Madame Vengier Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='HisChildForever' post='1641484' date='Aug 29 2008, 12:19 PM']I am super excited about this.[/quote] I'm going for more ice cream later on!! Yesterday I was having ice cream 'cause I was depressed by all this horrible political news. Now I want to celebrate!
Madame Vengier Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='atheling' post='1641574' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:26 PM']Hammering and yammering.[/quote] Talk to your mirror, Miss "I'm so Catholic and so respectful of life, that's why I provoke and insult other Catholics and pro-lifers at Phatmass in order to prove it". Talk to your mirror.
Madame Vengier Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='dUSt' post='1641569' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:23 PM']You're mean.[/quote] And you're up to Number Six. Again, thanks for your input.
XIX Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1641557' date='Aug 29 2008, 02:12 PM']So if she wanted to burn up Jews or gays or Catholics in ovens, that would be okay because she's pro-life? Broaden your perspective. Everyone here agress that the abortion issue is of profound importanance and for most us, a deal-breaker in politics. But Sarah Palin needs support NOT just for being pro-life. She is not running for VP of Pro-lifers.[/quote] Well if she was for that, then that would be a human rights crisis near the level of what abortion is now. So of course that wouldn't be okay. And I never said it was "okay" for her to be awful on the other issues. Please don't put words into my mouth. People don't agree that abortion is of utmost importance, no matter what they say. They look at foreign policy or an economic downturn and think that's a good reason to paint Pres. Bush as a failure of a president, even though he's done more for the pro-life movement than any president probably since Roe v. Wade. The problem is, people who harp on single issue voters are often only 2 or 3 issue people themselves. They usually just point to the economy or a few questionable foreign policy decisions and determine that he is the worst president we've ever had, based on those few issues. Anti-abortion is a fine acid test. If you're against abortion, you're probably going to agree with me about the other important moral issues (a Christian pro-life hockey mom isn't likely to support ESCR, for example). Above all, I take serious issue with your assertion that I need to broaden my perspective. That is insulting, uncalled for, and given how little you know of me, it's a very judgmental statement. Just because I disagree with a part of your view on politics, does not mean I'm narrow-minded or that I an uneducated. People are allowed to disagree with you, and those who do are not necessarily the jerks you make them out to be. Some people examine their beliefs honestly, follow their conscience and decide they must have a different viewpoint than some other people. Those other people do not then get to accuse anybody of "having to broaden their horizons."
dUSt Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1641577' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:30 PM']And you're up to Number Six. Again, thanks for your input.[/quote] Just be nicer. You can tell me that 1 + 1 = 3, and if you say it really nicely, I'll agree.
dominicansoul Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='XIX' post='1641579' date='Aug 29 2008, 12:31 PM']Well if she was for that, then that would be a human rights crisis near the level of what abortion is now. So of course that wouldn't be okay. And I never said it was "okay" for her to be awful on the other issues. Please don't put words into my mouth. People don't agree that abortion is of utmost importance, no matter what they say. They look at foreign policy or an economic downturn and think that's a good reason to paint Pres. Bush as a failure of a president, even though he's done more for the pro-life movement than any president probably since Roe v. Wade. The problem is, people who harp on single issue voters are often only 2 or 3 issue people themselves. They usually just point to the economy or a few questionable foreign policy decisions and determine that he is the worst president we've ever had, based on those few issues. Anti-abortion is a fine acid test. If you're against abortion, you're probably going to agree with me about the other important moral issues (a Christian pro-life hockey mom isn't likely to support ESCR, for example). Above all, I take serious issue with your assertion that I need to broaden my perspective. That is insulting, uncalled for, and given how little you know of me, it's a very judgmental statement. Just because I disagree with a part of your view on politics, does not mean I'm narrow-minded or that I an uneducated. People are allowed to disagree with you, and those who do are not necessarily the jerks you make them out to be. Some people examine their beliefs honestly, follow their conscience and decide they must have a different viewpoint than some other people. Those other people do not then get to accuse anybody of "having to broaden their horizons."[/quote] iawtc
Madame Vengier Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='XIX' post='1641579' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:31 PM']Well if she was for that, then that would be a human rights crisis near the level of what abortion is now. So of course that wouldn't be okay. And I never said it was "okay" for her to be awful on the other issues. Please don't put words into my mouth. People don't agree that abortion is of utmost importance, no matter what they say.[/quote] But you're replying and arguing with someone who DOES believe that, so I really don't get what this is for. I was ONLY asking that Sarah Palin be supported for her other issues as well. What is wrong with this request? Why does this have to become an argument? Oh right, so some of you can blame me when it does become an argument.
XIX Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1641576' date='Aug 29 2008, 02:29 PM']Talk to your mirror, Miss "I'm so Catholic and so respectful of life, that's why I provoke and insult other Catholics and pro-lifers at Phatmass in order to prove it". Talk to your mirror.[/quote] This might be the most ironic post I've seen in a long, long time time.
XIX Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1641584' date='Aug 29 2008, 02:33 PM']But you're replying and arguing with someone who DOES believe that, so I really don't get what this is for. I was ONLY asking that Sarah Palin be supported for her other issues as well. What is wrong with this request? Why does this have to become an argument? Oh right, so some of you can blame me when it does become an argument.[/quote] I wasn't arguing.
Madame Vengier Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='dUSt' post='1641581' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:32 PM']Just be nicer. You can tell me that 1 + 1 = 3, and if you say it really nicely, I'll agree.[/quote] Why would you agree to something that isn't true, no matter how nicely it's said to you? Thanks again for your support of your fellow Catholic.
StColette Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1641573' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:25 PM']Exxxxxxxxxxxxxactly. That is why I keep hammering about pro-lifers moving forward and supporting her for the big picture. It's up to Republicans to sell Palin to America for all the ways she will benefit America.[/quote] Exactly. Now while pro-lifers are definitely going to fixate on the fact that she is pro-life, its also important for us to push the other issues that she has wonderful stances on. We have to admit to ourselves that not everyone is pro-life and some people are right on the verge, but they don't see it as an important issue, at least to them. I believe what Madame V is trying to say is that we should push Palin's full agenda, not just her prolife one, because that will not necessarily appeal to everyone. The point now is to sell her stances on all the other issues to the people that are pro-abortion or frankly don't hold a position.
Madame Vengier Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='XIX' post='1641585' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:34 PM']This might be the most ironic post I've seen in a long, long time time.[/quote] So then you must agree that it's okay to do that. Or is only wrong when I do it? But others are free to do it? Then I'm the one who is told to "be nice". Why doesn't this apply to others? You know what? I came into this thread and simply asked that Sarah Palin be supported for her other views as well as her pro-life views. And THREE people have started an argument with me, including one who insulted me by referring to my comments as "yammering". But then I'm lectured about "being nice". Tell me something isn't wrong here.
Madame Vengier Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='StColette' post='1641592' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:39 PM']Exactly. Now while pro-lifers are definitely going to fixate on the fact that she is pro-life, its also important for us to push the other issues that she has wonderful stances on. We have to admit to ourselves that not everyone is pro-life and some people are right on the verge, but they don't see it as an important issue, at least to them. I believe what Madame V is trying to say is that we should push Palin's full agenda, not just her prolife one, because that will not necessarily appeal to everyone. The point now is to sell her stances on all the other issues to the people that are pro-abortion or frankly don't hold a position.[/quote] That is PRECISELY what I was saying. But apparently it wasn't well-received because I was "yammering" and not "being nice".
pan!c139 Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 I am so excited about his pick!!!! What a brilliant choice! I couldn't be happer! Just yesterday I was talking in the "Obama assassination" topic and feeling low about the whole thing, and then I wake up to great news!!! McCain seriously made a smart choice with Palin!
dominicansoul Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1641597' date='Aug 29 2008, 12:41 PM']That is PRECISELY what I was saying. But apparently it wasn't well-received because I was "yammering" and not "being nice".[/quote] Exactly
HisChildForever Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1641595' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:40 PM']So then you must agree that it's okay to do that. Or is only wrong when I do it? But others are free to do it? Then I'm the one who is told to "be nice". Why doesn't this apply to others? You know what? I came into this thread and simply asked that Sarah Palin be supported for her other views as well as her pro-life views. And THREE people have started an argument with me, including one who insulted me by referring to my comments as "yammering". But then I'm lectured about "being nice". Tell me something isn't wrong here.[/quote] It seems to me that people enjoy picking fights with you. Because they know that you won't tolerate it, and you'll defend yourself, and then they'll start screaming that you're the argumentative person, thus you get blamed for the chaos. Hm. Yep. Sounds about right.
StColette Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1641597' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:41 PM']That is PRECISELY what I was saying. But apparently it wasn't well-received because I was "yammering" and not "being nice".[/quote] lol I understood what you were meaning, and I don't think you were yammering. It's important to push all her issues, not just the pro-life ones, cause honestly folks not everyone is pro-life and lots of people just don't care about the pro-life agenda one way or the other. Of course pro-life issues are the most important, but when you are trying to sell a politician, who is pro-life, to a non pro-lifer then you have to bring out all the other issues too. Trying to convince a person who doesn't have an abortion stance or is pro-abortion to vote for a pro-life politician by merely focusing on their prolife agenda is like trying to prove that God exists to an atheist by using the Bible only.
pan!c139 Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 Palin's got everything: a son in the army, pro-life stance, a child with down syndrome, experience in running a government...on top of that, she's a woman! She was even talking about her plans to help the energy crisis in Alaska this morning in her speech. I agree with St. Colette. I think she sufficiently talked about some other issues this morning.
dUSt Posted August 29, 2008 Posted August 29, 2008 [quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1641587' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:35 PM']Why would you agree to something that isn't true, no matter how nicely it's said to you? Thanks again for your support of your fellow Catholic.[/quote] Because, niceness is a great sign of thoughtfulness, and if a person is very thoughtful, it shows that they think out their arguments rationally, and therefore, are usually correct--where I am harsh and argumentative. Therefore, nice people are usually the correct people.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now