abercius24 Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1667218' date='Sep 30 2008, 08:34 PM'][img]http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages01/tns_014TheNeverEndingStory.jpg[/img] [img]http://laurajane.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/emp1.jpg[/img] Call my name! Bastian! Please! Save us![/quote]
Autumn Dusk Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='aalpha1989' post='1667245' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:23 PM']No one said that. It's not only renaissance art and architecture, it is art and architecture in a high, sacred, and solemn style. This cathedral is none of the above, and, as others have said, it ignores the Christology of the Mass and of worship in general.[/quote] WHY? It has the same intention of the early church builders....light, tall, bright and airy...awe inspiring...
puellapaschalis Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 Speaking for myself, it might draw my attention to the beautiful sunshine, but that'd be at the expense of my attention to God. Besides, I'f I'm kneeling at the Consecration, I'd like to see the Consecration and nothing other than the Consecration, and certainly not some nose-picking chap on the other side of church in my direct line of sight.
Excelsior1027 Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1667540' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:26 AM']Speaking for myself, it might draw my attention to the beautiful sunshine, but that'd be at the expense of my attention to God. Besides, I'f I'm kneeling at the Consecration, I'd like to see the Consecration and nothing other than the Consecration, and certainly not some nose-picking chap on the other side of church in my direct line of sight.[/quote] For me, that church building just does not look prayer-conducive. I'd feel like I was in some movie about the 23rd century or something if I walked in there.
Norseman82 Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' post='1667184' date='Sep 30 2008, 07:24 PM']Wait... isn't that a liturgical abuse? I thought the altar was supposed to be at one end of the church, not in the middle.[/quote] I don't know about that. Does not St. Peter's have the altar set up in such a way that massgoers can be on all 4 sides? Additionally, the parish where I sometimes attend for TLM is set up with an altar in the middle in the main church.
rizz_loves_jesus Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='Norseman82' post='1667611' date='Oct 1 2008, 10:49 AM']I don't know about that. Does not St. Peter's have the altar set up in such a way that massgoers can be on all 4 sides? Additionally, the parish where I sometimes attend for TLM is set up with an altar in the middle in the main church.[/quote] Hmm. I guess I was wrong then!
Winchester Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 Looks like theater in the round. I think the interior arrangement is symbolic, best with the priest facing the same direction as the people, since he's leading us in prayer to God. But that's just me.
Ziggamafu Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 More info at this video: [url="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2591252595724200168&ei=3anjSMfPPIXE-wH5tbwC&q=cathedral+of+christ+the+light&vt=lf"]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...light&vt=lf[/url]
TotusTuusMaria Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='CatholicCid' post='1667256' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:32 PM']It's a circle, there are no ends.[/quote] The fact that it is a circle is not such a good excuse. The church of San Marcos in Salamanca is a perfect circle too, but it still has all three altars in the "front" of the church. [url="http://imageshack.us"][img]http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/510/sanmarcls6.jpg[/img][/url] [url="http://imageshack.us"][img]http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/9500/sanmarc1zg1.jpg[/img][/url]
Sparky Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 Nice convention center! Oh wait... that's a [i]cathedral[/i]?
filiusInFilio Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='mortify' post='1667179' date='Sep 30 2008, 07:19 PM'][img]http://static.flickr.com/147/397461494_a919d5c9e0.jpg[/img] Read more [url="http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_10532925"][u][b]here[/b][/u][/url] [img]http://www.metropolismag.com/images/images_0601/cal/i.jpg[/img][/quote]
Sparky Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 That can't seriously be Catholic anyway, right? There's no crucifix...
CatherineM Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 Just think how much it would cost to air condition that place. Or clean the pigeon stuff off the windows. Not a good stewardship of future parish resources.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 That's what the Fortress of Solitude would look like if it was a church. Here's a picture of the priest in full liturgical garments to match the new church: [img]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/JorEl_1.jpg[/img]
ThatOneGirl9 Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 I like the way its very clean and white and how the "spire"/high roofs seem to lead your gaze torwards heaven, like the Benedictine Monastaries near where I live... but yes, I think the altar should be at the end of the church... having it where it is makes it seem more like an arena... The white-ness makes you remind you of heaven too, kinda of like the nice older churches where the roofs are painted to look like the starry sky... like you're suspended between earth and heaven... yeah thpse are nice!
Hassan Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='mortify' post='1667179' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:19 PM']I find this type of architecture absolutely unappealing and totally unfitting for a Cathedral, but that's my opinion. [img]http://static.flickr.com/147/397461494_a919d5c9e0.jpg[/img] Read more [url="http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_10532925"][u][b]here[/b][/u][/url] [img]http://www.metropolismag.com/images/images_0601/cal/i.jpg[/img][/quote] I wonder how many starving children in Africa that money could have saved. Seriously I will by the Catholic argument about the wealth of the Vatican, and the Catholic Church does do some AMAZING charity work in the world (I have met some Catholic Church missionaries and I have nothing but admiration for them) yet this makes me sick (looking at that Church).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now