An Old School Catholic Message Board

Giving Testimony

tinytherese

the lords sheep

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1712376' date='Nov 27 2008, 07:45 PM']Another point regarding "it is OK to be single". I was reading [url="http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0001254.cfm/"]a review of Debbie Maken's book "Getting Serious about Getting Married"[/url], and she quotes from John Calvin, saying that "the man who chooses to stay single (without a specific call from God) is guilty of 'stealing' a husband from a wife. Logically, I'm sure it applies the other way around. And just because it is John Calvin saying it does not necessarily make it wrong; I'm sure even he could correctly state that 2 + 2 = 4.[/quote]

I have no doubt that John Calvin can correctly state that 2 + 2 = 4. However, that is not the question at hand. For John Calvin (according to Calvinist principles and their interpretation of the Bible) this also applies to all priests and religious: that you are "stealing a husband from a wife" (or a wife from a husband in the case of religious Sisters). Any one person who refuses to marry and have children (and thus propagate the Christian religion in this manner) is guilty of the same crime.
It is okay to be single. Sometimes it is necessary. Often a complete commitment is required of one person in order for them to do best what God is calling them to. My friend is in medical school because she wants to be a missionary. She doesn't necessary want to be a religious, but she wants to go into 3rd world countries to serve the poor. Would she be able to take a husband and children with her? Would it be fair to them to ask it of them?
Even beyond this, Christians who are called to marriage are called to live chastely (both while dating and once married, although they mean two different things). When I was on the dating scene, I can't tell you how hard it was to find a young man who respected my beliefs in this area. As soon as the topic came up, and I made it clear that we weren't going beyond kissing (forget sleeping with him!), a guy wouldn't call back for awhile, if ever. How is one to marry if they can't find someone who shares their beliefs? One's vocation, maybe not by choice, but by lack of option, may become a life of single celibacy. Therefore, the Church cannot (and does not) condemn a faithful Christian for being single, but rather asks that person to use their time and their gifts and even their celibacy to build up the kingdom of God.

[u][b]Quoting the lords sheep[/b][/u]

[quote][quote] [b]Therefore, the Church cannot [/b][/quote](and does not) condemn a faithful Christian for being single, but rather asks that person to use their time and their gifts and even their celibacy to build up the kingdom of God.[/quote]

Good comment. I do think too that we need to [u][b]insight, grasp and understand - spread abroad - evangelize[/b][/u] that our Baptism is a vocation and call to live The Gospel commited to Christ and journeying to Unity. Our state in life through baptism is one espoused to Christ as a member of The Church, Spouse of Christ. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ forming the one family under Christ no matter our unique vocation and place where Christ calls us to serve in His Earthly Family. One Body, many members and multi gifted for the life of the whole Body.
A call to marriage or the religious state of sister, brother, nun or priest.......or diocesan priest is a call founded on and flowing from the prime vocation of Baptism. Or one may be called to the Order of Virgins and canonical consecration of the physical state of viginity. One may be called to live as a lay person under private, even secret and entirely personal vows. However one can if one wishes (usually through one's director) make private vows received at Mass and though a public Mass, the vows are still regarded in the canonical sense as private vows.
One may join some sort of canonical spiritaul organization within The Church - perhaps as a member of a Third Order in the lay state. Many really innovative and visionary forms of a focused Gospel commited life are arising in The Church.

Or one may simply choose and is called by God to live out one's Baptism in the very fullest sense in the secular and single state. There are very many reasons why a person may be called to follow this vocation. Sometimes force of circumstances are the means by which God clearly indicates His Will for a life. It becomes a question of perspective and attitude. We can view certain unchosen circumstances as limitations, or means by which God indicates His Will for a life.

Undoubtedly some form of community in the life one does choose and has been called to by God is a gift and wonderful help to living out that way of life. It can, of course, be a burden too.
Nothing strictly human is ever perfect for absolutely sure. Whatever indeed perfection may be in an ultimate sense.

Barb :)