An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Certainly Don't Think Hitler Was As Bad As Luther

ok guys im really starting to stuggle here...im not here to try to get a rise out of people...ive been posting since o3 and for the most part ive been a complete idiot...im the first to admit that...but not right now....

im really struggling.....i love God and I want to love the catholic church and what it teaches....Im bombarded in this war everyday....I turn on tbn and im hearing from christians there who say they love GOD ect. ect. ect. Then im hearing programs on there saying that the catholic church is a cult and the false church from revelations.....blah blah blah

i think its mostly b.s. but then i get confused....there teaching a rapture, i come here im told there is no rapture.......its just like its overwheliming....im catholic, i want to be cathoic, i believe that is where God wants me.....but it really troubles me sometimes what i hear catholics say....

like don john, when he says things like this it is hurtfull....i have lutheran friends and family who i LOVE and when i hear him say things like this it really upsets me....im sorry about this thread, but again, its not to get a rise or start problems, im just really bothered by some of the things said because they dont sound christian at all.....not one bit...

Edited by Guest

Hitler was by far worse. Luther merely broke away from the Church and started his own religion. He had morals and principle. Hitler, on the other hand, declared that only a certain type of people were human beings, and anyone different than that certain type deserved to die. All hell broke loose on earth because of Hitler. He was evil and malicious. Luther was neither evil nor malicious.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1651709' date='Sep 9 2008, 08:13 PM']+J.M.J.+
then pm Don John with a link to this thread and wait for his response. :)[/quote]

Agreed.

I understand that some people may be having some struggles here, and it's good that you would seek clarification. Like Red said, DJ is a highly educated man and (unless my brain completely fails me) history is his field. I am sure he had good reason for what he said. Also, as some people may not be aware, DJ's style is what we have jokingly referred to in the past as the "hammer over the head method." If something he says strikes you as a little harsh try breaking down what he says and look at the basic facts, or get him to explain his reasons for saying what he says before questioning why he's Church Militant. Believe me, he earned the tag. ;)

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1651687' date='Sep 9 2008, 06:55 PM']+J.M.J.+

Don John is a highly educated man, a teacher, and i would guess knows more about the Church, and history than me or you combined. he is a highly respected member of this phorum and has been for years. so please give him the respect that is due, and give him a chance to explain before you go labeling him. thanks.[/quote]

no doubt lil red i agree with you. read my about me in my profile. i state right there i know very little about the history of the church, popes, and saints. one thing i do know though is that we are saved by faith through christ, not by works, in case anyone should boast. ( not takeing away from the sacraments, if one has real faith works will follow)

and i do respect don john and i told him today in the catholics are better thread that he is way better and way more knowlegable catholic then i could ever dream to be. but at the same time when he says things like no such thing as a repentent protesant that loves god or that luther was worst then hitler, i gotta throw up my red flag. and when you add that he is church militant i gotta thow it up again.

but i do respect what you said and even agree with what you said. i probally did come off to aggressive, so for that im sorry.

Edited by Guest

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1651725' date='Sep 9 2008, 07:29 PM']Agreed.

I understand that some people may be having some struggles here, and it's good that you would seek clarification. Like Red said, DJ is a highly educated man and (unless my brain completely fails me) history is his field. I am sure he had good reason for what he said. Also, as some people may not be aware, DJ's style is what we have jokingly referred to in the past as the "hammer over the head method." If something he says strikes you as a little harsh try breaking down what he says and look at the basic facts, or get him to explain his reasons for saying what he says before questioning why he's Church Militant. Believe me, he earned the tag. ;)[/quote]

cool and i respect that ice. and again i will state i was not trying to start trouble, i was just bothered by what he said and i let my emotoins get the best of me. godbless.

[quote name='pan!c139' post='1651711' date='Sep 9 2008, 06:18 PM']Hitler was by far worse. Luther merely broke away from the Church and started his own religion. He had morals and principle. Hitler, on the other hand, declared that only a certain type of people were human beings, and anyone different than that certain type deserved to die. All hell broke loose on earth because of Hitler. He was evil and malicious. Luther was neither evil nor malicious.[/quote]

couldnt agree more.

[quote name='Seven77' post='1651749' date='Sep 9 2008, 06:45 PM']Don John, I really want to know what you meant by the statement.[/quote]

ya me to....
Golden Child made some comment like don jonn made in the catholics are better thread and father pontifex called him out on it and asked him why even post at phatmass ?? don john then went on to disagree with pontifex and side with golden child....again, it was on the topic about no protestant in the western world being repentent or really loveing God....

another statement from him on that thread : " Your Lutherian friends may indeed go to Heaven, for that matter, Hitler may have as well, that we do not know. "

Edited by Guest

Hitler committed suicide. There's no possible way.

Luther, on the other hand, repented before his death, so I heard. :mellow:

Man, this is like comparing Obama to McCain. :rolleyes:

[quote name='pan!c139' post='1651767' date='Sep 9 2008, 07:08 PM']Hitler committed suicide. There's no possible way.

Luther, on the other hand, repented before his death, so I heard. :mellow:

Man, this is like comparing Obama to McCain. :rolleyes:[/quote]

wow :smokey:
obama is a brother in Christ, i sure hope hitler isnt.

Edited by Guest

You know what I really dont care and im done on this. I dont think there is no explanation to makeing hatefull commets like this and then trying to rationalise them. Its just plain up hurtfull to compare the two and i would hate for a young lutheran "CHRISTIAN" to be roaming and read this. Hitler was an evil man who killed and tortured innocent people. The comment was beyond wrong and very hurtfull no way around it. Godbless

Edited by Guest

Saying Luther was a worse evil than Hitler in no way diminishes Hitler's evil. I think it's rather a commentary on the grave damage DJ sees Luther having inflicted upon the Church, who is the Bride of Christ. While one may agree or not, it appears people have drawn conclusions and made accusations without explanation. Thus the question appears to be disingenuous character assassination rather than an honest attempt at dialogue.

I assure you, apart from his deplorable habit of wearing ties with short sleeve shirts, DJ is unimpeachable.