Saint Therese Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 I am on vacation and I went to Mass this morning with my brother in law. It was horrible. I mean, don't get me wrong, holy Mass is always HOLY, but there lots of abuses. It was going okay until just after the liturgy of the Word. I seriously had to ask myself if I had somehow missed the rest of Mass because they had some lady come up and read the announcements and Father read a few things and told some jokes. Seriously. Then after that the Liturgy of the Eucharist was started, as if it were two totally separate services. And then, get this: there were [b]SEVENTEEN[/b] extra ordinary eucharistic ministers. That's right [b]SEVENTEEN[/b]. It is a large parish, the largest in the city, but not THAT large. I mean I could expect seventeen at maybe a Papal Mass or something. Right? Also, and this is something that bothers me more than anything else: the containers the extraordinary ministers used to distribute Jesus were made out of glass. It looked like a dish you might have in your kitchen. All the altar severs were girls. The priest in his homily gave several examples of forgiveness: all the examples were of women. I was asking myself, why didn't they give any examples of men? Everyone held hands during the Our Father (except myself). I'm not someone that feels that a Mass has to be said a certain way just to so that I might be happy. But it bothers me when there are so many things in one Mass that are clearly abuses, especially the glass "containers" (not ciborium). It makes me sad, really. I forgot to mention that in the church there is no tabernacle; There is an adjacent Blessed Sacrament chapel. Any thoughts? Please tell me that its not just me!
Kitty Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 [quote]All the altar severs were girls.[/quote] [quote]Everyone held hands during the Our Father (except myself).[/quote] As far as I know these are not abuses.
rizz_loves_jesus Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 (edited) ^^ agreed. Edited September 7, 2008 by rizz_loves_jesus
missionseeker Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 [quote name='Kitty' post='1649918' date='Sep 7 2008, 12:20 PM']As far as I know these are not abuses.[/quote] altar servers *should* be guys. Holding hand is against the norm in the GIRM.
Maggyie Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 Ah, these things happen. If you let it bother you, you will have problems. Just think to yourself, "water off the back of a duck, water off the back of a duck." Quack, quack...
rizz_loves_jesus Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 [quote name='missionseeker' post='1649926' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:30 PM']altar servers *should* be guys.[/quote] That's your opinion, though. Altar girls are allowed in the church.
missionseeker Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 [quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1649929' date='Sep 7 2008, 12:37 PM']That's your opinion, though. Altar girls are allowed in the church.[/quote] ... not MY opinion.
Vincent Vega Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 (edited) [quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1649929' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:37 PM']That's your opinion, though. Altar girls are allowed in the church.[/quote] Is that contrary to what she said? Altar Servers: Are females allowed? Yes. Are males encouraged? Yes. Edited September 7, 2008 by USAirwaysIHS
Saint Therese Posted September 7, 2008 Author Posted September 7, 2008 However the containers for the HOly Eucharist may NOT be glass. And surely 17 eucharistic ministers is way beyond anything that could pass for necessary.
princessgianna Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 [quote name='Saint Therese' post='1649908' date='Sep 7 2008, 12:53 PM']I am on vacation and I went to Mass this morning with my brother in law. It was horrible. I mean, don't get me wrong, holy Mass is always HOLY, but there lots of abuses. It was going okay until just after the liturgy of the Word. I seriously had to ask myself if I had somehow missed the rest of Mass because they had some lady come up and read the announcements and Father read a few things and told some jokes. Seriously. Then after that the Liturgy of the Eucharist was started, as if it were two totally separate services. And then, get this: there were [b]SEVENTEEN[/b] extra ordinary eucharistic ministers. That's right [b]SEVENTEEN[/b]. It is a large parish, the largest in the city, but not THAT large. I mean I could expect seventeen at maybe a Papal Mass or something. Right? Also, and this is something that bothers me more than anything else: the containers the extraordinary ministers used to distribute Jesus were made out of glass. It looked like a dish you might have in your kitchen. All the altar severs were girls. The priest in his homily gave several examples of forgiveness: all the examples were of women. I was asking myself, why didn't they give any examples of men? Everyone held hands during the Our Father (except myself). I'm not someone that feels that a Mass has to be said a certain way just to so that I might be happy. But it bothers me when there are so many things in one Mass that are clearly abuses, especially the glass "containers" (not ciborium). It makes me sad, really. I forgot to mention that in the church there is no tabernacle; There is an adjacent Blessed Sacrament chapel. Any thoughts? Please tell me that its not just me! [/quote] it is not just you! The Church is changing to what it is supposed to be from the "Vatican II we can be liberal now" change! it will take a couple years before it fully corrects itself just be patient and pray!
Saint Therese Posted September 7, 2008 Author Posted September 7, 2008 [quote name='princessgianna' post='1649964' date='Sep 7 2008, 02:07 PM']it is not just you! The Church is changing to what it is supposed to be from the "Vatican II we can be liberal now" change! it will take a couple years before it fully corrects itself just be patient and pray! [/quote] I guess I just didn't realize how spoiled I was with my parish, which has the Novo Ordo Mass, but nothing crazy like I mentioned above. I think i'm more appreciative now!
SpareTime Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 [quote name='Saint Therese' post='1649968' date='Sep 7 2008, 02:14 PM']I guess I just didn't realize how spoiled I was with my parish, which has the Novo Ordo Mass, but nothing crazy like I mentioned above. I think i'm more appreciative now![/quote] I wouldn't call that spoiled, I would call it pampered by Jesus himself who loves a reverent mass!
zabbazooey Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 Offer it up The only thing I don't 'like' about my parish is it does not have a tabernacle in the church. It does, however, have a perpetual adoration chapel with the exposed blessed sacrament
Saint Therese Posted September 7, 2008 Author Posted September 7, 2008 [quote name='SpareTime' post='1649981' date='Sep 7 2008, 02:26 PM']I wouldn't call that spoiled, I would call it pampered by Jesus himself who loves a reverent mass![/quote] Yes, I guess that's true. Once I was visiting another parish and had the misofortune to attend the Life Teen Mass. I seriously questioned whether or not I had entered some other denomination's church by mistake.
princessgianna Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 We have the Latin Mass(1962) at my parish (just got it last Christmas Eve) but the Church is so modern we don't have communion rail! So nobody sits in the front row and it works out..till we can install one of course!
SpareTime Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 [quote name='princessgianna' post='1650003' date='Sep 7 2008, 02:49 PM']We have the Latin Mass(1962) at my parish (just got it last Christmas Eve) but the Church is so modern we don't have communion rail! So nobody sits in the front row and it works out..till we can install one of course![/quote] I am going to our Latin Mass in exactly one hour! Quatre heures!
Guest KevinSymonds Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 Glass containers are against the rubrics. I believe [i]Redemptionis Sacramentum[/i] had more on this point.... Holding hands during the Our Father: against the rubrics. 17 EMHC's: Highly unnecessary. Bet not a one was an actual acolyte (there is a ritual one goes through to be an acolyte). Altar servers: According to the Church's directive on this, FEMALE altar servers are [i]permitted[/i] ONLY when there is a shortage of males to serve.
missionseeker Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 [quote name='KevinSymonds' post='1650006' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:52 PM']Glass containers are against the rubrics. I believe [i]Redemptionis Sacramentum[/i] had more on this point.... Holding hands during the Our Father: against the rubrics. 17 EMHC's: Highly unnecessary. Bet not a one was an actual acolyte (there is a ritual one goes through to be an acolyte). Altar servers: According to the Church's directive on this, FEMALE altar servers are [i]permitted[/i] ONLY when there is a shortage of males to serve.[/quote] and a shortage of males is not more girls than guys.
Nihil Obstat Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 [quote name='Saint Therese' post='1649908' date='Sep 7 2008, 11:53 AM']I forgot to mention that in the church there is no tabernacle; There is an adjacent Blessed Sacrament chapel.[/quote] I'm not quite an expert on this sort of thing... what would the ideal situation be? At first glace it seems like a seperate chapel would... at least not be a bad thing. Just thinking offhand... the church that my grandmother goes to in Saskatoon has that. I think. I don't go to Saskatoon often. Our church has a pretty tabernacle. Simple and reverent looking.
princessgianna Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 [quote name='SpareTime' post='1650005' date='Sep 7 2008, 02:52 PM']I am going to our Latin Mass in exactly one hour! Quatre heures![/quote] me too! 3:00pm is the Latin mass noon is the Life teen On easter the Latin Mass was on noon it said so in the bulliten people must not read those though the church was full at the beginning my bro who was a Latin mass server said that the faces on people' s face was priceless when communion time came nearly 1\2 were gone!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now