Deb Posted June 18, 2008 Posted June 18, 2008 Well, when you wear the habit, you can wear the rosary around your neck and no one is going to mistake it for jewelry.
johnnydigit Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 [quote name='Deb' post='1574905' date='Jun 18 2008, 05:57 AM']Well, when you wear the habit, you can wear the rosary around your neck and no one is going to mistake it for jewelry.[/quote] so according to you, i can only wear one if i wear a habit? do i need to be consecrated or can i wear a lay or third order habit? how about a work habit (a shirt with hood)? can i not wear a San Damiano cross either until i wear a habit? how about an over-sized cross on my chest like many postulants? do i need to be a postulant or novice to wear one? does this only apply to a Rosary, or any Sacramental you may find on a religious? are only they allowed to sport one? how about an over-sized St. Benedict or Miraculous medal? can i show my Scapular? what if it's a Rosary-Scapular? what if it's a print image of a Rosary? how about a Rosary bracelet? oh, how about a Rosary bracelet, but it's a 10-knot Franciscan bracelet with a Tau Cross on it? or how about having one on your thumb or other finger and walking around with it? what about having a regular Rosary in your hand and walking around with it? what about having it around your forearm while you do something? no, no wait, what if it's a Tau Cross, but it only has 3 knots to pray. it's not a Rosary, but it's a Sacramental used for prayer, but it's a necklace. [img]http://www.franciscanrosary.com/images/graphics/taunecklace.jpg[/img] case utterly closed.
johnnydigit Posted August 2, 2008 Posted August 2, 2008 [u]The Secret of the Rosary[/u] by St. Louis de Montfort. p.72, #8 [url="http://www.theholyrosary.org/secret.zip"]http://www.theholyrosary.org/secret.zip[/url] [url="http://www.circleofprayer.com/secret34.html"]http://www.circleofprayer.com/secret34.html[/url] [i]Here is a short summary of the indulgences which they wholeheartedly granted to the Confraternity of the Holy Rosary, and which were confirmed again by our Holy Father Pope Innocent XI on 31st July 1679, and received and made public by the Archbishop of Paris on 25th September of the same year: [b][indent][size=3]To those who openly wear the rosary out of devotion and to set a good example: a hundred days' indulgence;[/size][/indent][/b][/i] ============= "The Rosary Confraternity is a spiritual association (of the Catholic Church), the members of which strive to pray the entire Rosary during the course of each week. They form a union of countless hundreds of thousands of the faithful throughout the world who, along with their own intentions, include the intentions and needs of all its members, while they in turn pray for them." you don't need to be a consecrated religious to be a member or gain the indulgences. you can enroll in the Confraternity here [url="http://www.pacifier.com/rosary-center.org/nconform.htm"]http://www.pacifier.com/rosary-center.org/nconform.htm[/url] in conclusion, [b]it does not say how to wear your Rosary[/b].
friendofJPII Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1616099' date='Aug 2 2008, 06:54 PM']I agree with Deb and CrossCut.[/quote] I think it's okay. Being the "fashionista" I am on phatmass (refering to the Wedding dress thread I'm not sure if it really looks right, but I don't see anything wrong with it per se, as long as you have a sincere respect for the Rosary. Otherwise Rosary bracelets would be off limits too, right?
Selah Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 I don't think I could ever wear it as a necklace. Heck, Iv'e seen people hang it on their rear-view mirrors before...stuff like this bothers me, because it's sacred and for a special purpose, not decoration.
friendofJPII Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 [quote name='Selah' post='1616124' date='Aug 2 2008, 07:20 PM']I don't think I could ever wear it as a necklace. Heck, Iv'e seen people hang it on their rear-view mirrors before...stuff like this bothers me, because it's sacred and for a special purpose, not decoration.[/quote] I have a Rosary on my re-view mirror as a means of protection, not decoration. With my driving, I need all the help I can get! I have a scapular around my re-view as well, in case I die in a car crash.
HisChildForever Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 [quote name='friendofJPII' post='1616106' date='Aug 2 2008, 08:03 PM']I think it's okay. Being the "fashionista" I am on phatmass (refering to the Wedding dress thread I'm not sure if it really looks right, but I don't see anything wrong with it per se, as long as you have a sincere respect for the Rosary. Otherwise Rosary bracelets would be off limits too, right?[/quote] Rosary bracelets and rings, I feel, are simply...different. For example, you wouldn't approve of wearing the American flag as a cape and claiming it to be out of pride rather than fashion, right? But you would approve of wearing a shirt with an American flag design. It's a replica. And, in regards to the bracelet/ring, it's less "showy." [quote]I have a Rosary on my re-view mirror as a means of protection, not decoration. With my driving, I need all the help I can get! I have a scapular around my re-view as well, in case I die in a car crash.[/quote] Hm, that sounds a bit supersititious to me. I would put more trust in my faith rather than in the rosary hanging from my rearview mirror.
friendofJPII Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 Hm, that sounds a bit supersititious to me. I would put more trust in my faith rather than in the rosary hanging from my rearview mirror. [/quote] I do trust in my faith, but I place the Rosary on my rear-view as a way of blessing my car, in the same way that I would be a crucifix on my wall my to bless my house. If we can place holy objects in our homes, why can't we place them in our cars?
HisChildForever Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 [quote name='friendofJPII' post='1616187' date='Aug 2 2008, 09:35 PM']Hm, that sounds a bit supersititious to me. I would put more trust in my faith rather than in the rosary hanging from my rearview mirror. I do trust in my faith, but I place the Rosary on my rear-view as a way of blessing my car, in the same way that I would be a crucifix on my wall my to bless my house. If we can place holy objects in our homes, why can't we place them in our cars?[/quote] When you said that you hung the rosary "as a means of protection" - that's what I was saying was superstitious.
friendofJPII Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1616227' date='Aug 2 2008, 09:08 PM']When you said that you hung the rosary "as a means of protection" - that's what I was saying was superstitious.[/quote] well, yeah, it is a means of protection also. We can pray for the prevention of accidents.
HisChildForever Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 [quote name='friendofJPII' post='1616271' date='Aug 2 2008, 11:12 PM']well, yeah, it is a means of protection also. We can pray for the prevention of accidents.[/quote] The prayer protects us, not the object.
friendofJPII Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1616283' date='Aug 2 2008, 10:49 PM']The prayer protects us, not the object.[/quote] Sacramentals can be a source of protection. Anyway, Catholic Answers said it is fine, as long as the Rosary isn't blocking your view of the road.
johnnydigit Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 [quote name='friendofJPII' post='1616149' date='Aug 2 2008, 06:55 PM']I have a Rosary on my re-view mirror as a means of protection, not decoration. With my driving, I need all the help I can get! I have a scapular around my re-view as well, in case I die in a car crash.[/quote] having it on my rear-view has saved me and many others from road rage and speeding many a time. it definitely "keeps me in check" by reminding me not to be foolish when i see it in the corner of my eye. one time, a homeless lady said she liked being in my car because all the Catholic stuff around her made her feel safe. when my friend and i were in a near death car crash, i found that the only thing that was really in tact was the visor-cross with driving prayer that someone gave me. a telephone pole smashed through 1/2 of the car. an inch more forward and my muslim friend would have perished. there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of Sacramentals to help your faith, so long as you aren't scrupulous and remember it's the faith and not the objects themselves that save. the common mentality today seems to prejudge others if they have anything more than a cross on their neck. we have such a lack of faith today, so we should really be encouraging our youth to go ahead and wear and use more of them instead of questioning how faithful they are to their Sacramentals, even if it's only in your mind. please be positive and give them the benefit of the doubt instead of making them feel ashamed. if you must, there are much more charitable ways to investigate their faithfulness without discouraging them.. Sacramentals - push them forward, don't trip them backwards. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/_images/store/tees/v3logo_black_tee_180.jpg[/img]
SisterAli Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 When I had a car, I too hung a rosary around the mirror....as jonny said...it helped me *keep in check* and also, many times I would pray the rosary while driving to school, Mass, work...whatever I may be doing. Instead of turning on a CD or listening to the radio...I would pray the Rosary instead. I know priests that even do this....and active religious sisters.
Archaeology cat Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 [quote name='SisterAli' post='1616429' date='Aug 3 2008, 05:23 PM']many times I would pray the rosary while driving to school, Mass, work...whatever I may be doing. Instead of turning on a CD or listening to the radio...I would pray the Rosary instead.[/quote] I did that back when I had a car. It was a good start to the day, and I needed all the help I could get some days at work.
SisterAli Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 [quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1616450' date='Aug 3 2008, 01:43 PM']I did that back when I had a car. It was a good start to the day, and I needed all the help I could get some days at work.[/quote] Amen...I totally agree with you!
HisChildForever Posted August 3, 2008 Posted August 3, 2008 [quote]there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of Sacramentals to help your faith, so long as you aren't scrupulous and remember it's the faith and not the objects themselves that save.[/quote] That was the entire point of what I was saying. [quote]the common mentality today seems to prejudge others if they have anything more than a cross on their neck. we have such a lack of faith today, so we should really be encouraging our youth to go ahead and wear and use more of them instead of questioning how faithful they are to their Sacramentals, even if it's only in your mind. please be positive and give them the benefit of the doubt instead of making them feel ashamed. if you must, there are much more charitable ways to investigate their faithfulness without discouraging them..[/quote] I was just giving my opinion, I wasn't trying to make anyone feel "ashamed" and I'm surprised that you came to that conclusion since it was never my intention.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now