An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mama Mia

friendofJPII

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='jmjtina' post='1614569' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:09 PM']Some musicals may not be for the big screen.

I didn't like it AT ALL....

Others were REALLY into it. It was almost scary.

IMO, it's overrated.

But it's all how you like your tea. :coffee:[/quote]
We are into because we can identify with it. Meryl Streep is 59, Pierce Brosnan is 55, and Christine Baranski is 56 - my age group. They are singing the music we remember, and coming to terms with what they have won and what they have lost, and the mistakes and triumphs in the process. And they are having a blast doing it. So yes we are really into it, because we see ourselves reflected in their lives, and it reminds us that happiness or at least enjoyment and contentment doesn't end at 25, as the media would have so many of us women "of a certain age" believe. So yes we love the show because it reminds us we were women before we were mums and grandmas, and til you get to our ages you won't have a clue what that means. :)

that might be it cmom. however, some of my friends loved it and were REALLY into it. (my age)

I just didn't like it overall. ;)

Edited by jmjtina

I thought it was a great movie. It's fun, it's colorful, it's shallow, it's a musical. That's how most musicals are, onstage or on film. If you don't want to get deeply involved in the storyline of a movie, Mamma Mia is a good movie to see.

friendofJPII

[quote name='Kitty' post='1615277' date='Aug 1 2008, 02:38 PM']I thought it was a great movie. It's fun, it's colorful, it's shallow, it's a musical. That's how most musicals are, onstage or on film. If you don't want to get deeply involved in the storyline of a movie, Mamma Mia is a good movie to see.[/quote]

Some of the older musicals, Sound of Music, for example, had a very deep storyline.

I think I'm going to go see MM by myself, so if I'm really offended I can just walk out.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='jmjtina' post='1614569' date='Jul 31 2008, 10:09 PM']Some musicals may not be for the big screen.

I didn't like it AT ALL.

It was boring IMHO, was that a story? Or just a segment out of "Days of Our Lives"? I didn't find much funny except hearing James Bond sing. Ouch!!!!!

It didn't show anything, just insinuated (sp?) alot. And I got flack from the other teachers (older) for not staying to see the ending number. I just couldn't get into it and wishing I had seen Hancock instead.

Others were REALLY into it. It was almost scary.

IMO, it's overrated.

But it's all how you like your tea. :coffee:[/quote]

Told YOU! :biglol: :lol_roll:

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1614446' date='Jul 31 2008, 07:54 PM']Darn! I get all excited when I think a movie comes out that I can actually go see! I guess I'll have to stick with Nick at Nite.[/quote]
Get "By the Light of the Silvery Moon" and "Moonlight Bay". Both are great, and have Doris Day, who is the only reason I would ever travel back in time.

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1615404' date='Aug 1 2008, 06:34 PM']Some of the older musicals, Sound of Music, for example, had a very deep storyline.[/quote]

Yes, not all musicals have a shallow storyline or are colorful and flashy. The original film "Showboat" is one of the best musical movies I've ever seen. Also, "Phantom of the Opera" and "Les Miserables", and similar shows, all carry a deeper storyline.

Edited by Kitty

friendofJPII

It wasn't[i] that [/i]bad. It started out really good and there was a chance for a redeeming story line, but the writer/director blew it. The music was great and there were some sincerely hysterical moments. It was entertaining, esp. seeing Pierce Bronson try to sing!

• 4 months later...

Just watched it with My dad and his girlfriend. It was a funny movie. My dad loves abba, so he is singing the whole time.