An Old School Catholic Message Board

Purgatory: Who Believes It Anyway?

mortify

Purgatory  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[i]"Jesus, for the sake of the agony that You endured during Your fear of death in the Garden of Gethsemane, at the Scourging and Crowning, on the way to Mt. Calvary, at Your Crucifixion and at Your Death, have mercy on the souls in Purgatory and especially on those who are completely forgotten! Deliver them from their bitter pains, call them to You and embrace them in Your Arms in Heaven!

Pray 1 Our Father, 1 Hail Mary

"Lord, grant them eternal rest. Amen.[/i]

CatherineM

I hope there is a purgatory. I know I don't deserve to go straight to heaven. I've often thought that hell is nothingness, a real limbo, an eternal boredom. I have also thought that at the end, Mary may well try to talk Jesus into an amnesty for those in hell who want out. She talked him into doing something at Cana he didn't want to do. Infinite mercy.

rhetoricfemme

I somewhat feel like purgatory can happen before you physically die. My father passed away from cancer, and in the days before his death, he was unconscious for most of the time, and he seemed to be... dreaming is the best way I can put it, I suppose. During that time, and part of the time that he seemed aware, he was talking to and referring to people and situations from his past. He was confronting parts of his life that were long gone, things I doubt he'd even thought of for a long time.

Anyways, after that experience I felt like that must have been part of his purgatory. No, he wasn't passed away yet, but it was already a fact that it was about to happen. So if makes me feel like this could have been a legitimate occurrence.

Madame Vengier

Purgatory is one of my favorite teachings! I definitely believe in it and I pray for the holy souls all the time. Especially when I get a ringing in my ear.

The question of duration should be taken off the table because one can't possibly know. It's a "sentencing suits the crime" kind of thing. Short for some, long for others.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' post='1538125' date='May 22 2008, 09:32 PM']I somewhat feel like purgatory can happen before you physically die. My father passed away from cancer, and in the days before his death, he was unconscious for most of the time, and he seemed to be... dreaming is the best way I can put it, I suppose. During that time, and part of the time that he seemed aware, he was talking to and referring to people and situations from his past. He was confronting parts of his life that were long gone, things I doubt he'd even thought of for a long time.

Anyways, after that experience I felt like that must have been part of his purgatory. No, he wasn't passed away yet, but it was already a fact that it was about to happen. So if makes me feel like this could have been a legitimate occurrence.[/quote]

Absolutely. We can take off some of the time from purgatory while here. It's part of redemptive suffering.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1538095' date='May 22 2008, 09:10 PM']I hope there is a purgatory. I know I don't deserve to go straight to heaven. I've often thought that hell is nothingness, a real limbo, an eternal boredom. I have also thought that at the end, Mary may well try to talk Jesus into an amnesty for those in hell who want out. She talked him into doing something at Cana he didn't want to do. Infinite mercy.[/quote]

I once read where a spiritual master (I forget who, I'm so bad at details) theorized that the mercy of God is so immense and so intense that there very well may be NO souls in hell.

This is tricky though because clearly Jesus talked about hell as a reality, with people going there and people in there.

But I'm down for the amnesty idea. This is not a far stretch at all.

I definitely believe in purgatory and heaven and hell.
I think I will be in purgatory for a really long time. Even if your sins have been forgiven and you die in a state of grace, aren't you still impure from the stain of your past sins? I think I would need some super scrubbing.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1538132' date='May 22 2008, 08:37 PM']Purgatory is one of my favorite teachings! I definitely believe in it and I pray for the holy souls all the time. Especially when I get a ringing in my ear.

The question of duration should be taken off the table because one can't possibly know. It's a "sentencing suits the crime" kind of thing. Short for some, long for others.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
why when you get a ringing in your ear? :blink:

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1538149' date='May 22 2008, 11:58 PM']+J.M.J.+
why when you get a ringing in your ear? :blink:[/quote]

Yeah...that's awesome...any particular reason for this?

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1538149' date='May 22 2008, 09:58 PM']+J.M.J.+
why when you get a ringing in your ear? :blink:[/quote]

I don't know. Years and years and years ago I read something where someone said "When you get a ringing in your ear, a soul in purgatory needs your prayers" and would you believe I developed a fixation with it after that? It's like obsessive compulsive...when my ears ring, I *have* to pray for the souls in purgatory.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1538163' date='May 23 2008, 12:08 AM']I don't know. Years and years and years ago I read something where someone said "When you get a ringing in your ear, a soul in purgatory needs your prayers" and would you believe I developed a fixation with it after that? It's like obsessive compulsive...when my ears ring, I *have* to pray for the souls in purgatory.[/quote]

That's sweet!

Do you say something in particular?

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1538132' date='May 22 2008, 09:37 PM']The question of duration should be taken off the table because one can't possibly know. It's a "sentencing suits the crime" kind of thing. Short for some, long for others.[/quote]

that's why I didn't put a check in either of those choices...