Veritas Posted July 27, 2008 Author Posted July 27, 2008 + Yes, out of the 57 people who answered this poll, only 50 spoke English. Interesting...
Selah Posted July 27, 2008 Posted July 27, 2008 You know what? I want to learn how to read ancient egyptian hyroglyphs...now that would be fun
Groo the Wanderer Posted July 27, 2008 Posted July 27, 2008 English - master level Spanish - gringo level German - nur kinder Deutsch French - all I need to know is 'Surrender!' BASIC Pascal IOS CatOS JunOS
Madame Vengier Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 [quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1609803' date='Jul 27 2008, 08:06 AM']French - all I need to know is 'Surrender!'[/quote] LOL!! Ouch...
RosaMystica Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 Aside from English I can speak the Aramaic pretty fluently and I'm learning how to read and write it as well. I'm also learning Latin, too. I can also sing and pray in Arabic, and I also picked up some Spanish during the four years I studied the language in high school
SJRod55 Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 English and SPanish fluently. A little Amharic (Ethiopian) and Albanian.
dustthouart Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 Native speaker of English, have what I call a "working fluency" of Mandarin Chinese. Studied Spanish and Latin in high school but didn't mark them down on the poll.
Balthazor Posted July 29, 2008 Posted July 29, 2008 [quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1609803' date='Jul 27 2008, 09:06 AM']English - master level Spanish - gringo level German - nur kinder Deutsch French - all I need to know is 'Surrender!' BASIC Pascal IOS CatOS JunOS[/quote] Is "gringo level" a technical term?
Archaeology cat Posted July 29, 2008 Posted July 29, 2008 [quote name='Selah' post='1609784' date='Jul 27 2008, 12:50 PM']You know what? I want to learn how to read ancient egyptian hyroglyphs...now that would be fun [/quote] It is fun. If you really want to learn some, I'd suggest picking up [url="http://www.amazon.com/Read-Egyptian-Hieroglyphs-Step-Step/dp/0520239490/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217339200&sr=8-1"][i]How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-step Guide to Teach Yourself Hieroglyphs[/i][/url] It's just the basics, so you'll be able to read offering formulas when you finish it. It's really great if you have access to the British Museum, since all the examples are from stelae in the BM, but the stelae are all illustrated very well in the book. And I know one of the authors (a prof at my university) One of the fun things about hieroglyphs is that they can be written right to left, left to right, or vertically. It's fun.
pan!c139 Posted July 29, 2008 Posted July 29, 2008 Most of the time I speak English pretty well, but I can also speak a little Spanish and Latin.
misereremi Posted July 29, 2008 Posted July 29, 2008 [quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1604356' date='Jul 21 2008, 11:56 AM']With the addition of Dutch and German with some smatterings of Japanese and Tagalog.[/quote] Tagalog? Ako rin- but probably more Visayan dialect than Tagalog. [quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1605154' date='Jul 22 2008, 05:09 PM']Maybe I should add that I'm good at understanding (and occasionally imitating) [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouse"]Scouse [/url]now. [/quote] LOL! Me, too then. Love it! I like mastering accents, dialects, slangs, and the in-between languages of bilinguals (e.g. Taglish, Patois, Spanglish, Itaglish ). Most of my knowledge of languages outside my mother tongue (Italian) is colloquial vs text-book. At the moment I'm learning Twi. I think Portuguese is a beautiful language, and would like to learn that next.
puellapaschalis Posted July 29, 2008 Posted July 29, 2008 [quote name='misereremi' post='1611720' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:32 PM']Tagalog? Ako rin- but probably more Visayan dialect than Tagalog.[/quote] I do research in Tagalog Tagalog - it's what my family speaks and they're bang in the middle of that area. And then come the discussions about language and dialect status. It's enough to drive a linguist batty. And then there's the music to [url="http://www.vimeo.com/1211060?pg=embed&sec=1211060"]this video[/url] which just makes me want to speak Bengali
StColette Posted July 29, 2008 Posted July 29, 2008 [quote name='jiyoung' post='1607340' date='Jul 24 2008, 11:18 AM']I speak English and Korean fluently, and I know some Spanish from school. In the future I have to learn French, German, and Italian for opera...whee...[/quote] Oh Clara!!! I miss hearing you speak to your family in Korean. It was always so much fun to listen to
Norseman82 Posted July 31, 2008 Posted July 31, 2008 [quote name='CatherineM' post='1610384' date='Jul 28 2008, 12:27 AM']does anyone speak COBOL anymore?[/quote] Yes. Assembler as well.
mommas_boy Posted July 31, 2008 Posted July 31, 2008 So, funny story. I live in a very Mexican neighborhood. I'm also very Irish ... Anyway, I'm walking on the main strip through my neighborhood, and this woman standing in front of a "Learn English" business stops me. Her: "Disculpe senor, quisiera aprender ingles?" -- "Excuse me, sir, would you like to learn English?" Me: Me: "No, puedo hablar ingles muy bien. Es mi primera idioma." -- "No, I speak English very well; it is my first language." Her: "Verdad? Esta cierto que puede hablarlo?" -- "Really? Are you sure that you can speak it?" Me: Me: "Si, estoy cierto. Soy guerro." -- "Yes, I'm certain. I'm a 'white boy'." Me: Her: Her: "Oh, buenas noches." -- "Oh. Good night."
Norseman82 Posted July 31, 2008 Posted July 31, 2008 [quote name='mommas_boy' post='1613615' date='Jul 30 2008, 11:34 PM']So, funny story. I live in a very Mexican neighborhood. I'm also very Irish ... Anyway, I'm walking on the main strip through my neighborhood, and this woman standing in front of a "Learn English" business stops me. Her: "Disculpe senor, quisiera aprender ingles?" -- "Excuse me, sir, would you like to learn English?" Me: Me: "No, puedo hablar ingles muy bien. Es mi primera idioma." -- "No, I speak English very well; it is my first language." Her: "Verdad? Esta cierto que puede hablarlo?" -- "Really? Are you sure that you can speak it?" Me: Me: "Si, estoy cierto. Soy guerro." -- "Yes, I'm certain. I'm a 'white boy'." Me: Her: Her: "Oh, buenas noches." -- "Oh. Good night."[/quote] You should have answered in Polish.
mommas_boy Posted July 31, 2008 Posted July 31, 2008 [quote name='Norseman82' post='1613723' date='Jul 31 2008, 12:31 AM']You should have answered in Polish.[/quote]
Nun of That Posted August 1, 2008 Posted August 1, 2008 (edited) "Disculpe Senor, quisera aprender ingles" really means: "Excuse me Sir, I would like to learn English" Edited August 1, 2008 by Nun of That
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now