An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adoration Tomorrow

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

Hey everyone,
I'll be going to adoration tomorrow morning, hopefully. I've never been before. Do y'all have any any pointers/tips for what to think/pray/meditate about?
Thanks,
Mitch

Archaeology cat

[quote name='J.P.' post='1614293' date='Jul 31 2008, 09:49 PM']Just sit in awe my friend.

Nothing like it.[/quote]
Tell me about it! I really need to go more often.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1614287' date='Jul 31 2008, 02:46 PM']Hey everyone,
I'll be going to adoration tomorrow morning, hopefully. I've never been before. Do y'all have any any pointers/tips for what to think/pray/meditate about?
Thanks,
Mitch[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
if you'll be there alone, pour your heart out, literally, to Him. aloud. speak what is in your heart. be prepared to cry, laugh, and/or rage at God (done all three before, myself). if you have a particular devotion (Rosary, Divine Mercy, etc.), you might consider praying it. my devotional time in front of the Blessed Sacrament seems especially meditative. :) i hope this helps and i pray that you would open yourself to whatever Jesus has to say to you. God bless

I've never been to Adoration, either...let's just say I know the first place I'm going when I get my provisional license in six months.

But I can offer you this: don't feel obligated to meditate/pray/think about anything at all. :) Sometimes that silence of just [i]being[/i] with Him is so precious.

Just listen.

Edited by MissyP89

Noel's angel

I never go with a set idea of what I'm gonna pray or meditate on because any time I have, God's done His own thing. So, my advice is just go and let Him do what He does best.

Dreamweaver

Don't be afraid to listen to Him in your heart. Sometimes you may be led to pray a particular devotion, or to pray for someone for no reason in particular. Sometimes I bring a book or Bible to read and meditate on during Adoration, but many times I just get caught up in prayer and just meditating that I don't even crack them open.

At my cathedral that has perpetual adoration, there's a huge mural of the Divine Mercy right behind the exposed monstrance, so I love meditating on Christ's mercy and love.

Vincent Vega

Thank you all so much!
I think I'll probably pray the DMC, as I have found I have a special affinity for it. But I've been needing to do some listening lately...maybe this is the place for it. :)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1614420' date='Jul 31 2008, 08:06 PM']Thank you all so much!
I think I'll probably pray the DMC, as I have found I have a special affinity for it. But I've been needing to do some listening lately...maybe this is the place for it. :)[/quote]

The best place for it, IMHO.

Bring some spiritual reading, just in case.

I don't know how long you'll be there... just be there with Our Lord. I've had some extremely moving experiences with Christ during Adoration. I've had some experiences where I didn't feel a thing. Regardless, it is a beautiful thing to simply be in the presence of Our Lord.

If you find you can't pray, just sit in awe as others have said. I know that my first time I went I expected nothing, I thought I felt nothing...I was just about to do my 'happy the Catholics are all wrong and this long string of coincidences is over dance'. And then I raised my eyes to stare directly, and felt tears welling up.

Read the Word, Pray, sit in Awe. Do what is best for you. May I just recommend not reading something disrespectful like Cosmo?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='BG45' post='1614624' date='Jul 31 2008, 09:35 PM']Read the Word, Pray, sit in Awe. Do what is best for you. May I just recommend not reading something disrespectful like Cosmo?[/quote]
Don't worry, I picked up the latest Seventeen Magazine just for this purpose.

;)

I'm glad I asked, though, cause I didn't know it was alright to bring Bibles or other spiritual reading material.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll certainly pray for the intentions of all phatmass :)

TeresaBenedicta

And just as a side note, in case ya didn't know, genuflection is done on two knees when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed.

CatholicCid

If I don't have any other prayer or material, I like to just sit/kneel and look at the monstrance mediating on the thought "This is Jesus Christ"