Guest Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 (edited) then a lutheran ?? or a baptist ?? or lets say a non denominational christian ?? i guess better is not the correct word.....hmmm... will a faithfull catholic recieve more rewards or better rewards in heaven ?? since they have it alot tougher then the two groups mentioned above.... just the simple fact that catholics have to deal with moral sin seems its pretty obvious their load is heavier.... then if you throw in the fact we cant miss mass either we really got it tougher... so more rewards for us ?? or am i just a selfish vain person for asking this and worrying about rewards ?? Edited September 4, 2008 by Guest
goldenchild17 Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 better? no. not on our own merit anyways. More rewards in heaven? My personal belief is only Catholics get to heaven at all anyways, so yeah I would think so.
Guest Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 [quote name='goldenchild17' post='1647057' date='Sep 4 2008, 03:13 AM']better? no. not on our own merit anyways. More rewards in heaven? My personal belief is only Catholics get to heaven at all anyways, so yeah I would think so.[/quote] so you think lutherans, baptist, and non denominational christians dont get into heaven ?
philothea Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 A faithful Catholic has better tools to sanctify themselves -- sacraments, sacramentals, and the help of the whole Church. Saints and visionaries have said that just saying a single Hail Mary gets a person great glory in heaven, so I think most Catholic stuff is indeed very much ultimately rewarding. And honestly, I don't know that non-Catholics, at least in the modern era, are any less culpable for doing the right thing than the Catholics are. The information about the truth of the Church is trivially and abundantly available to anyone who looks for it. If people choose not to look... I don't know if that's a valid excuse. Willful ignorance is not a free pass. Everyone is born to be a saint.
Guest Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 [quote name='philothea' post='1647061' date='Sep 4 2008, 03:20 AM']Saints and visionaries have said that just saying a single Hail Mary gets a person great glory in heaven.[/quote] thats pretty cool, i hope thats true. i'll have one thing going for me at least.
jckinsman Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 You are very funny, The key words hear are "full knowledge" If you have full knowledge of the truth of God,and choose to do the opposite He docks you points on the big score board of life. If you are catholic and you get down to a negative number,you go straight to hell,without collecting the $200. People of other denominations except for satanists get to go to a place called "fairytopia" It is a lower level of heaven,but they think they are there,God does not want to let them down from all of that Bible reading they misinterpeted. Satanists will definatly go straight to the netherworld along with the people that vote for Obama. ahhhhh and last but not least, The perfect catholics section, a place in heaven where you look somewhat like Ken and Barbie,you float on clouds all day long and eat all of the cotton candy that you could ever want. Yes, there is a Giant Ferris-Wheel and white sand beaches also. If you make it here,you will be the first one to do so. I think the closest was Mother Theresa or Saint Maria Goretti. Good luck! All joking aside, I have no idea, I'm not dead yet,although I do know that as catholics we are "aware" of mortal sin. Which holds us to a higher standard of truth. Once you know,YOU KNOW.No matter how much you really do not want to know,you still know.Do other faiths know? In order for it to be a mortal sin it has to be full knowledge. So do they really know? I mean they can commit mortal sin and be aware of it to be wrong and against God.They just do not call it a "mortal sin".They can truly believe they are saved by "accepting the Lord as their personal saviour" Do they really know?? Some may and some may not. That is why we as Catholic's are never allowed to say that anyone is going to Hell. We can make some pretty strong predictions but really we are all judged seperately.Only Gods knows your guts and that is truly what counts.Confession every 4-8 weeks is a good thing.
goldenchild17 Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 [quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1647058' date='Sep 4 2008, 02:14 AM']so you think lutherans, baptist, and non denominational christians dont get into heaven ?[/quote] as a general rule, no. I do believe in extraordinary cases of baptism of blood or desire, but in those cases the person is actually Catholic. And yes I believe in invincible ignorance but I think in today's age that is EXTREMELY rare, as in almost nonexistant today.
picchick Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 I read in This is Our Faith that there are levels of heaven...the more you know the fullness of truth, the more you get to see God. For example, I do not think, no matter how hard I try, I will see God the same way as say, St. Peter does or St. Agnes. I'll have to find the quote...
goldenchild17 Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 [quote name='picchick' post='1647150' date='Sep 4 2008, 09:21 AM']I read in This is Our Faith that there are levels of heaven...the more you know the fullness of truth, the more you get to see God. For example, I do not think, no matter how hard I try, I will see God the same way as say, St. Peter does or St. Agnes. I'll have to find the quote...[/quote] Is that the one from the '50s? I love that book. My mom's got it and I'm hoping to get my own copy soon. If you can post the quote sometime that would be cool because I don't remember reading that (though I don't remember reading most of what I do )
picchick Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 [quote name='goldenchild17' post='1647166' date='Sep 4 2008, 10:34 AM']Is that the one from the '50s? I love that book. My mom's got it and I'm hoping to get my own copy soon. If you can post the quote sometime that would be cool because I don't remember reading that (though I don't remember reading most of what I do )[/quote] Oh yeah...mos def...I have run for now...I am getting my blasted iTunes worked out I probably just insulted a bunch of Mac users.
goldenchild17 Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 (edited) they deserve to be Edited September 4, 2008 by goldenchild17
MakeYouThink Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 [quote name='goldenchild17' post='1647131' date='Sep 4 2008, 10:04 AM']as a general rule, no. I do believe in extraordinary cases of baptism of blood or desire, but in those cases the person is actually Catholic. And yes I believe in invincible ignorance but I think in today's age that is EXTREMELY rare, as in almost nonexistant today.[/quote] And the spirit of religion flourishes, while the spirit of God wanes.
princessgianna Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 [quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1647050' date='Sep 4 2008, 03:00 AM']then a lutheran ?? or a baptist ?? or lets say a non denominational christian ?? i guess better is not the correct word.....hmmm... will a faithfull catholic recieve more rewards or better rewards in heaven ?? since they have it alot tougher then the two groups mentioned above.... just the simple fact that catholics have to deal with moral sin seems its pretty obvious their load is heavier.... then if you throw in the fact we cant miss mass either we really got it tougher... so more rewards for us ?? or am i just a selfish vain person for asking this and worrying about rewards ?? [/quote] i have always understood it as As Catholics we hold the whole Truth! We are also protected in ways that Non catholics aren't. we receive special graces through the holy Eucharist while other denominations do not. As Christians they hold some parts of the Truth! Though there are missing gaps. This is why we don't judge we don't know!
MissyP89 Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 Agreed in some ways with Gianna. Are we, as Catholics, better [i]people[/i] than anyone else? No. Are we even better Christians? Not often--we slip up just as much as our Protestant brothers and sisters. The thing that sets Catholics apart is that, like Gianna said, we have everything that Jesus gave to His Apostles, and every means to convey His grace to us in this world. Protestants may have some of these things, but not all, and that is a huge shortcoming on their part.
thessalonian Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 The truth sanctifies. The sacraments santify. It is hard to say if we sin less than non-catholics or not. I've seen evidence that we do and evidence that we don't. But if truth santifies then those Catholics who listen to it are more sanctified. Is this better, no, it's just the grace of God working in us. We are more accountable. That is for sure. "to whom much has been given, much will be required". In Luke 12 the servant who is doing rightly but does not persevere in right behavior is dealt with more harshly than the man who did evil but did not know that it was evil. Catholic who follow their faith have a deepening awareness of their sin. The more I go to confession the more I know that I sin.
Winchester Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 All Catholics receive their own PS7. Lutherans get a TurboGrafx16. Baptists get an Atari, but can't play it. Non Denoms get a random system with games for a completely different platform. Sheep go to Heaven. Goats go to Hell.
Ash Wednesday Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 (edited) Some of the most outwardly "devout" Catholics I've seen can also be some of the most rude and arrogant people with no concept of common sense or social skills. I do think that non-religious people citing hypocrisy as their reason for avoiding religion are often using a cop-out excuse. BUT that being said, there is a grain of truth to those reservations and hypocrisy IS a powerful tool of the devil's. But anyway, I think every thread should have a Winchester post. He owns. Who's playing the Pong? Edited September 4, 2008 by Ash Wednesday
jckinsman Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 [quote name='Winchester' post='1647374' date='Sep 4 2008, 02:28 PM']All Catholics receive their own PS7. Lutherans get a TurboGrafx16. Baptists get an Atari, but can't play it. Non Denoms get a random system with games for a completely different platform. Sheep go to Heaven. Goats go to Hell.[/quote] Agreed, Sheep do go to Heaven and Goats do go to Hell. ....but I do think that you have it wrong on the Baptists,they Do get an Atari but they just can not play space invaders or dance with the machine. I could be wrong on this,...anybody? ...anybody? I did also hear once that cats do not ever leave purgatory,I think it was a pride issue or something!
HisChildForever Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 [quote]Some of the most outwardly "devout" Catholics I've seen can also be some of the most rude and arrogant people with no concept of common sense or social skills.[/quote] I remember parking in the Church parking lot with my mother's van when I was 17 years old. I had just gotten my license, was by myself, and was totally nervous squeezing between two other cars and had to keep adjusting. This woman was rotten - she was coming up behind me and had to wait as I adjusted myself and she thought I was going to hit her - and her looks and comments only made me more nervous. After I got out and she parked, I tried apologizing for the hold up and she completely brushed me off. It turns out she was the lector for that Mass.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now