An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Thought That Order Was For You, But It Isn't ....?

water

[quote name='water' post='1700480' date='Nov 12 2008, 11:04 PM']Although I had recently started to look into my vocation, in the last 2 years, I thought I am attractive to Franciscan. However, the more I pray and see in my heart, it isn't for me, and right now, I think I see myself more towards the Redemptorists for more important key reasons.

Did this happen to you?[/quote]

many times. each new one seems like they're for me, but then i go home and learn more about myself as i compare each visit. then i visit again, and it only proves what i was thinking. now i'm taking care of things at home while i decide which "key reasons" really makes the most sense, as well as staying open to anything new that comes my way. when the time comes i will just make a decision and jump in, while realizing that they may not be my final destination, but trust they are at least a good first step.

i'm going to make a list of pros and cons of each one, rating each thing in importance and grouping into categories, so i can see with my eyes which one is really standing out. then go into adoration and listen for God's voice. then go over the list again. then talk to my spiritual director. then pray and reserve the airplane ticket :)

Edited by johnnydigit

[quote name='Gemma' post='1700530' date='Nov 13 2008, 04:34 AM']Keep in mind that grace builds on nature, and that the Holy Ghost works on attraction.

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

can you expound on this? sounds very interesting..

Carmeliteheart726

I just got back from an awesome retreat this weekend! I was blessed to be in the company of so many holy religious. The CFR friars and sisters were there as were the Sisters of Life and the Servant Sisters of the Home of the Mother. I was so moved by the CFRs again this year, that I am wondering if I should reassess my discernment and find out if I am truly called to the Carmelites, or if I am called to the CFR sisters. I discerned joining their order early on my discernment and now I think I might discern them again. I know, if I was a man, I would join the Friars in a heartbeat, LOL. They are so amazing! Especially Fr. Glenn and Fr. Gabriel Mary.

[quote name='Carmeliteheart726' post='1709217' date='Nov 23 2008, 09:52 PM']I just got back from an awesome retreat this weekend! I was blessed to be in the company of so many holy religious. The CFR friars and sisters were there as were the Sisters of Life and the Servant Sisters of the Home of the Mother. I was so moved by the CFRs again this year, that I am wondering if I should reassess my discernment and find out if I am truly called to the Carmelites, or if I am called to the CFR sisters. I discerned joining their order early on my discernment and now I think I might discern them again. I know, if I was a man, I would join the Friars in a heartbeat, LOL. They are so amazing! Especially Fr. Glenn and Fr. Gabriel Mary.[/quote]

same here! i've been thinking about them again lately too..

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1709434' date='Nov 24 2008, 10:19 AM']same here! i've been thinking about them again lately too..[/quote]

LOL, I'll tell you, this discernment thing is not easy at all! I thought I was so sure, but I think I was wrong! I am so moved by the CFRs that I would consider it a blessing and privilege to join the Sisters. Their ministry is amazing and I love the fact that they are both active and contemplative. I was planning to visit the Brooklyn Carmelite monastery this next year, and I think I will visit the CFR sisters as well since the Bronx is close by. Hopefully, I will get clarity somehow. I also plan to go to Mass this week as well as Adoration. I think I have a Carmelite heart, but a Franciscan soul and vocation, LOL.

For a long time I thought I was being called to be a diocesean priest. But I think God is leading me a religious community since i have begun applying. I never would have thought that I would be seeking admission to a religious community...

she_who_is_not

[quote name='Carmeliteheart726' post='1709570' date='Nov 24 2008, 01:26 PM']LOL, I'll tell you, this discernment thing is not easy at all! I thought I was so sure, but I think I was wrong! I am so moved by the CFRs that I would consider it a blessing and privilege to join the Sisters. Their ministry is amazing and I love the fact that they are both active and contemplative. I was planning to visit the Brooklyn Carmelite monastery this next year, and I think I will visit the CFR sisters as well since the Bronx is close by. Hopefully, I will get clarity somehow. I also plan to go to Mass this week as well as Adoration. I think I have a Carmelite heart, but a Franciscan soul and vocation, LOL.[/quote]

A Poor Clare novice mistress once told me that it is quite common to be mutually attracted to the Carmelite and Franciscan charism. She advised that reading the great Carmelites is as good an introduction to Franciscan spirituality as any.

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1710054' date='Nov 24 2008, 07:36 PM']A Poor Clare novice mistress once told me that it is quite common to be mutually attracted to the Carmelite and Franciscan charism. She advised that reading the great Carmelites is as good an introduction to Franciscan spirituality as any.[/quote]

That's great to know :D I thought I was going crazy for thinking that I was more attracted to the Carmelites when really I am the most attracted to the Franciscans. It is funny because I didn't remember how much I was attracted to the CFR sisters until I was with them again. Plus, being with friars livened my prayer life. They have such respect for the Eucharist and the Blessed Virgin Mary. I am intrigued more than ever! I am planning to visit the convent in the Bronx for the CFR sisters when I can. I was planning to visit the Brooklyn Carmel out of curiosity, so I will visit them both during the same trip. :D

ya it's very common. even Fr. Groeschel is an Augustinian at heart, but it so happened that the Franciscans were the most compatible at the time..

as long as the community and charism are for me, it doesn't really matter to me what order they are anymore. e.g. the Norbertines and Oblates of the Virgin Mary are probably the two most solid and popular orders, even among young people, in California..

Carmeliteheart726

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1711174' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:24 AM']ya it's very common. even Fr. Groeschel is an Augustinian at heart, but it so happened that the Franciscans were the most compatible at the time..

as long as the community and charism are for me, it doesn't really matter to me what order they are anymore. e.g. the Norbertines and Oblates of the Virgin Mary are probably the two most solid and popular orders, even among young people, in California..[/quote]

LOL, that's funny :lol_roll: Have you ever met any of the friars? I met Fr. Glenn for the first time this past weekend and just loved his homilies. I thought it really cool that he helped establish the CFRs.

the lords sheep

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1711174' date='Nov 26 2008, 06:24 AM']as long as the community and charism are for me, it doesn't really matter to me what order they are anymore.[/quote]

Good for you, Johnny. That's a really blessed place to be, because it means your vocation is becoming less and less like you and more closely resembling the will of God for you.

[quote name='Carmeliteheart726' post='1711193' date='Nov 25 2008, 09:38 PM']LOL, that's funny :lol_roll: Have you ever met any of the friars? I met Fr. Glenn for the first time this past weekend and just loved his homilies. I thought it really cool that he helped establish the CFRs.[/quote]

well, i spent 9 days there last September when the postulants first moved in. it was such a blessing! i was gitty when i met some of the EWTN CFR celebrities. met Fr. Groeschel and had class with him and the postulants, then with the novices. they formed a circle of chairs in the back near the fountain and he sat me right in the middle facing him and made jokes. it was hilarious. then he got and signed me a copy of his Spiritual Passages.
met Fr. Apostoli when i was visiting his friary and didn't even realize it, i had to ask him who he was to make sure, then got pics.
met Fr. Marius from the Parables show when i stayed at Blessed Sacrament with the novices. he asked me to be a retreatant on the show in the following weeks, but i had to fly back in a few days!
Fr. Augustino from the Fishers of Men film comes to the Catholic Underground here in LA.
Fr. Leo the postulant director.
Fr. Luke the vocation director.
Fr. Augustine took me into Manhattan.
basically i spent a few days at most of the friaries. let's see who else.. well i'll send you a link to the pics so you can see for yourself!

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='1711316' date='Nov 26 2008, 02:06 AM']Good for you, Johnny. That's a really blessed place to be, because it means your vocation is becoming less and less like you and more closely resembling the will of God for you.[/quote]

wow thanks for that reflection, i hadn't realized it that way. i still would prefer to be a Franciscan though.. actually i really just want a big hood and pretend i'm a Star Wars jedi master while filming a vocation video or something.. if not it's cool, it's all up to Him. :)

Carmeliteheart726

[quote]well, i spent 9 days there last September when the postulants first moved in. it was such a blessing! i was gitty when i met some of the EWTN CFR celebrities. met Fr. Groeschel and had class with him and the postulants, then with the novices. they formed a circle of chairs in the back near the fountain and he sat me right in the middle facing him and made jokes. it was hilarious. then he got and signed me a copy of his Spiritual Passages.
met Fr. Apostoli when i was visiting his friary and didn't even realize it, i had to ask him who he was to make sure, then got pics.
met Fr. Marius from the Parables show when i stayed at Blessed Sacrament with the novices. he asked me to be a retreatant on the show in the following weeks, but i had to fly back in a few days!
Fr. Augustino from the Fishers of Men film comes to the Catholic Underground here in LA.
basically i spent a few days at most of the friaries. let's see who else.. well i'll send you a link to the pics so you can see for yourself![/quote]

Sounds awesome!!!

[quote]wow thanks for that reflection, i hadn't realized it that way. i still would prefer to be a Franciscan though.. actually i really just want a big hood and pretend i'm a Star Wars jedi master while filming a vocation video or something.. if not it's cool, it's all up to Him. :)[/quote]

LOL!!! :lol_roll:

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1711464' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:54 PM']well, i spent 9 days there last September when the postulants first moved in. it was such a blessing! i was gitty when i met some of the EWTN CFR celebrities. met Fr. Groeschel and had class with him and the postulants, then with the novices. they formed a circle of chairs in the back near the fountain and he sat me right in the middle facing him and made jokes. it was hilarious. then he got and signed me a copy of his Spiritual Passages.
basically i spent a few days at most of the friaries. let's see who else.. well i'll send you a link to the pics so you can see for yourself![/quote]

That is so cool!! :pimp:

VeniteAdoremus

Totally almost entered the Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara :)

I still love them, and their charism. But, as PP said... what? three years ago? "My little sister is under the unfortunate delusion that she simply [i]must[/i] be a Dominican." And when I least suspected it... WHAM. Vocation. And Dominican it was. :)