Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

"Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines."
-1 Corinthians 12:7-11

Do you believe that such gifts as speaking in tongues, healing, and distinguishing between spirits are still gifts that the Holy Spirit bestows upon believers nowadays? Is this passage to be taken literally or is there a certain level of contextual criticism that ought to be applied to it? Or do you maintain the view known as cessationism whereby these gifts are now a thing of the past and only something that applied to early Christians while the Church was in its infancy? Furthermore, can you testify to these spiritual gifts within your own life? Or in the lives of those you work, learn, grow, and pray with?

Please share opinons, stories, testimonies, Catholic teaching, and anything else you may know or find pertaining to spiritual gifts.

peace! :D

Posted

I believe in them, but I believe people misuse them. They pretend to have them for their own advantage, or delude themselves in a fervor.

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1615550' date='Aug 1 2008, 11:21 PM']I believe in them, but I believe people misuse them. They pretend to have them for their own advantage, or delude themselves in a fervor.[/quote]

I agree exactly. Also, I think that people [b]think[/b] (not just pretend, although I'm sure many do) that they have the gift of tongues, like when things are really emotional and a bunch of people are going crazy, just the atmosphere, it's so intense that everyone falls in line. There's this video on youtube of a South Korean service/gathering, and it's titled "Crazy Christians Hijacked by the Holy Ghost" (sounds mean, I know) but if you just watch it (it's a bit long) it's just...amazing what people do. The people in this video are screaming, convulsing, flailing and rolling around!

Posted

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1615556' date='Aug 1 2008, 11:28 PM']The people in this video are screaming, convulsing, flailing and rolling around![/quote]

When I was only about twelve years old I went to a Catholic retreat (through my very charismatic church) and the atmosphere was very intense. There was an opportunity to be "prayed over/with" by adult leaders. I witnessed many of the youth start speaking in tongues during this prayer time. Also, there came a point where this one girl in the group was just on her own praying silently when she suddenly started convulsing, but then started to quote scripture. She was quoting different things that Jesus said, but in first person...more scripture than she could probably reference normally. Also, when the shaking and everything stopped, she started singing so angelically. Many of the youth gathered around her with their hands extended in prayer and their eyes wide with curiousity and intrigue. (Who wouldn't be?) Also, some adults were conflicted in their discernment of spirits. Some thought it was all God there, and some thought things were not...of the Holy Spirit. Also, many people had rested in the spirit...having dreams and visions....seeing angels...that sort of thing. Many of the youth did not know what to expect. This was a shock for sure. Also, many people did not know how to respond to what happened. On the bus ride home, the young people swapped testimonies and asked their friends, "So, did you get a gift of the spirit or not." Unfortunately this sort of created and "In the club"/"out of the club division" and put pressure on many of the youth who felt that maybe they had done something wrong in the process.

I believe that spiritual gifts do exist, even in the modern context of our faith. But it is easy for personal agendas, indivual motives, and circumstances conducive to producing perhaps a more emotional rather than spiritual experience to get in the way of receiving the authentic gift that the Spirit sends.

Posted

I've seen teenagers talk in tongues before. They were playing a video game.

Posted

I believe that spiritual gifts exist and have experienced them. However, my experience has not been in the way typical way. Several times I have understood masses including the homily clearly when the language was not one that I speak or even in a language related to one that I speak. (Tagalog, Chinese) I have never experienced other gifts.

I have never spoken in tongues but know people that do. I doesn't really bother me as long as they don't try to push me to do the same. My feeling is that God will give me all that I need when I need. If he wanted me to have these gifts He would give them to me. Personally, I feel like God understands me better than I understand myself. He knows what is best for me.

Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1615597' date='Aug 2 2008, 12:20 AM']I've seen teenagers talk in tongues before. They were playing a video game.[/quote]

LOL!!! :D

johnnydigit
Posted

i have had first hand experience with people who have extraordinary gifts that made my jaw drop. it is recent, it is out there, and it is real.

as to its authenticity in modern movements and communities you may have heard about, well that's another matter. the only document i have been relying on lately is from the Catholic Encyclopedia,

Gift of Tongues (Glossolaly, glossolalia).
[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14776c.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14776c.htm[/url]

Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1615597' date='Aug 2 2008, 01:20 AM']I've seen teenagers talk in tongues before. They were playing a video game.[/quote]


:P

johnnydigit
Posted

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1615639' date='Aug 2 2008, 02:56 AM']Gift of Tongues (Glossolaly, glossolalia).
[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14776c.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14776c.htm[/url][/quote]

this should also be read with

Charismata
[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03588e.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03588e.htm[/url]

TeresaBenedicta
Posted

I don't understand the... point... of speaking in tongues or the heavy compulsions or some of the stuff that's been described here (or the typical charismatic experiences of the gifts). To me, it honestly is just kind of weird and well... frightening. Just about as frightening as demonic possessions. I mean, the gift of interpreting tongues, like at a Mass in a different language-- now THAT seems right. But to be mumbling in an incomprehensible language in a retreat house... to what point? Why would the Spirit make such manifestations.

It honestly just appears to be more like a gimic than anything else. Maybe it is, maybe it's not. I don't know. But I guess when I read this biblical passage about the gifts, I think of them being expressed more in everyday life-- not just at some retreat or something. People being able to discern spirits as they go through their day. Someone understanding a different language. Resting in the Lord.....

I don't know. I've never experienced the gifts in the "charismatic setting". I have had experiences in my life where I believe the Spirit has given me the gift to discern spirits or to simply rest in the Lord. So, I don't know. The fact that it just happens randomnly and without much purpose, that's what bothers me. And it makes it seem more like somesort of possession than anything else.

Proud2BCatholic139
Posted (edited)

It is ok to speak in tongue without an interperator, only if you are in private prayer...or with a small group of people praying.

Fr. Pederson told me this...I trust his word.

Edited by Proud2BCatholic139
Posted

Each person is given at least one Spiritual gift. Most people have no idea what theirs is and if they don't believe in it, they may never find out. A spiritual gift of this type is only to be used outward, for the building up of the Church and God's kingdom.
They are not always supernatural either, but yes, they exist and are meant for us just as they were meant in the earliest days. If Jesus, with the Holy Spirit, could raise the dead and resurrect himself, he can certainly give someone with the gift of healing or prophecy or tongues.

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote]Each person is given at least one Spiritual gift.[/quote]

What are the spiritual gifts, besides tongues? :)

friendofJPII
Posted (edited)

I have the gift of tounges. It's not scary, tho. I first discovered it after a Life in the Spirit seminar. It's just a way to praise Jesus in our own special language. The Holy Spirit prays within us and perfects our prayer. The other gifts ....prophesy, knowledge, dicernment of spirts, just come when one is united to Christ. The more one becomes united to Christ, the more they can get an accurate sense of things. The spirtual world affects the natural world more than we would ever realize. I definately believe these gifts are for the Church now, although they do not have to be manifested in everyone in such outward ways.

Edited by friendofJPII
johnnydigit
Posted

[quote name='friendofJPII' post='1616029' date='Aug 2 2008, 03:59 PM']I have the gift of tounges. It's not scary, tho. I first discovered it after a Life in the Spirit seminar. It's just a way to praise Jesus in our own special language. The Holy Spirit prays within us and perfects our prayer. The other gifts ....prophesy, knowledge, dicernment of spirts, just come when one is united to Christ. The more one becomes united to Christ, the more they can get an accurate sense of things. The spirtual world affects the natural world more than we would ever realize. I definately believe these gifts are for the Church now, although they do not have to be manifested in everyone in such outward ways.[/quote]

can you explain in more detail, or do you know of any links that explains the "gift of tongues" insofar as the current "charismatics" (life in the spirit) understand them? afaik, it begins with the openness to make utterances in praise of God, and becomes more refined as the person grows in spirituality. at a conference, a priest was speaking and told us that if we aren't familiar with it, to just start to babble like an infant, and do whatever the Spirit leads you to do. i am interested in what develops, if anything, past this phase.

i'm also interested in how this compares with the articles in the Catholic Encyclopedia, as it seems at odds with the descriptions..

Autumn Dusk
Posted (edited)

I have the gift of toungs except not my toung that speaks but my hands. :mellow: I translate ordinary speech into sign when there are deaf people around during catholic events.

Which is kinda neat becuase I can't hear that well myself. And I stink at sign.

Edited by Autumn Dusk
TotusTuusMaria
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1615550' date='Aug 1 2008, 11:21 PM']I believe in them, but I believe people misuse them. They pretend to have them for their own advantage, or delude themselves in a fervor.[/quote]

Agreed. Growing up in a Pentecostal church I have seen the idea of gifts being abused. Like one time these girls all supposedly went into tounges and started running up and down. Right before the Spirit gave them this gift they kicked off their high heels. I suppose the Holy Spirit moved them to do this for their safety?

Posted

AD, that's pretty cool.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1615597' date='Aug 2 2008, 12:20 AM']I've seen teenagers talk in tongues before. They were playing a video game.[/quote]
lawl... it's funny in my own context :P

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1615890' date='Aug 2 2008, 01:51 PM']I don't understand the... point... of speaking in tongues or the heavy compulsions or some of the stuff that's been described here (or the typical charismatic experiences of the gifts). To me, it honestly is just kind of weird and well... frightening. Just about as frightening as demonic possessions. I mean, the gift of interpreting tongues, like at a Mass in a different language-- now THAT seems right. But to be mumbling in an incomprehensible language in a retreat house... to what point? Why would the Spirit make such manifestations.

It honestly just appears to be more like a gimic than anything else. Maybe it is, maybe it's not. I don't know. But I guess when I read this biblical passage about the gifts, I think of them being expressed more in everyday life-- not just at some retreat or something. People being able to discern spirits as they go through their day. Someone understanding a different language. Resting in the Lord.....

I don't know. I've never experienced the gifts in the "charismatic setting". I have had experiences in my life where I believe the Spirit has given me the gift to discern spirits or to simply rest in the Lord. So, I don't know. The fact that it just happens randomnly and without much purpose, that's what bothers me. And it makes it seem more like somesort of possession than anything else.[/quote]

Those are some good thoughts. I quite agree. The gifts are supposed to be for real life situations, not retreats. Heck, that's where I'd be most skeptical about this stuff, cause, Like what was said before, people start to go with the emotional flow.

friendofJPII
Posted

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1616048' date='Aug 2 2008, 05:26 PM']can you explain in more detail, or do you know of any links that explains the "gift of tongues" insofar as the current "charismatics" (life in the spirit) understand them? afaik, it begins with the openness to make utterances in praise of God, and becomes more refined as the person grows in spirituality. at a conference, a priest was speaking and told us that if we aren't familiar with it, to just start to babble like an infant, and do whatever the Spirit leads you to do. i am interested in what develops, if anything, past this phase.

i'm also interested in how this compares with the articles in the Catholic Encyclopedia, as it seems at odds with the descriptions..[/quote]


Sometimes I will just start praising God, "Thank you Jesus," "Praise you Jesus, etc, and after a few moments I feel the spirit leading me to pray in tounges. It is a very natural thing. I'm not possessed or anything, I can start and stop whenever I want. I'm not speaking another language or anything like that, I just feel that the HS is praying in a language more perfect than words.

Honestly, I don't understand it all myself. But I trust Him.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...