An Old School Catholic Message Board

Purgatory: Who Believes It Anyway?

mortify

Purgatory  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote]thought: if you had to suffer 1 million years in purgatory for another soul, would you[/quote]

Oh golly. I would hope that I could.

[quote name='Selah' post='1654944' date='Sep 13 2008, 07:11 PM']Oh golly. I would hope that I could.[/quote]

If you wouldn't, do you really think you deserve Heaven?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1655167' date='Sep 14 2008, 12:46 AM']Trick question. :)
Love your Shrodinger avatar, btw.[/quote]

Thanks.

I think it's pretty much proof that I'm a nerd. :sadder:

princessgianna

[quote name='mortify' post='1537975' date='May 22 2008, 08:58 PM']What do you think?[/quote]
i think Purgatory exist! not only is there scriptural evidence but it makes sense
if you have not been good enough for Heaven but don't deserve Hell then you go
to a middle place where eventually you will go to heaven!
And while you may feel pain i have also heard that there is a sense of peace because
you are on your way to see God!

[quote]How can atheists go to purgatory?[/quote]

I suppose if they respond to God's call at the hour of death...but then, they wouldn't be atheists anymore...hmm

[quote name='mortify' post='1656989' date='Sep 16 2008, 07:17 PM']How can atheists go to purgatory? :huh:[/quote]
I think a feral child defines invincible ignorance... :topsy:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1657057' date='Sep 16 2008, 09:16 PM']I think a feral child defines invincible ignorance... :topsy:[/quote]

God writes in every mans heart that He exist, atheists can not claim invincible ignorance.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1657063' date='Sep 16 2008, 08:36 PM']God writes in every mans heart that He exist, atheists can not claim invincible ignorance.[/quote]
Don't change what I said. :) I'm talking about feral children. Maybe they have some feeling of that call... I'm sure they do. They don't think like 'normal' people though.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1657069' date='Sep 16 2008, 08:43 PM']Don't change what I said. :) I'm talking about feral children. Maybe they have some feeling of that call... I'm sure they do. They don't think like 'normal' people though.[/quote]

Ah as I understood it you where applying feral to atheists since you replied to morts post. Yet God writes the truth of His existence in every mans heart. Being saved on invincible ignorance is absolutely no guarantee, only a big ol maybe...

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1657078' date='Sep 16 2008, 08:53 PM']Ah as I understood it you where applying feral to atheists since you replied to morts post. Yet God writes the truth of His existence in every mans heart. Being saved on invincible ignorance is absolutely no guarantee, only a big ol maybe...[/quote]
Sorry, should have been clearer. All I meant is that a feral child will be... sort of an atheist. Since they quite clearly do not think the same way we do. They would likely have no belief system, or else a very primal nature based system of superstitions.
Well anyway, we know that invincible ignorance is quite possible. We also know that by definition, a feral child will be invincibly ignorant. From that we can quite safely assume that a feral child can be saved as truly as a Catholic.
It's as much of a maybe as our own salvation. :) We do our best, God will meet us as far as we can go. :))

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1657100' date='Sep 16 2008, 10:09 PM']Sorry, should have been clearer. All I meant is that a feral child will be... sort of an atheist. Since they quite clearly do not think the same way we do. They would likely have no belief system, or else a very primal nature based system of superstitions.
Well anyway, we know that invincible ignorance is quite possible. We also know that by definition, a feral child will be invincibly ignorant. From that we can quite safely assume that a feral child can be saved as truly as a Catholic.
It's as much of a maybe as our own salvation. :) We do our best, God will meet us as far as we can go. :))[/quote]

Those outside of the Church lack the graces which God requires for salvation. If God saves those outside the Church, it is only because of His mercy, again no promises are made by God that invincible ignorance will save, and there is move evidence that He would not save such souls.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1657117' date='Sep 16 2008, 09:17 PM']Those outside of the Church lack the graces which God requires for salvation. If God saves those outside the Church, it is only because of His mercy, again no promise are made by God, and there is move evidence that He would not save such souls.[/quote]
Well just to nitpick, anyone God saves is saved by His mercy. It's not as if we deserve it.
I'm not saying this is a common occurence... after all, neither are feral children, but like feral children, it can (and personally I believe it does sometimes) happen.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1657127' date='Sep 16 2008, 09:24 PM']Well just to nitpick, anyone God saves is saved by His mercy. It's not as if we deserve it.
I'm not saying this is a common occurence... after all, neither are feral children, but like feral children, it can (and personally I believe it does sometimes) happen.[/quote]

God gives His people promises that if they remain with Him, in the Church until the end of the lives in the state of grace, the will be saved, while this sits on the mercy of God it is very different than those outside the Church who have no such promises, who also lack the graces.

It is possible but we have no way in knowing.