princessgianna Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 i think that those Churches are so ugly!! no offense but they look like so bare and[size=5] hollow[/size] [size=3]hollow[/size] [size=1]hollow[/size] and ugly i love it when you walk into a Church and everywhere you look you see paintings and pictures and statures of angels and saints and of Our Mother Mary Queen of Heaven and Earth! and every thing is decorated so nicely! i mean that is just my opinion though pax~
CatholicCid Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1667716' date='Oct 1 2008, 01:02 PM']The fact that it is a circle is not such a good excuse. The church of San Marcos in Salamanca is a perfect circle too, but it still has all three altars in the "front" of the church. [url="http://imageshack.us"][img]http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/510/sanmarcls6.jpg[/img][/url] [url="http://imageshack.us"][img]http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/9500/sanmarc1zg1.jpg[/img][/url][/quote] That's it, go stand in the corner (of the circle)!
mortify Posted October 1, 2008 Author Posted October 1, 2008 (edited) [quote name='Hassan' post='1667840' date='Oct 1 2008, 05:30 PM']I wonder how many starving children in Africa that money could have saved.[/quote] I wonder how many starving African children could be saved if we sold the Metropolitan Museum of Art and all it's precious artwork. Fact is we will always have the poor with us and there is nothing wrong with spending for the Glory of God. I just find this building absolutely drab and any projection of Catholic symbolism into it's architecture unconvincing. Ultimately we will see whether such a building will bring more to Christ or not, God willing it will. Edited October 1, 2008 by mortify
aalpha1989 Posted October 1, 2008 Posted October 1, 2008 [quote name='Hassan' post='1667840' date='Oct 1 2008, 05:30 PM']I wonder how many starving children in Africa that money could have saved. Seriously I will by the Catholic argument about the wealth of the Vatican, and the Catholic Church does do some AMAZING charity work in the world (I have met some Catholic Church missionaries and I have nothing but admiration for them) yet this makes me sick (looking at that Church).[/quote] It's not about the money. Money can and should be spent on centers of worship because they truly do increase the faith of the faithful. That being said... This WAS a waste of their money. They should have built something more solemn and reverent.
princessgianna Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 aalpha1989 and mortiy have already said what i was going to say so you can just see what they said to see what i think! People like decorating their houses very nice-nothing wrong with that! let's make sure we fix God's house up!
Winchester Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 [quote name='mortify' post='1667912' date='Oct 1 2008, 07:42 PM']I wonder how many starving African children could be saved if we sold the Metropolitan Museum of Art and all [color="#FF0000"]it's [/color]precious artwork[/quote] "its"
Guest Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 (edited) [quote name='mortify' post='1667179' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:19 PM']I find this type of architecture absolutely unappealing and totally unfitting for a Cathedral, but that's my opinion. [img]http://static.flickr.com/147/397461494_a919d5c9e0.jpg[/img] Read more [url="http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_10532925"][u][b]here[/b][/u][/url] [img]http://www.metropolismag.com/images/images_0601/cal/i.jpg[/img][/quote] dope Edited October 2, 2008 by Guest
CatherineM Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 I'm not as concerned about the money spent, because any decent building, custom made, will cost more money than it should anyway. I'm concerned about the appearances. What's wrong with at least attempting to appear on the surface slightly humble. It's these kinds of churches that make us a target for lawyers and anti-Catholics.
Hassan Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 [quote name='mortify' post='1667912' date='Oct 1 2008, 07:42 PM']I wonder how many starving African children could be saved if we sold the Metropolitan Museum of Art and all it's precious artwork.[/quote] The artwork is not superfluous, much of the building it is housed in is, and as to that I am in total agreament with you. America does not pretend to place serving the poor and doing God's work as it's highest priority. We are a consumerist, capitalist nation and do not pretend to be anything but, it is at least less hypocritical. [quote]Fact is we will always have the poor with us and there is nothing wrong with spending for the Glory of God.[/quote] Yes there is. Spending millions upon million to install marbel when wood will due while children are crying with hunger pains tonight is wicked and evil. [quote]Ultimately we will see whether such a building will bring more to Christ or not, God willing it will.[/quote] Pope John Paul II brough more people to God than any building will, he did not need disgusting wealth to do it.
Excelsior1027 Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 (edited) [quote name='Raphael' post='1667765' date='Oct 1 2008, 02:48 PM']That's what the Fortress of Solitude would look like if it was a church. Here's a picture of the priest in full liturgical garments to match the new church: [img]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/JorEl_1.jpg[/img][/quote] Ditto, looks like something from Krypton. Edited October 2, 2008 by Excelsior1027
Hassan Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 [quote name='princessgianna' post='1667925' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:02 PM']People like decorating their houses very nice-nothing wrong with that! let's make sure we fix God's house up![/quote] I think it's wrong. I can't buy $80 jeans becuase I simply woulden't be able to look myself in the mirror knowing I was wearing expensive cloathing while children are starving. These are values instilled in me through nine years of Franciscan run Catholic School. So perhapse it is Franciscan frugality but I find this disgusting.
filiusInFilio Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 "Nothing could better obstruct the confrontation of man with God than the notion that we "go unto the altar of God" as we would go to a pleasant, relaxing social gathering... The basic error of most of the innovations is to imagine that the new liturgy brings the holy sacrifice of the mass nearer to the faithful, that shorn of its old rituals the mass now enters into the substance of our lives. For the question is whether we better meet Christ in the mass by soaring up to Him, or by dragging Him down into our own pedestrian, workaday world. The innovators would replace holy intimacy with Christ by an unbecoming familiarity. The new liturgy actually threatens to frustrate the confrontation with Christ, for it discourages reverence in the face of mystery, precludes awe, and all but extinguishes a sense of sacredness. [u][b]What really matters, surely, is not whether the faithful feel at home at mass, but whether they are drawn out of their ordinary lives into the world of Christ-whether their attitude is the response of ultimate reverence: whether they are imbued with the reality of Christ.[/b][/u]" - D. Von Hildebrand
CatholicCid Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 [quote name='Hassan' post='1668156' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:37 PM']I think it's wrong. I can't buy $80 jeans becuase I simply woulden't be able to look myself in the mirror knowing I was wearing expensive cloathing while children are starving. These are values instilled in me through nine years of Franciscan run Catholic School. So perhapse it is Franciscan frugality but I find this disgusting.[/quote] I must admit, my general thought to such responses are, how are you online at this moment? If you are on your own personal computer, sell it and give the money to the poor. If you are on a loaned or library computer, go out and use your time to help the poor. And I hate $80 jeans too... I generally hate $80 anything.
jeffpugh Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1667218' date='Sep 30 2008, 08:34 PM'][img]http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages01/tns_014TheNeverEndingStory.jpg[/img] [img]http://laurajane.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/emp1.jpg[/img] Call my name! Bastian! Please! Save us![/quote] lawl. [quote name='CatherineM' post='1667749' date='Oct 1 2008, 02:31 PM']Just think how much it would cost to air condition that place. Or clean the pigeon stuff off the windows. Not a good stewardship of future parish resources.[/quote] That's the spirit! You've found something bad to say about it srsly though, I agree. and not to mention, too "spirit of vatican II"
Noel's angel Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 You know what I don't get about these round churches. They're designed by the same people who think that the priest shouldn't 'have his back to the people', er....look at your church...half the congregation are sitting behind the priest. Sheesh, talk about a lack of logic.
T-Bone _ Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 [quote name='Noel's angel' post='1668299' date='Oct 2 2008, 06:44 AM']You know what I don't get about these round churches. They're designed by the same people who think that the priest shouldn't 'have his back to the people', er....look at your church...half the congregation are sitting behind the priest. Sheesh, talk about a lack of logic.[/quote] Yup.
azaelia Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 (edited) [quote name='Hassan' post='1668156' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:37 PM']I think it's wrong. I can't buy $80 jeans becuase I simply woulden't be able to look myself in the mirror knowing I was wearing expensive cloathing while children are starving. These are values instilled in me through nine years of Franciscan run Catholic School. So perhapse it is Franciscan frugality but I find this disgusting.[/quote] [url="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2342/1638303151_b0552945a0.jpg?v=0"]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2342/163830...52945a0.jpg?v=0[/url] This is the Portiuncula replica at Franciscan University of Steubenville. Inside it is decorated as it was in the middle ages. No marble, but St. Francis made it as grand as he himself was able with the resources he had at hand. St. Francis had the opposite view of churches that you have, he thought that if churches were being built, they should use the best they had. I dont clean my house before my family visits because I think they would be disgusted, I do it because I respect them and want my home to be as lovely and comfortable as possible. I have the same philosophy about churches. This is Luthien btw not azaelia. Im going to kick her butt later for leaving herself logged in. Edited October 2, 2008 by azaelia
Sarah_JC Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 Correct me if I'm wrong... but the all-white pic... Isn't that a foam core model? I don't think that means they intend it to be all white when it's finished. I like the wall/windows, but not the floor plan. Also as an aside, I can't buy cheap clothing knowing that it was made by someone who didn't earn a decent wage. 3/4 of my clothes is thrift store, and 1/4 is rather expensive professional pieces that cost more than 80$. However, it's well made and built to last for a decade or more. I don't see how that affects my financial ability to feed the poor. Fewer expensive clothes can cost less in the end than twice as much cheap clothing. Similarly, a well built cathedral can last longer than a slapped-together church. I feel more welcome in a beautiful church than one that looks like someone's rec room.
zabbazooey Posted October 2, 2008 Posted October 2, 2008 I actually really like it. I think it's absolutely gorgeous. They do need to put a crucifix in there. and I'm not talking about those "risen Christ" ones either...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now