An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adoration Tomorrow

Vincent Vega

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1614740' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:28 PM']And just as a side note, in case ya didn't know, genuflection is done on two knees when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed.[/quote]

How exactly do you go down on two knees from a standing position without hurting yourself?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1614740' date='Jul 31 2008, 10:28 PM']And just as a side note, in case ya didn't know, genuflection is done on two knees when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed.[/quote]
So, in other words, the faithful kneel when It/He's brought out?

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1614791' date='Aug 1 2008, 01:21 AM']How exactly do you go down on two knees from a standing position without hurting yourself?[/quote]

Takes skill, man. You should see the bruised I have from dropping too quickly!!!

Just kidding!

Go down on one knee first, as if a regular genuflection, and then bring the other knee down afterwords. Kind of like if you were getting into the kneeling position.

[quote]So, in other words, the faithful kneel when It/He's brought out?[/quote]

The double genuflection (as it's sometimes called) that I was talking about is if you happen to arrive when the Blessed Sacrament is already exposed, or you're leaving before the Blessed Sacrament is reposed. If this is the case, then you will double-kneel genuflect (lol, sounds funny) in place of a regular genuflection (getting in and out of the pew, etc).

But if you are already there before Adoration begins, then yes, you will kneel when the priest/deacon brings out the Host. There may be a hymn sung, traditionally "O Salutaris". It may be in latin or in english, they'll likely have the hymn provided for you. Kneel for however long you are able or feel comfortable doing (remember you're in the presence of Our Lord!), and then sit if necessary. You will kneel again for Benediction. Once the Host has been reposed, there will likely be another hymn, the "Tantum Ergo". Again, that will probably be provided for you.

They are right you genuflect on both knees when the blessed sacrament is exposed.

I like to go and offer Him all my worries to handle so that I can just sit there with him. If my mind wonders I bring myself back and offer that to Him too. I start with personal prayer and then just go from there. I have learned better than to plan adoration because sometimes there is a lot that goes on and sometimes, not so much. There is no predicting it.

Vincent Vega

I went and stayed the whole hour.
All I can say is...wow. I haven't felt this close to Him in a long time. :love:

What an amazing and emotional experience! The hour really flew by.
Thanks for all of the info, guys. It helped!

Pax,
Mitch

Nice isn't it?

I just sit and listen....you know with good friends you don't kneed an agenda you just need to sit and have a nice visit.

let_go_let_God

Also for all of you to know, adoration is a nice place to snooze but not recomended.

I used to work on Confirmation retreats for the Diocese of Duluth and those of us who were working would spend time in an all night adoration in prayer for the kids. Well most of us would be so tired we'd snooze in the church (on accident) I fell asleep during a Rosary and found myself kneeling with my head on the pew. Nice place, wrong time. Promptly I heard "Could you not stay awake one hour with me?" To which I replied, "My soul is willing but my body is weak" After that I was able to stay awake and not worry about the time I spent there. Also for the retreats after that, my hour went smoothly without naps.

God bless-
LGLG

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='let_go_let_God' post='1615329' date='Aug 1 2008, 05:58 PM']Also for all of you to know, adoration is a nice place to snooze but not recomended.
I used to work on Confirmation retreats for the Diocese of Duluth and those of us who were working would spend time in an all night adoration in prayer for the kids. Well most of us would be so tired we'd snooze in the church (on accident) I fell asleep during a Rosary and found myself kneeling with my head on the pew. Nice place, wrong time. Promptly I heard "Could you not stay awake one hour with me?" To which I replied, "My soul is willing but my body is weak" After that I was able to stay awake and not worry about the time I spent there. Also for the retreats after that, my hour went smoothly without naps.

God bless-
LGLG[/quote]

Sometimes it can be a very beautiful thing to fall asleep in the Lord's presence. It should not become a habit, lol, but I've been told that it is a very special time of resting in the Lord.

Noel's angel

I spent from 11pm until 7am the next day in Adoration. It was probably the best night of my life. I did take two 10 min breaks to go outside and get some air. It was truly amazing.

[quote name='let_go_let_God' post='1615329' date='Aug 1 2008, 04:58 PM']Also for all of you to know, adoration is a nice place to snooze but not recomended.[/quote]

lol I had an adoration hour on the FUS campus from 1:00 am til 2:00 am on Sunday mornings. I would nod off occasionally. I always ended up having to work Sundays. So I would have adoration from 1 to 2 am then get up for 8 am Mass and then go to work for 8 hours.