MissyP89 Posted July 21, 2008 Posted July 21, 2008 Spoken English, Italian (though not fluent), and American Sign Language. I can read Spanish and some Latin, but not well enough to vote for either.
Pio Nono Posted July 21, 2008 Posted July 21, 2008 JMJ 7/21 - St Lawrence of Brindisi Sugnu pruvandu mparari parrari sicilianu. (I'm trying to learn to speak Sicilian).
ardillacid Posted July 21, 2008 Posted July 21, 2008 [quote name='Aloysius' post='1604538' date='Jul 21 2008, 01:42 PM']English, French, Spanish, Latin... and working on Irish ('Irish Gaelic') with Rosetta Stone [/quote] Is Rosetta Stone effective? Would you recommend?
icelandic_iceskater Posted July 21, 2008 Posted July 21, 2008 [quote name='StColette' post='1604637' date='Jul 21 2008, 04:03 PM']Who can read or write Swahili? LOL[/quote]I used to know three words. I leaned them at the zoo near the giraffe's and zebras. Fun times. Besides that I know American and took three years of Latin.
mommas_boy Posted July 21, 2008 Posted July 21, 2008 [quote name='notardillacid' post='1604752' date='Jul 21 2008, 06:49 PM']Is Rosetta Stone effective? Would you recommend?[/quote] I've used the trial version of Rosetta Stone. I found it somewhere on the RS website. It was about 5-15 minutes long. As a teacher, I highly recommend it based on the WAY that it teaches you. It's all about pattern recognition and figuring out the meaning of words based on context, instead of being given a list of vocab words to just memorize. It's the way that we learned our first language. You can try the demo [url="http://www.rosettastone.com/personal/form/flash-demo-form"]here[/url].
Madame Vengier Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 Rosetta Stone is REALLY good. I did a demo in both Japanese and Korean, and it was impressive. I didn't purchase b/c it was really expensive and I was saving for vacation at the time plus I have tons of other Japanese language study materials. So I thought I would start with what I have and go for Rosetta in about 6 months. But I was so impressed by it. It's a completely unique method that works (partly) with repetition techniques has a method for memorization.
Fr. Antony Maria OSB Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 English is my strong language, lol, and I know smatterings of Spanish left over from Spanish I in grade school, and snippets of Latin and Greek. However, I could only vote for English because of how poorly I know the other three.
Guest Mariamne Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 Syriac! (Plus Latin, Greek, French. Working on Coptic and Classical Armenian.) But Syriac is my favorite.
Norseman82 Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 GDZIE JEST PO POLSKU? GDZIE JEST PO POLSKU? GDZIE JEST PO POLSKU? Besides English, it would be Spanish, Latin, and, if I have a dictionary handy, Polish (tak, język polskie jest bardzo trudno, dominican soul). I can read better than I can speak, although it is scary to know I can follow the priest at Tridentine masses without looking in the missal!
mommas_boy Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 Heh. Just had a pretty awesome conversation in the Phatmass 3D chatroom with a Columbian. Nothing of any real substance, but it was just cool to practice my Spanish. Can't quite believe how well I was able to communicate. Sure was fun.
picchick Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 (edited) English...a little spanish Polish but I am in the learning process currently. I only know a few phrases and words. [quote](tak, język polskie jest bardzo trudno, dominican soul).[/quote] tak, zgadzamy się. Edited July 22, 2008 by picchick
Balthazor Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 [quote name='dominicansoul' post='1604382' date='Jul 21 2008, 09:21 AM']learning Polish... bardzo trudny!!! or is it... trudny bardzo? [/quote] Bardzo trudny. Don't try czech. It is even harder!
Madame Vengier Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 [quote name='Balthazor' post='1605061' date='Jul 22 2008, 03:19 AM']Bardzo trudny. Don't try czech. It is even harder![/quote] Czech is sooooooooooo hard. I was in Czech Republic for 6 weeks back in the early 90s and I tried to take advantage of my time there by learning the language, just some basics (which I have forgotten). I was told that the language is so difficult that Czech children can't even fully get a handle on it until around age 7 or 8. Contrast this to children who speak other langauges, such as English, and they can basically mimic perfectly what they are taught as young as 1.5 years old. They just repeat it a few times and they have it. Not so with Czech children. It takes several years for them to be able to properly pronounce all the sounds. It's the sounds that are so difficult, not the alphabet itself. There can be 3 or 4 sounds for one single letter, too. And many of the sounds are just so, so hard to master.
Proud2BCatholic139 Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 Latin just comes to me...not just reading it, but when people speak or chant. German, I took 6 years. French (I know some) 2 years. English-I want to be an English Major. I love to write. I can understand Spanish (I picked it up from my co-workers). I join in on their conversations, but I speak English. Haha!
Archaeology cat Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 (edited) Maybe I should add that I'm good at understanding (and occasionally imitating) [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouse"]Scouse [/url]now. Edited July 22, 2008 by Archaeology cat
puellapaschalis Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 [quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1605154' date='Jul 22 2008, 06:09 PM']Maybe I should add that I'm good at understanding (and occasionally imitating) [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouse"]Scouse [/url]now. [/quote] Scouse completely qualifies as a language. Along with Glaswegian!
Seven77 Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 Bengali---a language derived from Sanskrit, spoken in India and Bangladesh i can understand and speak it---though perhaps not fluently. I don't think that there is a Rosetta Stone package for it.
Archaeology cat Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 [quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1605241' date='Jul 22 2008, 06:37 PM']Scouse completely qualifies as a language. Along with Glaswegian![/quote] Yeah, I didn't think I'd have a problem understanding the people when I moved here, as I'd gone to school in Lincolnshire for a little while, but Scouse took me a bit to pick up. Guess I'd best get used to it, as I'm sure Kieran will be a little Scouser once he starts speaking.
dominicansoul Posted July 22, 2008 Posted July 22, 2008 [quote name='Norseman82' post='1604999' date='Jul 21 2008, 11:29 PM']GDZIE JEST PO POLSKU? GDZIE JEST PO POLSKU? GDZIE JEST PO POLSKU? Besides English, it would be Spanish, Latin, and, if I have a dictionary handy, Polish (tak, język polskie jest bardzo trudno, dominican soul). I can read better than I can speak, although it is scary to know I can follow the priest at Tridentine masses without looking in the missal![/quote] Dziękują bardzo!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now