An Old School Catholic Message Board

Scapulars And Exercise

lilac_angel

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1576009' date='Jun 19 2008, 08:43 AM']There are many scapulars, and all of them are devotions to either Our Lady or Our Lord. They are not meant as a means of mortification; the wool they are made out of usually doesn't itch; instead, they are a badge identifying you as a devotant of Mary or Jesus.

The most popular scapular is the brown scapular, which I wear as well. You can use Wikipedia for pretty good full description of the brown scapular, but long story short, Mary appeared to St. Simon Stock on Mt. Carmel and gave it to him, saying, "Whosoever dies wearing this scapular shall not suffer eternal fire."

HTH[/quote]

Thanks, and also thanks to the person that commented afterwards.
I actually read all this just a couple minutes after realizing my complete ignorance. :D Sounds very cool.
How does one go about getting a properly blessed one?

lilac_angel

I tuck mine into my feminine sports attire, but I guess some of you don't wear that. I was mainly asking b/c of the sweat involved. And washing them too much can wear them out and the fivefold isn't super-cheap (and it's prone to bleeding, due to the redness of the red scapular).

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1576408' date='Jun 19 2008, 07:11 PM']I tuck mine into my feminine sports attire, but I guess some of you don't wear that. I was mainly asking b/c of the sweat involved. And washing them too much can wear them out and the fivefold isn't super-cheap (and it's prone to bleeding, due to the redness of the red scapular).[/quote]

I don't own a sports bra...perhaps I should get one?

Or a MANzeer?

lilac_angel

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1576403' date='Jun 19 2008, 05:09 PM']Thanks, and also thanks to the person that commented afterwards.
I actually read all this just a couple minutes after realizing my complete ignorance. :D Sounds very cool.
How does one go about getting a properly blessed one?[/quote]

All you do is obtain the prayers (which can be found easily on the net) and bring them to any legitimate priest, where he can say the blessings and sprinkle the holy water on them... it's called "investiture." :)

lilac_angel

[quote name='kujo' post='1576409' date='Jun 19 2008, 05:13 PM']I don't own a sports bra...perhaps I should get one?

Or a MANzeer?[/quote]

It does help keep a scapular in place rather well. I've never heard of a MANzeer. :lol_roll:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1576410' date='Jun 19 2008, 05:14 PM']All you do is obtain the prayers (which can be found easily on the net) and bring them to any legitimate priest, where he can say the blessings and sprinkle the holy water on them... it's called "investiture." :)[/quote]
Wonderful.
Where does one find the actual item?

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1576412' date='Jun 19 2008, 07:17 PM']It does help keep a scapular in place rather well. I've never heard of a MANzeer. :lol_roll:[/quote]

It's a joke from an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer and George's father want to market braziers for man. They call them the MANzier.

Anyway, I wear a brown scapular. :)

lilac_angel

Well, it depends on which scapular you want.

This site offers a free brown scapular:

[url="http://www.freebrownscapular.com/"]http://www.freebrownscapular.com/[/url]

To get my fivefold, I just did a google search for fivefold scapular and easily found places selling them.

There are probably other websites that offer free or very cheap individual scapulars, though. I'm not sure about religious stores, but I'd hope that most Catholic stores would still carry them.

lilac_angel

[quote name='kujo' post='1576415' date='Jun 19 2008, 05:20 PM']It's a joke from an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer and George's father want to market braziers for man. They call them the MANzier.

Anyway, I wear a brown scapular. :)[/quote]

Oh RIGHT, I knew that sounded familar. :D

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1576429' date='Jun 19 2008, 07:27 PM']Oh RIGHT, I knew that sounded familar. :D[/quote]

;)

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='lilac_angel' post='1576394' date='Jun 19 2008, 05:02 PM']I've never heard of those... sounds interesting (and a good idea)[/quote]

A friend of mine has one, but the only problem is, you can't be discreet with it because it is so high up on your neck. Guess it is a trade-off.

lilac_angel

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1576504' date='Jun 19 2008, 06:19 PM']A friend of mine has one, but the only problem is, you can't be discreet with it because it is so high up on your neck. Guess it is a trade-off.[/quote]

Oh, yes, I Googled "athlete's scapular" and it too looked familiar. Those are cool. Also, this very Phatmass thread is result #4!!....haha... consider my socks rocked.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1576565' date='Jun 19 2008, 06:43 PM']I have an athlete's scapular. I love it.[/quote]

Are you able to keep it discreet? Is it brown?

See, i'd switch if i could get both the brown and the green one.