An Old School Catholic Message Board

Will Animals Go To Heaven?

Paladin D

Spiritual_Arsonist

[quote name='FX2' date='Mar 3 2004, 10:09 PM'] PETA probably thinks so :D [/quote]
LOL!!! Thats funny. They probably do think that.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Spiritual_Arsonist

[quote name='vianney' date='Mar 3 2004, 10:23 PM'] Animals do to have souls according Aquinas. Just not the same souls humans have. [/quote]
What kind of souls?

well, i know animals don't have souls, so supposedly no. however i don't think it's outside the realm of impossibility, cuz hey it's God. Case in point (so you all won't label me a heretic! :P ) in heaven each of us will be happy but each of us at different levels ( i know that's not quite how i want to word that, please bear in mind i'm trying to pull this out of my head from sr. theology class back in high school, and it's been a few months!) but if what would make you truly happy is being with your favorite pet/s God might be able to make that happen. if not, well i try to look at it this way, maybe for those who really love their animals maybe it's God's way of showing them a taste of what heaven is like. just my .02

Animals and plants do have souls... not all have eternal souls. For life to exist, it must have a spirit... that is the teaching of the Church.

As for animals not having eternal souls, I don't think that there has been a infallible answer to the question.

The reasoning behind previous thought that they do not have eternal souls is because they do not "have" higher intelligence. (as per ECF's)

But... we know that some animals, such as chimps, and gorillas, can be taught sign language and talk to us with sign language - this proves higher thought. they can get a vocabulary of about 400 words. Also, some parrots have been taught to use symbols to communicate to us - hence higher thought.

This is something that no one can possibly know for certain, so I don't think there will ever be an infallible teaching on it.

Our concern should be that we are to treat animals with proper respect. We should not be cruel to them.

[i]Respect for the integrity of creation[/i]

The seventh commandment enjoins respect for the integrity of creation. Animals, like plants and inanimate beings, are by nature destined for the common good of past, present, and future humanity.195 Use of the mineral, vegetable, and animal resources of the universe cannot be divorced from respect for moral imperatives. Man's dominion over inanimate and other living beings granted by the Creator is not absolute; it is limited by concern for the quality of life of his neighbor, including generations to come; it requires a religious respect for the integrity of creation.196

Animals are God's creatures. He surrounds them with his providential care. By their mere existence they bless him and give him glory.197 Thus men owe them kindness. We should recall the gentleness with which saints like St. Francis of Assisi or St. Philip Neri treated animals.

God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image.198 Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing. They may be domesticated to help man in his work and leisure. Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives.

It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons.

God Bless,
ironmonk

Yes they do have souls. Aquinas says all living things have souls. The animal soul is much different then that of a human. Plants also have souls but they are different from animal souls. The human soul contains all three aspects of plant and animal souls along with the ability to comprehend and love God. Which makes the human soul active and intelligent.

IXpenguin21

no no no no no

there is no reason for animals to go to heaven.
there is no divine likness in their being.

they are not made in God's likeness, and do not need to be in comunion with Him.

they have no salvation because they do not sin.
their only purpose is to be creations of God. Through them, we can see parts of what God is, but not nearly as well as humans manafest this purpose (i.e. Fido and Fifi creating baby puppies like God creates baby people is more of a stretch than man and woman in the act of creating baby people in the sacrament of marriage in God's plan like God creates baby people in His plan. we see a shady image of this in the first example).

Animals are serving their purpose and have no ability to reason, so they cannot act in error.

Animals are purely beastial, and absolutly not spiritual.
Angels are purely spiritual, and absolutly not beastial.

Man is the perfect combination of the two. It's in the choosing of the spiritual over the beastial that allows us admitance into God's presence in heaven. Animals do not have this option and Angels choose to use their spirituality to either unite with God, or reject Him (fallen angels).

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Mar 3 2004, 10:41 PM'] Animals and plants do have souls... not all have eternal souls. For life to exist, it must have a spirit... that is the teaching of the Church.

As for animals not having eternal souls, I don't think that there has been a infallible answer to the question.

The reasoning behind previous thought that they do not have eternal souls is because they do not "have" higher intelligence. (as per ECF's)

But... we know that some animals, such as chimps, and gorillas, can be taught sign language and talk to us with sign language - this proves higher thought. they can get a vocabulary of about 400 words. Also, some parrots have been taught to use symbols to communicate to us - hence higher thought.

This is something that no one can possibly know for certain, so I don't think there will ever be an infallible teaching on it.

Our concern should be that we are to treat animals with proper respect. We should not be cruel to them.

[i]Respect for the integrity of creation[/i]

The seventh commandment enjoins respect for the integrity of creation. Animals, like plants and inanimate beings, are by nature destined for the common good of past, present, and future humanity.195 Use of the mineral, vegetable, and animal resources of the universe cannot be divorced from respect for moral imperatives. Man's dominion over inanimate and other living beings granted by the Creator is not absolute; it is limited by concern for the quality of life of his neighbor, including generations to come; it requires a religious respect for the integrity of creation.196

Animals are God's creatures. He surrounds them with his providential care. By their mere existence they bless him and give him glory.197 Thus men owe them kindness. We should recall the gentleness with which saints like St. Francis of Assisi or St. Philip Neri treated animals.

God entrusted animals to the stewardship of those whom he created in his own image.198 Hence it is legitimate to use animals for food and clothing. They may be domesticated to help man in his work and leisure. Medical and scientific experimentation on animals is a morally acceptable practice if it remains within reasonable limits and contributes to caring for or saving human lives.

It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons.

God Bless,
ironmonk [/quote]
once again, very well said Monk! :)

you too IXpenguin21

IXpenguin21

[quote name='M.SIGGA' date='Mar 3 2004, 10:51 PM'] I hope they do because I can't spend eternity without barbeque ribs :lol: [/quote]
:lol: :P :rolling: :rotfl:

that's hilarious

you get a fishslap
:fishslap: