An Old School Catholic Message Board

John Walker Lindh's Parents Ask For Commutation

Lil Red

[quote name='Winchester' post='1732180' date='Dec 19 2008, 06:23 PM']I think she's cute as a bug.[/quote]

my usual awesome comeback of "your face is _____" won't work here without being kind of weird :unsure:

"your face is cute as a bug"

nope, doesn't have to same feel to it :sadder:

So absent a kick face amazing comeback I'll go on a tangent

I liked Bill Murry in "What About Bob"

We watched it in AP Psych for obvious reasons. I've seen it a number of times

[img]http://www.healthbolt.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/What-about-bob.jpg[/img]

:detective:

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Back to the subject of John Walker Lindh...yes, I remember reading about his parents' "decision" to allow him to make whatever choices he wanted regarding religion and not wanting to "interfere." Certainly not a TradMom kind of a decision, nor a TradDad, either. We certainly believe and honor free will, and all that means, but the rejection of Holy Mother Church is something entirely different...and we certainly would not be supportive of ANY of our children converting to Islam. Was it Catherine M who said above (I hit quick reply) that this was just when he needed his parents the most? Very true, and I am sorry he got involved in something so terrible, but actions do have consequences. Review the story on this young man and I am sure it will be quite easy to note that he was well aware of his "choices." His parents have always been begging for special treatment of him - he was old enough to move into a Muslim country and make very serious steps regarding his life, I suppose he is old enough to be a mature individual and accept the results of his behavior. As a mother, my heart grieves for the family and I will pray for them.

Something else that his dad said troubled me. After the Cole bombing, when his son told him he agreed with the bombing, his dad said that he was too old for him to influence anymore. I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm worried or confused, the first person I want to call is my mom. Both my foster sons have real moms and dads, and step-moms that they depend on, but when they are scared or in trouble, I'm the one they call for advice.

People who think they no longer can influence their kids once the kids are adults are clueless. Of course having the world's worst parents still doesn't give anyone a license to be a traitor.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1732247' date='Dec 19 2008, 08:30 PM']Something else that his dad said troubled me. After the Cole bombing, when his son told him he agreed with the bombing, his dad said that he was too old for him to influence anymore. I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm worried or confused, the first person I want to call is my mom. Both my foster sons have real moms and dads, and step-moms that they depend on, but when they are scared or in trouble, I'm the one they call for advice.

People who think they no longer can influence their kids once the kids are adults are clueless. Of course having the world's worst parents still doesn't give anyone a license to be a traitor.[/quote]

I don't see why treason is seen as so abhorant. I mean you don't control what country you are born in, and obviously this guy abdicated is citizenship. That's not a defense, he joined an organization that targets civilians I hope he stays in prison a long time.

And yeah. He claimed that because the Cole docked in Yemen that was a military attack against Islam so the attack was justified. In my mind that proves he knew what he was getting into (never mind how docking in the port of a secularish state, with that state's permission is an act of war against Islam) and I have no pitty for him.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Hassan' post='1732199' date='Dec 19 2008, 05:42 PM']We watched it in AP Psych for obvious reasons. I've seen it a number of times[/quote]

I'm sorry... What are the obvious reasons for watching theatrical movies in an AP class?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1732632' date='Dec 20 2008, 03:17 PM']I'm sorry... What are the obvious reasons for watching theatrical movies in an AP class?[/quote]

Because of the various disorders.

This was after the AP exams. At my school we were on block and the AP exams were like a month before the end of the year. So they had to cram a years worth of material in us in a short time, but after the AP exams everthing gets lax because we've already covered all the material.

It works fine, I got a 5 on it.

Edited by Hassan