Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[b]</h1>[quote]<h1>Vatican denounces group's claim of seeing the Virgin Mary more than 40,000 times as 'work of the devil'
[/b]
By [url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=y&authornamef=Daily+Mail+Reporter"]Daily Mail Reporter[/url]
Last updated at 8:54 PM on 01st June 2008

The Vatican has denounced a group who claim to have seen the Virgin Mary more than 40,000 times in the past 27 years.

The six Bosnian 'seers' attract five million pilgrims a year to their home town of Medjugorje, providing a lucrative trade for local businesses.

Hundreds of thousands travel there each year from Britain alone.

The Vatican has rejected claims made by the six Bosnian 'seers' that they have seen the Virgin Mary more than 40,000 times over the past 27 years






But now one of the most respected voices in the Roman Catholic church has accused the visionaries of perpetuating a 'diabolical deceit'.

Andrea Gemma, 77, a bishop and once the Vatican's top exorcist, told a magazine in Italy: 'In Medjugorje everything happens in function of money: Pilgrimages, lodging houses, sale of trinkets.


'This whole sham is the work of the Devil. It is a scandal.' He said the Vatican would soon crack down on the group.

The Medjugorje phenomenon began on June 25, 1981, when six children told a priest they had seen the Virgin on a hillside near their town.

A church investigation dismissed the vision, and the Vatican banned pilgrimages to the site in 1985. But many Catholics ignored the ban.

Today, the seers own smart houses with security gates and tennis courts and expensive cars. One is married to a former U.S. beauty queen.

Catholic officials in the U.S. have recently banned the group from speaking on church property during their world tours, on which they allegedly take the Virgin with them[/quote]

[url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1023492/Vatican-denounces-groups-claim-seeing-Virgin-Mary-40-000-times-work-devil.html"]Article Link[/url]

I am not sure how I feel about this one. One of the visionaries came to my Church a couple of years ago. I can see how the officials can see this. My grandma went there as well and saw how the visionaries reacted. I don't know. I know that many here have visited. I thought you would all find it interesting.

Meg

Autumn Dusk
Posted

err yah...wow....

I know THE VATICAN can make announcements and "the vatican" (one or two priests) can make announcements, do you know which it is?

Posted

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1554130' date='Jun 2 2008, 09:56 AM']err yah...wow....

I know THE VATICAN can make announcements and "the vatican" (one or two priests) can make announcements, do you know which it is?[/quote]

Vatican officials. Yeah I know what you mean. I wasn't sure which one but by the look of the article it looked like officials. That is why I titled it Vatican Oficials Denounce Med. I hate (don't hate, appreciate) when the media misuses "the Vatican" phrase.

Autumn Dusk
Posted

yah...like HP was denounced by 1 or maybe Vatican officials. But the media reported it as "the vatican" and "the Catholic Church"

Posted

I'm wondering how truthful this article is. I have only been able to find one news article regarding anything of Medj. in the last week and it was this article.

We shall wait and see.

Posted

[quote]One is married to a former U.S. beauty queen.[/quote]

What does it matter that one of them married a former US beauty queen! That's just stupid

dominicansoul
Posted

Yeah, the whole article reeks of sensationalism....

Posted

The article is a bunch of croutons. First, it came out back in January. The Dailly Mail Reporter is a National Enquirer type magazine.
Here is the latest news on the subject.


St. James Church in Medjugorje April 10, 2008 - In Europe, the press has recently reported that the matter of Medjugorje -- the famed apparition site in Bosnia-Hercegovina -- has shifted directly into the hands of the Vatican.

The apparitions will not be accepted or rejected by local or regional Church officials until they are directed how and when to do so by Rome, officials now report -- in one of the larger development in this case since onset of the apparitions.

"I can confirm it," states Monsignor Mato Zovkic, vicar general of the Sarajevo archdiocese.

Monsignor Zovkic, who is spokesman for the Cardinal of Sarajevo and previously indicated negatively feelings about the site, now tells Spirit Daily that "the situation is that people keep coming to Medjugorje, they feel something nice, and they are reconciled sacramentally. The Vatican seems to be very interested and so this should be respected."

Headed by Cardinal Vinko Puljić, the national commission based in Sarajevo was formed after the Vatican took away the authority of discernment from the local bishop, who usually rules on such matters. Now the national commission has also been subjected to higher Church authorities.

The vicar emphasized that the national commission no longer plans to take action until it hears direct instructions from the Vatican. "This is our viewpoint," said Zovkic, who is also a professor at the seminary in Sarajevo.

Such is a major change in its previous position, which was that the commission would make a determination after the apparitions stopped. "As things are now, yes," the commission will wait for the Vatican, he repeated.

The new statements in one fell swoop erase objections by those who have long asserted that Medjugorje was rejected or condemned because local bishops in Mostar have been unfavorable.

Many have compared Medjugorje to historic apparitions such as those at Fatima and Lourdes. It has drawn millions of pilgrims, tens of thousands of priests, and hundreds of bishops and cardinals from around the world.

[i]Just to state once again, I have been to the homes of three of the visionaries and I could crawl over the fences at their homes. They are like any fence you would put up to keep your dog from running around. Their homes are not big nor fancy nor rich. They all also still house pilgrims in their homes. I saw no tennis courts nor fancy cars. Catholic officials have not banned the visionaries from anything. I have no idea where they come up with this croutons. I saw Ivan here about six weeks ago. He had a vision that evening also. It was awesome!

When you see statements like that, you have to know they are false. Since when does the U.S. give a croutons about Catholic doctrine?

The Vatican has no problem with anyone going there and this year, again, the 13th annual international priests seminar will be held there, like every year. Youth Day every year and bishops, cardinals and religious of all types go there constantly. Naysayers, give it up.[/i]

Posted

Ultimately the Vatican [i]can't[/i] rule on the validity of any apparition until it ceases. Since the visionaries still claim to be seeing her, and it would seem they will be claiming til time immortal I'm not expecting anything official from the Vatican any time soon.

Posted

Nope. They won't make a decison and in another decade, the whole world will be converted! I have great faith!

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Justin86' post='1554162' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:17 AM']Ultimately the Vatican [i]can't[/i] rule on the validity of any apparition until it ceases. Since the visionaries still claim to be seeing her, and it would seem they will be claiming til time immortal I'm not expecting anything official from the Vatican any time soon.[/quote]
That's half true. The Vatican can't say it's valid until it ceases, but the Vatican can say it's invalid before it ceases.

Currently, the Vatican is investigating. My guess is that any official news will be available in a formal press release, so I'll wait until that time.

Lounge Daddy
Posted

As much as the US press can aggravate at times, more and more mainstream British press is becoming way overly sensational and more of a "gossip" rag. And if they can alter the facts of a story to sensationalize even more, all the better for them to do so. I think it's disgusting, and utterly irresponsible.

Isn't this the same paper that first broke the story of "Vatican officials" supposedly expanding and updating the list of deadly sins to include environmental offenses?

Posted

I said I would not go back again after the second time. I don't need signs etc but, I tell ya. Once you have been there and then come back to regular life, it just draws you to want to be back in a place with such a strong current of peace and love.

A woman who went with in March because of my conversion story, had some major encounters there and she is now on her royal conversion. Her kids are 18 and 21 and live at home. Her husband is not Catholic. She now has them attending church on Sunday as a family and both kids enrolled to start RCIA. She is going back in October for three weeks.

When you watch what happens to people who go there (and what happened to me) there are no doubts as to this being the work of God. It is so beautiful. Dang, now I want to go back. Maybe in November with Wayne Weibel. hmmm. No, too soon for the horror of the travel. Maybe next March. Make it an annual pilgrimage and this time have a stop in Rome.

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' post='1554166' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:20 AM']That's half true. The Vatican can't say it's valid until it ceases, but the Vatican can say it's invalid before it ceases.[/quote]

:yes:

Posted

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1554179' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:30 AM']As much as the US press can aggravate at times, more and more mainstream British press is becoming way overly sensational and more of a "gossip" rag. And if they can alter the facts of a story to sensationalize even more, all the better for them to do so. I think it's disgusting, and utterly irresponsible.

Isn't this the same paper that first broke the story of "Vatican officials" supposedly expanding and updating the list of deadly sins to include environmental offenses?[/quote]


Media all over the world is just pathetic but, this rag is really bad. I looked at some of their headlines and they really are just like the Enquirer.

Posted

[quote name='StColette' post='1554191' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:35 AM']:yes:[/quote]

You posted on your husband's account then affirmed it on your own didn't you?


[quote name='StColette' post='1554191' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:35 AM']:yes:[/quote]

Posted

[quote name='Justin86' post='1554162' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:17 AM']... Since the visionaries still claim to be seeing her, and it would seem they will be claiming til time immortal...[/quote]

That's the way I feel about it too :mellow:

Autumn Dusk
Posted

[quote]A woman who went with in March because of my conversion story, had some major encounters there and she is now on her royal conversion. Her kids are 18 and 21 and live at home. Her husband is not Catholic. She now has them attending church on Sunday as a family and both kids enrolled to start RCIA. She is going back in October for three weeks.[/quote]

I can say the same for lifeteen :unsure:

Posted

Maybe I can post the video she took when the alabaster eyes of the Gospa opened and her mouth opened in a smile. I should have my copy of it in a day or two. When things like that happen, you kind of sit up and take notice.

I am not able to capture the miracle of the sun on film or video. I have tried. I have been seeing it continuously for fourteen months, ever since I saw it on my first trip.

The medals turning gold is almost boring now compared to the other things that happen there. It is a place for non-believers to go and for those who are luke warm in their faith to become revived.

If you are meant to go, you will be called.

Posted

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1554205' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:45 AM']You posted on your husband's account then affirmed it on your own didn't you?[/quote]

Nope lol Regardless, the statement would be correct either way.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...