An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Not A Crucifix

M.SIGGA

Remember, corporate churches are not liturgical. The pastor is allowed to speak on whatever he feels called to speak on. "everyone already knows about the passion" and they feel there is no need for a daily reminder.

In responce to Bro Adam, I would say that Catholics do focus more on Christ's death than some Protestants. I personally like the focus on His death. We need to remember the pain and torture He bore for us.

Yes, I agree. Seeing a picture of Him crucified really hits home.

Another thing I don't really understand about some Protestants I have met is they say that we worship the risen Christ. Well, shouldn't we worship Christ at all points of His life?

Just a thought.

God bless. :)

Why not have a statue of the glorified, resurrected Christ in church?

Hi, Brother Adam. :)

I have seen statues of the risen Christ, and often I have seen stained glass windows of the risen Christ at different Churches.

God bless. :)

Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.

Body of Christ, save me.

Blood of Christ, inebriate me.

Water from the side of Christ, wash me.

Passion of Christ, strengthen me.

O good Jesus, hear me.

Within Thy wounds hide me.

Suffer me not to be separated from Thee.

From the malignant enemy, defend me.

In the hour of my death, call me.

And bid me come to Thee.

That with Thy saints I may praise Thee.

Forever and ever. Amen

Thanks, Littleflower! I especially like this one. :)

Evangelicals go further to say that religious imagery in the forms of statues, paintings, and icons might also be considered forms of idolatry.

Protestants focus on Jesus' resurrection rather than death. The crucifixtion is very important but you can't forget the rest of the story.

Yes, some non-catholics see the iconography as idolatry. The veneration of images is sometimes seen as idolatry. Of course you don't agree, and don't see this, because you are Catholic.

You can "see" it as idolatry, but it isn't. Protestants who take part in corporate worship see worship as "singing, praying and teaching". Catholics teach about Mary, have songs about Mary, and ask for Mary to pray for them- thus it must be worship right?

Catholics see worship as taking part in the sacrfice of Jesus Christ. If they were to ever have communion in the name of Mary or say it was Mary who died for their sins or Mary is the one intercessor between God and man, then it would be idiotry.

I'm a protestant and I understand this?

Protestants focus on Jesus' resurrection rather than death.  The crucifixtion is very important but you can't forget the rest of the story. 

Yes, some non-catholics see the iconography as idolatry.  The veneration of images is sometimes seen as idolatry.  Of course you don't agree, and don't see this, because you are Catholic.

I became really involved in the Evangelical movement when I left the Catholic Church and I fully understand their argument, but my point with this topic is that it is a big misunderstanding. I've been on both sides of the argument, and it seems traditional "Catholic" art (paintings, icons, sculpture, etc.) is seen as something wrong, but modern expressions of religious art and imagery (film, protestant prayer cloths and holy oil, angel imagery, etc) which evangelical prots do enact some form of devotion, is not included in their definition of what constitutes idolatry. What is so silly is that it's the exact same thing - neither of us are idol worshipers! If they are going to call out something as idolatrous and discredit Catholics as being anti-Christian idol worshipers they need to be consistant - take down the banners, crosses, angels, nativity scenes, etc. If one is truly a fundamentalist, I see it as almost hypocritical to say that something is there for mere decoration like someone would do to a Christmas tree. I don't recall a clause in the 10 commandments saying it's ok to decorate the temple. The angels and the nativity scenes, and the crosses give our churches and homes a sense of holiness and devotion and rememberance. Protestants put up images in their churches and use prayer models for the same reason Catholics do - because it is a reminder of what is unseen - nothing idolatrous. The only ones I've seen this consitency in is the 7thDay Adventists, Jwitnesses, and Church of Christ.

pham,

i also think that the crucifix is integral to catholic services b/c it provides the imagery of the one sacrifice that transcends time, when we are mystically present at the foot of the cross at every mass.

just thought i would add my 0.02 b/c that dimension of the crucifix had yet to be mentioned.

Cross or Crucifix? is also helpful and informative.

pax christi,

phatcatholic

I have no good answer for you. :(

I'm not sure if anyone has answered it in this way, but I think it's a matter of the pastors taste. "Crosses" seem to pop up more in Protestant churches (ever seen a Catholic church with a "cross" and no "crucifix"? I didn't think so). That's probably a reason why there are different types of "crucifixes" like the one where Jesus is carrying a dove in His hand, or when he is Ressurecting, but it's all a matter of taste for non Catholic churches.

"You know what's my pet peeve? Those little crosses with Jesus ressurecting on it!"

-Misc. Monk at EWTN. :rolling:

cmotherofpirl

Many people want Easter Sunday without going through Good Friday to get there.

I think many evangelicals are stunned by the Passion because they have never thought of Jesus in the way Catholics do. We have Jesus crucified on the cross, we have good Friday, and stations, and living stations and passion plays and the Pieta, and all kinds of imagery to remind us of what Jesus did to save us etc.

Evangelicals have never been exposed to it before, and its filling a void they didn't know they had.