An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Not A Crucifix

M.SIGGA

I remember from when I went to an Evangelical Protestant Church that evangelicals do not believe Jesus should be shown in a humiliated form or in any manner that might be considered idolatry therefore they use the plain cross instead of the crucifix.

Evangelicals go further to say that religious imagery in the forms of statues, paintings, and icons might also be considered forms of idolatry.

Why is it then that so many Protestants are so psyched about the Passion of the Christ movie ? Why is the art medium of film treated differently than the Crucifix or other religious images of devotion?

I think Evangelicals should go get a Crucifix to put up over their bed and around their necks and drop the Catholic idolatry arguments because I don't see a difference.

The reaction of the Passion movie has proven this to me.

Some would probably say that a movie and a statue are two different things. But you're right; there's really no difference. I have no good answer for you. :(

Edited by Dave

We have one in our home.

The idea is all from the interpretation of the Second Commandment run amuk.

There are a great deal of Baptists on the BB extremely against the Passion movie. These are the only ones who will tell you any image of God is wrong.

littleflower+JMJ

why they do not have it? i do not understand.

the crucifix is the greatest and truest sign of LOVE there is.

you want to know what love is? look at a crucifix. :wub:

Why not have a statue of the glorified, resurrected Christ in church?

Some Baptists state it makes it look like Catholics are obsessed over his death.

In responce to Bro Adam, I would say that Catholics do focus more on Christ's death than some Protestants. I personally like the focus on His death. We need to remember the pain and torture He bore for us.

littleflower+JMJ

Some Baptists state it makes it look like Catholics are obsessed over his death.

the crucifix is not of death but of victory and the greatest act that Jesus did for us, the very moment when good defeated evil, when the gates of heaven were open and God's mercy on all mankind was released endlessly for all.

we must not forget what Jesus did, we must always hold it dear and always remind ourselves day to day, thats why its important.

the greatest saints always kiss the crucifix often,held it, prayed before it, they knew the wonders this image holds....

of course we have images of Christ resurrected, another parish i go to has that on instead of a crucifix, but you cannot fully appreciate the resurrection without fully recognizing the crucifixion of Our Lord.

i love the crucifix, i want to remember, and never forget, what Christ did for me. :wub: :wub:

littleflower+JMJ

here are some prayers :)

Prayer Before a Crucifix

Behold, O kind and most sweet Jesus,

I cast myself upon my knees in Thy sight,

and with the most fervent desire of my soul

I pray and beseech Thee that Thou wouldst impress upon my heart

lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity,

with true contrition for my sins, and a firm purpose of amendment,

while with deep affection and and grief of soul

I ponder within myself and mentally contemplate Thy five Wounds,

having before my eyes that which David, thr prophet, spoke of Thee, my Jesus:

"They have pierced My hands and My feet; they have numbered all My bones."

Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.

Body of Christ, save me.

Blood of Christ, inebriate me.

Water from the side of Christ, wash me.

Passion of Christ, strengthen me.

O good Jesus, hear me.

Within Thy wounds hide me.

Suffer me not to be separated from Thee.

From the malignant enemy, defend me.

In the hour of my death, call me.

And bid me come to Thee.

That with Thy saints I may praise Thee.

Forever and ever. Amen

Alot of Catholic Churches now have crosses with the Ressurected Christ.

This thread attracted me because I just past a baptist church and I noticed on the wall the three crosses like this t T t. Are they putting up the two thieves crosses to be honored. They didnt die for my sins. Or maybe its decoration.

I know Im obssesed with letting people know christ suffered for their sins.

This thread attracted me because I just past a baptist church and I noticed on the wall the three crosses like this t T t. Are they putting up the two thieves crosses to be honored. They didnt die for my sins. Or maybe its decoration.

If its in a baptist church its decoration

There are two parishes near my house with both images. When I went to Europe there were also a lot of churches with both images. Plus after the Consecration we recite the Mystery of Faith which acknowledges Christ has died, risen, and will come again. Since Vatican2 I think the interiors of the American churches depend more on the taste of the priest.

Why is it that his passion is ignored so much? At the Evangelical church I belonged to other than mentioning the blood that saves, nothing about the passion was ever mentioned other than the pastor sometimes pointing at the Cross during a sermon. Now I would think every church would want Station of the Cross lol.