14, 2008 by Alycin
Norseman82 Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 My apologies, but I get VERY upset when amateur theologians think they are qualified to label certain parts of the Bible as antilegomena. This is not the only Catholic website I've encountered that, by the way. And it is legitimate for members of the older generation to correct members of the younger. The younger are supposed to accept the correction with grace. Of course, I come from a generation where sassing one's elders was met with punishment instead of the elders being expected to put up with it.
Alycin Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='Norseman82' post='1532582' date='May 18 2008, 06:22 PM']And it is legitimate for members of the older generation to correct members of the younger.[/quote] Makes sense.... when a correction is actually applicable and the "elder" isn't in the wrong. [quote name='Norseman82' post='1532582' date='May 18 2008, 06:22 PM']The younger are supposed to accept the correction with grace.[/quote] And it's probably ideal for the "elder" not to be condescending in their correction, too. [quote name='Norseman82' post='1532582' date='May 18 2008, 06:22 PM']Of course, I come from a generation where sassing one's elders was met with punishment instead of the elders being expected to put up with it.[/quote] I respect all people, not just my elders, until they give me a reason not to. Thanks for your apology. It's accepted. As an aside, I have no problem learning about things from people who know better. I wouldn't even call myself an amateur theologian; I haven't even gone through RCIA yet and my "personal interpretation" of the bible has been the only thing I've known for a very long time, until I started researching Catholicism. Sometimes I have questions, and they are sincere, I'm not posing them to be sarcastic. That's why I asked in this thread who said what, and in what context... because I really had no idea and I found it pertinent to the discussion.
Alycin Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='XIX' post='1527927' date='May 14 2008, 12:32 AM']Doesn't matter. Calling another human being "trash" is completely and objectively false. It would be no different from calling someone a flagpole.[/quote]
Norseman82 Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='Alycin' post='1532604' date='May 18 2008, 06:34 PM']I haven't even gone through RCIA yet and my "personal interpretation" of the bible has been the only thing I've known for a very long time, until I started researching Catholicism. Sometimes I have questions, and they are sincere, I'm not posing them to be sarcastic. That's why I asked in this thread who said what, and in what context... because I really had no idea and I found it pertinent to the discussion.[/quote] My apologies, I did not realize that you had not gone through RCIA yet. But now that things appear to be calming down a bit, the entire point I was trying to make is that we should not always be offended by bluntness. There is blunt talk in the bible. I agree that there is a lot of stuff in the bible that shows the dark side of humanity, like the rapes and murders mentioned previously, but there is also blunt language by our Lord and the apostles when used in correction of others. Jesus called pharisees "broods of vipers"; Paul called Cretans "gluttons" (see Titus 1:13, give or take a verse). These are just a few citations I can think of off the top of my head. Now, I agree that we should not be unnecessarily mean, but sometimes people confuse "mean" with "blunt" or try to use PC and "niceness" standards to silence blunt Christian talk that sometimes is indeed necesaary. But then again, maybe I'm just an old geezer who has developed a thick skin to not be scared away by some of the charges of not being "PC" or "nice enough". That can happen as one progresses through life. Now, you'll have to pardon me, it's time for my Metamucil.....
Alycin Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='Norseman82' post='1532711' date='May 18 2008, 07:14 PM']Now, you'll have to pardon me, it's time for my Metamucil.....[/quote]
Apotheoun Posted May 18, 2008 Posted May 18, 2008 [quote name='XIX' post='1527927' date='May 13 2008, 10:32 PM']Clearly we are in no position to draw an accurate conclusion about her, other than the fact that her outfit was horrendous.[/quote] True, the outfit doesn't look good.
Totus Tuus Posted May 19, 2008 Posted May 19, 2008 (edited) I'm glad the school didn't let her in. Normally people can get away with immodesty so it's good to see that at least there ARE some rules concerning dress at school still. I just feel sorry for her. No girl should be made to feel that she has to dress that way in order to get attention. I really don't think she'd be wearing that if she felt appreciated as a person. Edited May 19, 2008 by Totus Tuus
cathoholic_anonymous Posted May 19, 2008 Posted May 19, 2008 [quote name='Alycin' post='1527080' date='May 13 2008, 06:34 PM']Well what do you know! After some browsing I found almost an exact replica of her dress on greatglam! [url="http://greatglam.com/pd-stacked.cfm"]Link [/url] <-- WARNING: features an actual girl modeling a lousy excuse for a dress.[/quote] Somewhat alarmingly, that dress has sold out... It must be all the fashion to go out dressed in a glorified dishcloth these days.
jeffpugh Posted May 19, 2008 Posted May 19, 2008 Yeah... actually, despite the howling and whistling of men (so to speak), provocative dress is the epitome of banality when it comes to attractiveness.
let_go_let_God Posted May 19, 2008 Posted May 19, 2008 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1533664' date='May 19 2008, 01:04 PM']Yeah... actually, despite the howling and whistling of men (so to speak), provocative dress is the epitome of banality when it comes to attractiveness.[/quote] It is sad though, many girls look for that same sort of reaction. Personally there was a time in my life that I would have loved to hear someone whistle at me but at the same time, my boyfriend, (now fiance) would call me pretty or beautiful and meant it, and I threatened to deck him. I had some really bad body image problems that he's helped me see through. God bless- LGLG
AngelofMusic Posted May 26, 2008 Posted May 26, 2008 (edited) Yeah not EVEN stepping into the calling people things pool...... *steps away from edge* However, I will go in this pool! *dives in* That was a dress? Maybe as she was getting ready she fell in the draperies! Edited to say that NO ONE should have that color draperies Edited May 26, 2008 by AngelofMusic
Totus Tuus Posted May 27, 2008 Posted May 27, 2008 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1533664' date='May 19 2008, 02:04 PM']Yeah... actually, despite the howling and whistling of men (so to speak), provocative dress is the epitome of banality when it comes to attractiveness.[/quote] But some girls don't realize (because they have never experienced it from fathers or other men) that there is so much more out there and available to them as far as affection goes than getting whistled at. It's really sad!
johnnydigit Posted May 27, 2008 Posted May 27, 2008 bravo! now if only there was a chaperone at church doors.. was it just me or wasn't this even more entertaining, at the end, "In other fashion news, WKMG-TV reports that Bob Hezzelwood is suing the sheriff's department in Lee County, Fla., because deputies gave him a ticket for wearing a Speedo." [url="http://www.local6.com/news/16235301/detail.html"]http://www.local6.com/news/16235301/detail.html[/url]
AngelofMusic Posted May 27, 2008 Posted May 27, 2008 [quote name='johnnydigit' post='1544684' date='May 27 2008, 03:18 AM']bravo! now if only there was a chaperone at church doors.. was it just me or wasn't this even more entertaining, at the end, "In other fashion news, WKMG-TV reports that Bob Hezzelwood is suing the sheriff's department in Lee County, Fla., because deputies gave him a ticket for wearing a Speedo." [url="http://www.local6.com/news/16235301/detail.html"]http://www.local6.com/news/16235301/detail.html[/url][/quote]
johnnydigit Posted May 28, 2008 Posted May 28, 2008 maybe she was going to "Dancing with the Stars"..
StColette Posted May 28, 2008 Posted May 28, 2008 [quote name='johnnydigit' post='1544684' date='May 27 2008, 03:18 AM']bravo! now if only there was a chaperone at church doors..[/quote]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now