lilac_angel Posted June 18, 2008 Posted June 18, 2008 If you wear a scapular, do you take it off before exercising/workouts? Or not?
fides quarens intellectum Posted June 18, 2008 Posted June 18, 2008 [quote name='lilac_angel' post='1575410' date='Jun 18 2008, 06:18 PM']If you wear a scapular, do you take it off before exercising/workouts? Or not?[/quote] yes, i usually take it off.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 Where does one even find a scapular? I'm not even positive I've seen a picture of it before... is it at all similar to a cilice? (spelling?)
Dreamweaver Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1575634' date='Jun 18 2008, 11:06 PM']Where does one even find a scapular? I'm not even positive I've seen a picture of it before... is it at all similar to a cilice? (spelling?)[/quote] No, a scapular consists of two pieces of cloth (usually felt) connected by strings, which you wear around your neck, one cloth in the front and one in the back. Most Catholic bookstores have scapulars, the most common is the brown scapular, or Carmelite scapular. [url="http://www.lasvegasmariancenter.com/images/scapularcopy.jpg"]http://www.lasvegasmariancenter.com/images/scapularcopy.jpg[/url] When I do aerobics, I can't wear my scapular or Miraculous Medal; I'd probably find a way to break them or otherwise tangle them up beyond untangling. I also take all my rings off for safety's sake.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 I've never had a clear idea then. Is the scapular meant for self mortification? (Minor, obviously.)
fides quarens intellectum Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 Actually, every once in a while, i forget to take it off, and it just doesn't work too well on runs or doing laps in the pool. i've considered getting an athlete's scapular - any of you guys use one?
Nihil Obstat Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 It doesn't look like it is... I guess it isn't addressed often.
Innocent Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 I only remove it for a short while, when I'm doing spine stretches while standing.
IrishSalesian Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 I take mine off only when dealing with water, i.e. shower, pool, beach.
fides quarens intellectum Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 [quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1575838' date='Jun 19 2008, 12:04 AM']I take mine off only when dealing with water, i.e. shower, pool, beach.[/quote] Do you jog? Mine seems to fly out of i am jogging.
IrishSalesian Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 [quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1575875' date='Jun 19 2008, 02:27 AM']Do you jog? Mine seems to fly out of i am jogging.[/quote] Soccer, football, baseball, if it flies out, then it flies out. Im not particular if it decides it wants some air. If it gets wet from a hard workout, then i hang it by a window and a fan and wait for it to dry.
scardella Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 I find mine tends to fly up and get annoying if I try to exercise with it on. I usually just deal with it.
mommas_boy Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1575793' date='Jun 19 2008, 12:46 AM']I've never had a clear idea then. Is the scapular meant for self mortification? (Minor, obviously.)[/quote] There are many scapulars, and all of them are devotions to either Our Lady or Our Lord. They are not meant as a means of mortification; the wool they are made out of usually doesn't itch; instead, they are a badge identifying you as a devotant of Mary or Jesus. The most popular scapular is the brown scapular, which I wear as well. You can use Wikipedia for pretty good full description of the brown scapular, but long story short, Mary appeared to St. Simon Stock on Mt. Carmel and gave it to him, saying, "Whosoever dies wearing this scapular shall not suffer eternal fire." HTH
lilac_angel Posted June 19, 2008 Author Posted June 19, 2008 (edited) Nihil Obstat: Wikipedia's article on the fivefold scapular is a good, rather concise one, and it sums up the benefits of 5 different scapulars while dismissing common myths, i.e. that they're supersititous or talismans, etc. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fivefold_Scapular"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fivefold_Scapular[/url] "Pope Pius XII said that the Brown Scapular is "a sign of consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary" and that "the scapular is not superstitious... One is not saved from Hell merely by wearing it. No, for it is a sign that they must live their lives in total obedience to God and trust in him, through and with the Immaculate Heart of Mary." In 1917, Mary appeared as Our Lady of Fatima, holding not only the Rosary but also the Brown Scapular. Moreover, in her final apparition, during the Miracle of the Sun, one of the three seers, Lucia, saw Our Lady of Mount Carmel." I find the red scapular particularly interesting, too, for its promise of an increase in virtues of faith, hope, and charity every Friday: "The Red Scapular (also known as the Scapular of the Passion) was revealed to Sr. Appoline Andriveau, a Sister of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul in 1846. The Lord promised that whoever wore his Scapular he would grant a great increase of faith, hope, and charity every Friday (the office day of the Passion). The apparition was repeated several times, and in the following year, Pius IX sanctified the sacramental on June 25, 1857." Each individual scapular usually carries with it a devotion or practice that one must observe along with each one. For example, the requirement for the brown scapular is daily recitation of the Divine Office or five decades of the Rosary and chastity according to one's state in life. So it's not physical mortification, but it is an act of spiritual discipline to wear one. Edited June 19, 2008 by lilac_angel
lilac_angel Posted June 19, 2008 Author Posted June 19, 2008 [quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1575796' date='Jun 18 2008, 11:47 PM']Actually, every once in a while, i forget to take it off, and it just doesn't work too well on runs or doing laps in the pool. i've considered getting an athlete's scapular - any of you guys use one?[/quote] I've never heard of those... sounds interesting (and a good idea)
kujo Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 Mine stays on, though it can be pretty annoying at times.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 [quote name='mommas_boy' post='1576009' date='Jun 19 2008, 08:43 AM']There are many scapulars, and all of them are devotions to either Our Lady or Our Lord. They are not meant as a means of mortification; the wool they are made out of usually doesn't itch; instead, they are a badge identifying you as a devotant of Mary or Jesus. The most popular scapular is the brown scapular, which I wear as well. You can use Wikipedia for pretty good full description of the brown scapular, but long story short, Mary appeared to St. Simon Stock on Mt. Carmel and gave it to him, saying, "Whosoever dies wearing this scapular shall not suffer eternal fire." HTH[/quote] Thanks, and also thanks to the person that commented afterwards. I actually read all this just a couple minutes after realizing my complete ignorance. Sounds very cool. How does one go about getting a properly blessed one?
lilac_angel Posted June 19, 2008 Author Posted June 19, 2008 I tuck mine into my feminine sports attire, but I guess some of you don't wear that. I was mainly asking b/c of the sweat involved. And washing them too much can wear them out and the fivefold isn't super-cheap (and it's prone to bleeding, due to the redness of the red scapular).
kujo Posted June 19, 2008 Posted June 19, 2008 [quote name='lilac_angel' post='1576408' date='Jun 19 2008, 07:11 PM']I tuck mine into my feminine sports attire, but I guess some of you don't wear that. I was mainly asking b/c of the sweat involved. And washing them too much can wear them out and the fivefold isn't super-cheap (and it's prone to bleeding, due to the redness of the red scapular).[/quote] I don't own a sports bra...perhaps I should get one? Or a MANzeer?
lilac_angel Posted June 19, 2008 Author Posted June 19, 2008 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1576403' date='Jun 19 2008, 05:09 PM']Thanks, and also thanks to the person that commented afterwards. I actually read all this just a couple minutes after realizing my complete ignorance. Sounds very cool. How does one go about getting a properly blessed one?[/quote] All you do is obtain the prayers (which can be found easily on the net) and bring them to any legitimate priest, where he can say the blessings and sprinkle the holy water on them... it's called "investiture."
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now