An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pro Life Democrat

flip

Hello phamily,

I'm a Pro-life democrat politically, which I think is the most in line with Catholic teaching...having a perfect blend of Catholic Social Teaching, Catholic Economic Teaching, and the Sanctity and Dignity of Human Life...

I looked everywhere to find some stickers or something that would promote Pro Life Democrats in the world...and I found none.

So, I made a bumper sticker.

If any of you are in the same predicament, pick one up and show it off proudly!

www.cafepress.com/prolifedemocrat

also, visit and become a member of Democrats For Life:
www.democratsforlife.org

I guess I just don't understand why one would continue to affliate themselves with a party that has been involved in so much destruction and evil. Like the Catholic Church has a specific creed, one does not call themselves "a pro-choice Catholic". If you do, you use the terms in contradiction with each other. I simply cannot consider you a democrat because you are prolife. You do not stand for what democrats have officially embraced.

It is interesting that the Daily Roman Missal states in its examination of confession that affiliations with the Communist Party or Freemasonry carry with it the pain of serious, possibly mortal sin. I can imagine that one day the Democrat Party will be among that list if they continue to hold the same beliefs.

If their pro-choice creed was the ONLY thing wrong with the Demoncratic party, maybe you could call yourself a pro-life Democrat. Problem is, Demoncrats are pro-everything sinful. They are in favor of same sex marriages, embryonic stem cell research, human cloning, etc. etc.
Some of the more conservative Bishops are coming right out and calling it the party of death. So, pull yourself out of utopia before you go so far down the road you lose sight of the right path.

Another problem is that the pro-choice demoncrats will treat you like the "feminists" treat Sarah Palin. You can only be feminine if you adhere to their agenda - the WHOLE agenda. So, you can only be a demoncrat if you adhere to their whole agenda. Hollywood is on board with it. There's a real good moral crowd - right?

IMO Pro-life and Democrat have become antonymous.

It's going to take a lot more people like flip to change that, and after they tackle that issue there are the other ones FSM Sister mentioned.

[quote name='flip' post='1682063' date='Oct 20 2008, 05:47 PM']Hello phamily,

I'm a Pro-life democrat politically, which I think is the most in line with Catholic teaching...having a perfect blend of Catholic Social Teaching, Catholic Economic Teaching, and the Sanctity and Dignity of Human Life...

I looked everywhere to find some stickers or something that would promote Pro Life Democrats in the world...and I found none.

So, I made a bumper sticker.

If any of you are in the same predicament, pick one up and show it off proudly!

www.cafepress.com/prolifedemocrat

also, visit and become a member of Democrats For Life:
www.democratsforlife.org[/quote]

No thank you on the bumpersticker,Thank you for being prolife.

The old school southern democrats who were very family value, has either migrated to the republican party, or just ignores the abortion issue. I'm a pro-life democrat. I know many old school democrats don't think that abortion is an issue for them because no one they know has them, and figure it is a "colored" issue.

[quote name='FSM Sister' post='1682259' date='Oct 20 2008, 11:00 PM']If their pro-choice creed was the ONLY thing wrong with the Demoncratic party, maybe you could call yourself a pro-life Democrat. Problem is, Demoncrats are pro-everything sinful. They are in favor of same sex marriages, embryonic stem cell research, human cloning, etc. etc.
Some of the more conservative Bishops are coming right out and calling it the party of death. So, pull yourself out of utopia before you go so far down the road you lose sight of the right path.[/quote]

I'm not an "anti-abortion democrat", I'm a "pro-life democrat" which includes my opposition to to everything you mentioned.

you should read "Economic Justice For All" by the US Catholic Bishops - it is pretty much the antithesis of a republican platform on economy. They even call Health Care a human right - that should never be denied to ANYONE...

As far as I am concerned, they only thing Catholic about the Republican platform is abortion.. especially since McCain is pro embryonic stem cell research, support of gay marriage by states, and in favor of abortion in cases of rape and incest

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1682174' date='Oct 20 2008, 09:51 PM']I guess I just don't understand why one would continue to affliate themselves with a party that has been involved in so much destruction and evil. Like the Catholic Church has a specific creed, one does not call themselves "a pro-choice Catholic". If you do, you use the terms in contradiction with each other. I simply cannot consider you a democrat because you are prolife. You do not stand for what democrats have officially embraced.

It is interesting that the Daily Roman Missal states in its examination of confession that affiliations with the Communist Party or Freemasonry carry with it the pain of serious, possibly mortal sin. I can imagine that one day the Democrat Party will be among that list if they continue to hold the same beliefs.[/quote]

I affiliate ourselves with the party because we believe that what the party stands for is essentially what the Church stands for, except for the most important issue of life.

Politics aren't religions - you can pick and choose your political issues, you can't pick and choose your religious beliefs. That's why several political parties exist (even though only two parties are popular). Look at politics around the world, alot of countries have several different parties.

I would probably classify myself as a pro-life democrat as well, for the same reasons that Flip did. Indeed, I think I've been a pro-life democrat since high school.

As to those who ask "why", or point out the utopian thinking of this, or what have you ... I think that the notion of "pro-life democrat" causes a certain amount "cognitive dissonance". It makes you think, or say "Wha?" Sure, it may be likely that the Dems will never come around, but it sure is a darn good witness in liberal America to call oneself a "pro-life democrat". Sure, we'll probably be ridiculed for it, and our candidates probably will never make it to the big time, but there is merit in the effort and suffering.

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1682720' date='Oct 21 2008, 04:14 PM']I would probably classify myself as a pro-life democrat as well, for the same reasons that Flip did. Indeed, I think I've been a pro-life democrat since high school.

As to those who ask "why", or point out the utopian thinking of this, or what have you ... I think that the notion of "pro-life democrat" causes a certain amount "cognitive dissonance". It makes you think, or say "Wha?" Sure, it may be likely that the Dems will never come around, but it sure is a darn good witness in liberal America to call oneself a "pro-life democrat". Sure, we'll probably be ridiculed for it, and our candidates probably will never make it to the big time, but there is merit in the effort and suffering.[/quote]

Amen!

And, I'm not so sure about our candidates not making it... check the list below. Plus, we have awesome people like BOB CASEY, JR. who NEEDS to run for freaking president.

Pro-Life Democrats Running in the 2008 Elections

Alabama-2 (Open Seat)
Bobby Bright

Alabama-5 (Open Seat)
State Senator Parker Griffith

Georgia - 9
Dr. Jeff Scott
Kentucky - 2
State Senator David Boswell

Louisiana- 4
John Milkovich
Willie Banks
Paul Carmouche

Michigan - 11
Joseph Larkin

Minnasota - 6
Elwyn Tinklenberg

Ohio - 1
Steve Driehaus

Ohio - 14
Bill O'Neill

Ohio - 16
John Boccieri

Pennsylvania - 3
Kathy Dahlkemper

Nebraska - 2
Jim Esch

South Carolina - Senate Seat
Bob Conley
Tennesee - 7
Jim Tomasik

Texas - 8
Kent Hargett

Texas-21
Brian Ruiz

Texas -32
Eric Roberson

If I was forced to align myself with one party or the other, the label closest to my views would probably be "Pro-life Democrat".

It smells of elderberries that the life issue has been divided so much down party lines.

If Obama wasn't so pro-choice I'd vote for him, but, morally, I cannot--especially since reading the recent letter from the Dallas and Ft Worth bishops on this issue.