An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ewtn

HisChildForever

HisChildForever

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1596726' date='Jul 10 2008, 12:55 AM']I like watching their Papal Masses as well as their normal Masses, watching for cases of "the Reform of the Reform" in both cases. I also very much enjoy watching their Masses in the Extraordinary Form.[/quote]

So I have watched a few daily Masses. Tonight's (or, today's, rather) was completely done in English, save the bits between readings. However, the other Masses I have seen, Latin was mixed in pretty well. Is Extraordinary Form when Latin is added?

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1596214' date='Jul 9 2008, 02:35 PM']Does anybody else watch EWTN? For the past few days I've been accessing it on my laptop[/quote]

We've never had anything more than broadcast television here. On-line is the only way we have watched EWTN.

Oh and I agree big time. Since having a laptop, I have found that it's pretty addicting as well. Now I can watch between classes :cool:

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1596767' date='Jul 9 2008, 11:28 PM']So I have watched a few daily Masses. Tonight's (or, today's, rather) was completely done in English, save the bits between readings. However, the other Masses I have seen, Latin was mixed in pretty well. Is Extraordinary Form when Latin is added?[/quote]

It's when the 1962 Missal is used. Some people call it the "Tridentine" Mass or various other names. It was the Mass of most of the Latin Church (as opposed to the Eastern Catholic Churches) untill 1969, when the first edition of the new Missale Romanum was issued. Pope Benedict in [i]Summorum Pontificum[/i] called it the "Extraordinary Form" of the Roman Rite.

The "Ordinary Form" of the Roman Rite is the one used in most Latin Catholic parishes in most of the world today. It celebrated according to the Missale Romanum issued by Pope John Paul II in 2003 and the vernacular is the language usually used, though the Second Vatican Council directed that Latin was to still be used, but the vernacular could be permitted.

TeresaBenedicta

I watch EWTN everynow and again. My spiritual director has a show that airs sometimes (and I'll be on the one that airs next year-- we already did the filming).

Honestly, though, I find some of the shows to be kind of cheesey. I dunno. And I feel bad saying that, but it's true.

As for watching daily Mass... LOL, I feel so weird doing that! I have no idea if/what I'm supposed to do. A group of friends and seminarians and I were all joking around about this and discussing how/if blessings could be imparted through the television. It was good times.

One Mass that I did watch, though, was the Mass in D.C. with Pope Benedict. I couldn't go, but on my lunch break (LOL, how weird is that-- to watch Mass while eating lunch?!) I watched the Mass. It was really cool because I knew a bunch of the seminarians and deacons who served.

Proud2BCatholic139

[quote name='doe-jo' post='1596283' date='Jul 9 2008, 03:00 PM']i hope they're covering the WYD because i want to watch it.[/quote]

I know for fact they are!! :)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1596803' date='Jul 10 2008, 04:19 AM']Honestly, though, I find some of the shows to be kind of cheesey. I dunno. And I feel bad saying that, but it's true.[/quote]

I agree with you there, but if it's any reassurance, I tolerated plenty of cheesiness in my Protestant days too. :) That's one thing I like about SQPN's philosophy: they want to produce high quality media that could stand on its own right in the secular realm.

But, EWTN's focus is different, which is fine. I enjoy listening to the podcasts... seems less cheesy that way than watching on TV. :)

EstoVir_TheWay_4

Cheesy, perhaps, but let me tell you, when my wheelchair-bound granny stayed with us for 7 months, she watched nothing but EWTN. I think that at that time, and perhaps even now, EWTN's focus was older people who don't leave home.

EstoVir_TheWay_4

Cheesy, perhaps, but let me tell you, when my wheelchair-bound granny stayed with us for 7 months, she watched nothing but EWTN. I think that at that time, and perhaps even now, EWTN's focus was older people who don't leave home.

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1596288' date='Jul 9 2008, 04:03 PM']I watch Journey Home with BG all the time. I also love Fr. Corapi, Eucharist (Thursdays 9:00 Eastern), the Divine Mercy Chaplet...

Oh, and the Pure Life![/quote]

I LOVE EUCHARIST, MISSY YOU ROCK!

JM + JT

I definitely tune into EWTN whenever the Pope is being covered.

I love Rome Reports. Anything with the Vatican, really.

Reasons for Our Hope is pretty good, too, as well as EWTN Live and anything with Fr. Corapi. :)

Ooo and the Extraordinary Form, too. I saw it the other day for the Feast of the Precious Blood. :D

Too bad Family Network takes over between 8 AM and 8 PM. I should tune in online more often.

HisChildForever

Oh, so EWTN on television and EWTN on the computer follow different schedules?