An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mcid

Starets

Well, I have been here for 50 days now. Time moves at a leisurely pace here. This gives plenty of time to contemplate and pray. It is not a hard life, but it is certainly a relentless one. I intend to persevere. They will have to kick me out, and I don't intend to give them a reason to!

The day I left was a very long day. I got up at 12:45AM and started hauling stuff down to the basement of the apartment building for disposal. There wasn't too much stuff left. There was really just my bed by that point. I then finished cleaning the apartment. I took a cab to the airport and got there in plenty of time. I had anticipated possible problems but there were none. I sailed through customs without a problem. I was picked up at the Albuquerque Airport at about 1PM. I went out for supper in a town about 50 miles from the abbey. I arrived around 5PM or so, just in time for the Silent Prayer at 5:20PM. That is where I date the beginning of my monastic life to.

I did not have a problem adjusting to the Prayer Schedule. I guess it was just because I knew what was expected and just naturally fell into the rhythm. I'm glad about how smooth the transition has been.

It is amazing just how dark it is when it is overcast here. The nearest streetlight is a good 20 miles away, so there's no light pollution. There are a couple lights on the top of one of the casitas, and that helps me find my way from my casita to the casita with the bathroom. But if the abbey building itself has no lights on it is almost totally dark. And quiet? At night sometimes the only sound is your own breathing.

Most of my Work Periods have been on the Holy Website. They have some CMS software installed on it. I am not crazy about it but it does make making changes a lot easier. It is a venerable website but it hasn't really been overhauled since I checked it for Link Rot almost three years ago. So there is a lot to do. But I have also been Assistant Cook 6 times now. When you are Assistant Cook, you don't have to show up for the Little Hours. You can't really anyway because you are cooking and preparing food for 30+ people.

I am responsible for the Holy Website, the Holy Computer Network and the Holy Phone System. If I were to have any more influence in the way the abbey communicates with the outside world, I would have to also pick up the mail and parcels!

I have made a lot of edits on the Holy Website. I have also added my "A Day in the Life of Christ in the Desert" file as well as my "Liturgy of the Hours Resources Page" to the site. I have also put together a Photo Gallery. I have decided to use a third party web site called "myphotoalbum.com" so feel free to bookmark [url="http://christinthedesert.myphotoalbum.com"]http://christinthedesert.myphotoalbum.com[/url]. We might decide to move it if it gets too annoying. I am currently editing some commentaries on the Rule of St. Benedict that Abbot Philip wrote a few years ago.

The Prior led the junior monks, including me, on a hike to the top of the cliffs behind the Abbey Church. It was a long hike with about a 1,000 foot elevation gain overall. Once there, we planted a cross between two others.

There have been some personality clashes and misunderstandings. That is to be expected in a moderately large and very multicultural abbey like this one. But I am getting along quite well. The abbot says he is glad I am here and not just because of my computer skills. That is good to know. Both he and the cellarer (business manager) are confident that I will persevere. That is very good news indeed.

It really is amazing to be here, in many ways. Postulancy is a lot different from Observership. You start taking a much bigger role in the community life. Who knows? Maybe in 6 years' time, I will have my Solemn Profession here.

The abbey is packed right now. We are even using rooms that are not supposed to be cells as cells! Our Lady of the Desert will soon be moving into temporary quarters while their new monastery is set up. That will free up 8 cells that were built between when the Old Cells were built and the big square cloister. So I guess that makes them the Middle Aged Cells! Also, the abbey will be starting up a Vietnamese Domus on land they are looking at that is about an hour and a half out of Dallas. They have permission from the Bishop to set it up, and the Council of Deans has given the abbot permission to buy the property. It might be a year or so before the Vietnamese brothers can move over there.

Christ in the Desert already has 3 daughter houses, but this one will be the first one it has founded on its own rather than having an existing community approach them to be a sponsor.

I also finally got around to seeing “The Monastery”, the documentary that was shot at the abbey two years ago. I was in the Chapter Room when the production company made its pitch to the monks. Overall, I liked the series. There were a few things that could have been worded better, especially the infamous “God needs us” sound bite. Many of the answers given were not as intellectually rigorous as they probably could have been. So I can see how sanctimonious gits might get their knickers in a twist over some parts of it.

I just thought I would update you on my progress.

puellapaschalis

Thanks so much for the update, Br. Dunstan :) It's fantastic to hear from you. Please keep me in your prayers!

praying4carmel

Thank you for the update!! I love checking in on the Blog and receiving Fr. Abbot's Homily each week.
I am praying for you, Please pray for me as I discern..Hope to have my mind made up by next month...

Peace
+
Nancy

Edited by praying4carmel

Dunstan, I am so glad to see your update here. I'm a regular reader of the Abbot's Homily also. Sounds like a beautiful place. Am praying for your perseverence--keep posting, as we are sorely in need of some male balance on the phorum!

How wonderful to hear from you. Your Father Abbot is such an insightful, blessed man, I love reading what he writes. God be with you as you continue your journey. Remember us in your prayers.
Your sister in Christ,
Alicemary

Guadalupe23

Thank you Br. for noting your experiences. I've never been given the opportunity to "sneak a peek" at the lifestyle of male religious life. Those pictures on the web are great! Thanks so much for sharing. Yes, please, keep us updated. The sisters, are they close to where you are right now? Peace and many blessings. Keep us fellow discerners in your prayers!

[quote name='Staretz' post='1529445' date='May 15 2008, 11:24 AM']Well, I have been here for 50 days now.
I just thought I would update you on my progress.[/quote]

DUNSTAN......lol....protomonk! lol Good to see you again and hear that you arrived safe and sound and all the financial situations covered. Thank heaven for benefactors. ML inquired about you. I gave them an update for you.
Best of luck for the future. Not easy adjusting and redifining outselves at OUR ages.

Later.
Blessings

praying4carmel

[quote name='stlmom' post='1529716' date='May 15 2008, 06:13 PM']Am praying for your perseverence--keep posting, as we are sorely in need of some male balance on the phorum![/quote]

I agree, Male Balance is good.

all: rest assured of my prayers

Guadalupe23: the nuns of Our Lady of the Desert are about 200 yards from the back door of the cloister. If that! I would say thats close! They are however moving in about 3 weeks to temporary digs until their new place is ready. That will be about 2 hours by car away. Long story but there just isnt room for 2 growing communities here on the property anymore!

• 1 month later...

Well, here I am almost 90 days into my Postulancy. So far so good. Things are getting a bit better. Not that they were all that bad, mind you, but I seem to be adjusting quite nicely to my life here.

A few weeks ago a professor at a Baptist seminary came here and gave us a conference on the Gospel of Luke and also on Acts. It was very good and informative. It was great to see both books taken together. He brought some of his students along as well. I was very impressed by them. They were respectful of the place and our traditions and customs. They came up for a blessing during communion rather than try to receive communion. Some of them even tried to participate in our full Horarium. Or at least as much as they could! My prior had lots of positive feedback from the students as well. For some of them it was their first positive experience with Catholics. I can understand that. I am glad there was some positive feedback. It represents seeds of understanding. That is important.

I participated in a Corpus Christi procession on Corpus Christi Sunday. I have never seen or participated in such a procession before. It is a first for the abbey as well. After communion was distributed, we processed out to a small garden then to the Guest Lobby then back. The weather was great, as it usually is here. I hope it becomes an annual occurrence. Eucharistic Adoration was a fairly important part of my prayer life during my last few years prior to joining.

I completed 30 days of saying the Rosary for the requests and intentions of my prayer list. The Rosary is not usually part of my prayer practice, but I thought I would honour the Blessed Virgin this way.

My usual prayer routine during the half hour of Silent Prayer before Vespers is the Jesus Prayer. I do have a strong connection to that prayer. I make good use of my Prayer Rope.

There are still misunderstandings, communications problems, and aggravations. But that is to be expected in any community. Sometimes these problems arise over some very silly things. Everything however gets magnified because of everyone’s close proximity. That is part of what makes it such an intense life. I will persevere through them. I have to; so I will.

I am still puttering away on the Holy Website. It is one of the oldest monastery websites, and parts of it had not been updated in several years. But at least it gives me a chance to exercise some additional skills. I’ve learned lots about how CSS files work by using it to control how “printer friendly pages” are generated on the site. I am adding new features and beefing up existing content.

Since I am responsible for the Holy Website, I have more internet access than I usually would as a postulant, or even as someone in Simple Vows would have. So I have to be careful not to abuse it. I am very grateful for the high level of access I do have. Sending an email is much cheaper than sending a paper letter.

I still go on hikes as often as possible. After all, I went to all the trouble of getting custom made, hand made hiking boots and had them shipped directly here. I better use them! My usual Sunday hikes end a couple hundred yards from the back gate of the monastery, right up against the base of the cliffs. I found a spot where the cliff forms a natural chair. It is great for prayer, meditation, and enjoying the scenery. There is also a trail that goes from the back gate north about 5 miles along the river.

On “Desert Days”, I like to wander a bit farther in search of solitude. Last Desert Day, I went to the end of the trail then kept going a bit further. I went to a deep, steep-sided gully and hiked up it. I found a spot with a large flat rock shaded by a larger rock overhang. I stayed there for lunch and some prayers. The way back was a challenge. I made it back to the trail but got turned around a couple times and would up going in circles. I eventually straightened myself out but it made the hike another couple miles longer!

It looks like they won’t let me keep my name. That is too bad as it’s the perfect Benny Monk Name. One of my brother monks suggested Br. Taciturnitas. You know you are quiet when your brother monks in a contemplative abbey call you “the Quiet One!” I am open to suggestions. Josaphat maybe? Bruno? Cassian?

So far since my arrival, there have been two Solemn Professions, one Transfer of Vows, and two Renewals of Temporary Vows. Another brother has had his application for Solemn Vows approved. He will be making his Solemn Profession in mid-August. There are three Novices, one American, one Korean, and one Vietnamese. The American one left for a month and has now returned. He might leave again. He is unsure if he really wants to stay here or not. Please pray for vocational clarity for Br. Michael.

The nuns of Our Lady of the Desert have moved out now to temporary lodgings until their own property gets set up. There just isn’t room on the property for both of us anymore. Myself and the three juniors will be moving back there in a couple weeks and apparently a few other men want to “sign up” as well soon. So even with the sisters gone, their old monastery will soon be full again.

I also am helping out our oldest monk, a Claustral Oblate named Br. Benedict, with some memoirs he is writing. He is a former Anthropology professor from a university in Colorado. He joined sometime after his wife died. Obviously, his kids are all grown. He’s still pretty sharp but he is also 89 and not as familiar with computers as young pups like myself.

The weather around here has been great. There were some snowy days during the first couple weeks. There has been nothing like the several inches to a foot or so of snow at a time that would fall in Ottawa. There have been a couple rainy days as well. So far at least there have been no road washouts, but it is still early in Rainy Season! It has been comfortably in the 90’s all week and I think a couple days we broke 100. Weatherwise, the biggest adjustment that I have had to make is the huge temperature ranges. It is usually around 40 degrees but can exceed 50 sometimes.

But enough babbling. Just thought I would let you know that I am still alive and well.

We always anticipate your writing and filling us in on your life. It seems like you are at peace, and that is so important. Continue to keep us in your prayers!

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I was looking at your Abbey's website, and I must say that it is very beautiful! Both the surroundings and what you do throughout the day. I just have a quick question for you, though: are you Benedictine or Opus Dei? Looking through the website I couldn't find which order you are, but I found many references to St. Benedict and some about Opus Dei, so I'm not sure, lol! Thank you for your updates, too! I'm seriously discerning a monastic vocation, myself, so hearing about someone's postulancy is a lot of help!

May God bless and protect you always in all of your endeavors, especially your discernment!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

puellapaschalis

The Monastery of Christ in the Desert is Benedictine. The use of the phrase Opus Dei refers to the Divine Office, which St. Benedict calls The Work of God (Opus Dei) in his Holy Rule.

We are definitely Benedictine. Today is our partronal feast day and also the 44th anniversary of our founding. The monastery is dedicated to Christ in the Desert but it is under the patronage of John the Baptist, as it was on this day that our founder, Fr. Aelred, arrived on the property. I made a quick change to the site making sure that the title now says "Benedictine Abbey of Christ in the Desert". Nazfarmer, you'd certainly be welcome to come for a vocational retreat or observership. Just email Abbot Philip and ask. There are plenty of flights from Chicago to Albuquerque and one of us can come pick you up.