An Old School Catholic Message Board

Official Major League Baseball Postseason Thread

Paladin D

WOW!

Did anyone see that amazing comeback from the Red Sox to win it 8-7 against the Rays in Game 5? I bet [b]Eramight[/b] is jumping for joy! :lol:

This was the 2nd-largest comeback in MLB postseason history.

Edited by Paladin D

Let's see if the Phillies can break the Curse of Billy Penn, which is worse than Boston's Curse of the Bambino, since it has hobbled all four of Philly's major sports teams. There was - forever - a gentleman's agreement (although we learned in school that it was a LAW) that no cowntown building could be higher than the hat of William Penn's statue on top of City Hall. In 1987 some developers had the nerve to put up a skyscraper practically beside him...then another followed...then another. They got theirs, and not a single major sports team has made it through to a championship since. Peace-loving Quaker gentleman that he was, we trust that 20 years was enough of this and Founder William will smile favorably on the Phils this time.

[quote name='littlesister' post='1679644' date='Oct 17 2008, 02:07 AM']Let's see if the Phillies can break the Curse of Billy Penn, which is worse than Boston's Curse of the Bambino, since it has hobbled all four of Philly's major sports teams. There was - forever - a gentleman's agreement (although we learned in school that it was a LAW) that no cowntown building could be higher than the hat of William Penn's statue on top of City Hall. In 1987 some developers had the nerve to put up a skyscraper practically beside him...then another followed...then another. They got theirs, and not a single major sports team has made it through to a championship since. Peace-loving Quaker gentleman that he was, we trust that 20 years was enough of this and Founder William will smile favorably on the Phils this time.[/quote]

Yep.

Thought a few Superbowls ago the Eagles would've broken that curse against the Patriots, yet we blew it at the end and lost it by 3 points.

Let's hope the Phillies can break the curse, and not become what the Cubs have... a team that has failed to win a World Series in 101 years.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1679675' date='Oct 16 2008, 11:38 PM']Oh man what happened to the White Sox? Where did they go? Did they lose already? man that was quick[/quote]

/me hands squirrelboy a big "L".

Excelsior1027

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1679616' date='Oct 17 2008, 12:34 AM']WOW!

Did anyone see that amazing comeback from the Red Sox to win it 8-7 against the Rays in Game 5? I bet [b]Eramight[/b] is jumping for joy! :lol:

This was the 2nd-largest comeback in MLB postseason history.[/quote]
Being a Yankees fan, I was naturally rooting for the Rays, but I got to admit, that was an awesome game. What a comeback!

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1679674' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:35 AM']Yep.

Thought a few Superbowls ago the Eagles would've broken that curse against the Patriots, yet we blew it at the end and lost it by 3 points.[/quote]

They choked. :lol:

I feel bad for McNabb when he pukes on the sidelines...

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='littlesister' post='1679644' date='Oct 17 2008, 02:07 AM']Let's see if the Phillies can break the Curse of Billy Penn, which is worse than Boston's Curse of the Bambino, since it has hobbled all four of Philly's major sports teams. There was - forever - a gentleman's agreement (although we learned in school that it was a LAW) that no cowntown building could be higher than the hat of William Penn's statue on top of City Hall. In 1987 some developers had the nerve to put up a skyscraper practically beside him...then another followed...then another. They got theirs, and not a single major sports team has made it through to a championship since. Peace-loving Quaker gentleman that he was, we trust that 20 years was enough of this and Founder William will smile favorably on the Phils this time.[/quote]

Is 20 years long enough to declare yourself under a curse? There are many teams in every sport that have 20, 30, 40-year championship droughts without any alleged curse business goin' on. Maybe by this point Philadelphians can start discussing the possibility, but think it'll be another decade or so because I feel much pity for them :)

I am rooting for the Phillies in the World Series though, partly because I'm glad they beat a team that shouldn't have made the second round of playoffs if the Cubs had played like they should have, and because I gotta root for the National League. I rooted for Boston in 2004, and even last year, but they've gotten their's and it's time to "spread the wealth," so to speak.

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1679674' date='Oct 17 2008, 02:35 AM']Let's hope the Phillies can break the curse, and not become what the Cubs have... a team that has failed to win a World Series in 101 years.[/quote]

Actually, 100 years :) Of course, I personally think these so called "curses" of the Red Sox, White Sox, Astros and other teams that have (or did) experience decades of championship-less misery have more to do with the Yankees winning so many.

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1679616' date='Oct 17 2008, 12:34 AM']WOW!

This was the 2nd-largest comeback in MLB postseason history.[/quote]
I am ashamed to admit it, but I went to sleep when it was 5-0. I had an excuse though, I didn't sleep the night before.

[size=5][b]Phillies win game 1 against the Rays!!![/b][/size]

Score 3-2!!!

I guess I'm the only one following the World Series?