An Old School Catholic Message Board

Continuing To Celebrate Christmas

tinytherese

Sure, to the secular world Christmas is over but for us it's still going on. So what should we do now to keep Christmas alive for the rest of the season. During advent we were waiting, but after the 25th's activities of celebrating what should we do?

Love for life.

Well, I'm still praying the joyful mysteries with the rosary. Also, in addition to full-out Christmas decorations, I have my Magi in the living room, but far away from the Nativity until January 6th. That's pretty exciting for me lol

Just watched this movie called "The Fourth Wiseman" yesterday afternoon. It was a good one. I'll write a review of it on my blog.

Continue to wish people a Merry Christmas. You'll get funny looks of course, and you have to explain to them why Christmas hasn't ended and in fact has just begun. It's fun to explain the Liturgical calendar and that Christmas is a season not just a day...well at least for me it's fun.

[quote name='Maximilianus' post='1737538' date='Dec 29 2008, 12:30 AM']Continue to wish people a Merry Christmas. You'll get funny looks of course, and you have to explain to them why Christmas hasn't ended and in fact has just begun. It's fun to explain the Liturgical calendar and that Christmas is a season not just a day...well at least for me it's fun.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
yup. my parents answer the phone "Merry Christmas Season". :hehe:

HisChildForever

[quote name='Love for life.' post='1737501' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:40 AM']I have my Magi in the living room, but far away from the Nativity until January 6th. That's pretty exciting for me lol[/quote]

That's so cute!

[quote name='Love for life.' post='1737501' date='Dec 29 2008, 12:40 AM']I have my Magi in the living room, but far away from the Nativity until January 6th. That's pretty exciting for me lol[/quote]

We do that at church. They start in the corner, and slowly make their way across to the Nativity. They completely freak me out. It's like watching a movie with a possessed doll that every time the camera pans over they have moved closer until they chomp down on your head. One New Year's Day I was taking the hymn boards down before mass to change the numbers, and I thought I saw one move out of the corner of my eye, and when I looked over at them to see, I fell right off the altar step on that side. I went flying, the board flew like a Frisbee hitting the first pew. All the early people, sacrastin, priest, nun, etc., came running. I don't make a silent splat. I'm a large woman, and cause seismic incidents when I fall. I'm convinced they all thought I fell because I was hung over from my New Year's Eve party.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1737468' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:58 AM']Sure, to the secular world Christmas is over but for us it's still going on. So what should we do now to keep Christmas alive for the rest of the season. During advent we were waiting, but after the 25th's activities of celebrating what should we do?[/quote]
Simply continue to celebrate Christmas. If anyone asks point out that as a Christian your seasons are not determined by the marketing media, but by the Church. Christmas after all is a Catholic Holyday. Christmas goes to at least January 13th, and in my house until Feb 2nd.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1737468' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:58 AM']Sure, to the secular world Christmas is over but for us it's still going on. So what should we do now to keep Christmas alive for the rest of the season. During advent we were waiting, but after the 25th's activities of celebrating what should we do?[/quote]

I'm wishing everyone on facebook a Merry Christmas all the way through to the bitter end!

I probably won't draw any comments until after the 12th Day of Christmas. I love coming up with status messages that get people to comment :)

Love for life.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1737714' date='Dec 29 2008, 01:44 PM']We do that at church. They start in the corner, and slowly make their way across to the Nativity.[/quote]
Woah. That is really creepy lol. I think my family might freak out if they started moving around the living room.

I was also really sad that the Christian radio station stopped playing Christmas music after the 25. They aren't Catholic, though, so that might explain it.

[quote name='Love for life.' post='1739315' date='Dec 30 2008, 10:27 PM']Woah. That is really creepy lol. I think my family might freak out if they started moving around the living room.

I was also really sad that the Christian radio station stopped playing Christmas music after the 25. They aren't Catholic, though, so that might explain it.[/quote]

My Christian radio station back in St. Pete was owned by the diocese. They play Christmas music after Christmas.

Augustine of Hippo

When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, in the days of King Herod, 2 behold, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying, "Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star 3 at its rising and have come to do him homage." When King Herod heard this, he was greatly troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. Assembling all the chief priests and the scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Messiah was to be born. They said to him, "In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it has been written through the prophet: 'And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; since from you shall come a ruler, who is to shepherd my people Israel.'" Then Herod called the magi secretly and ascertained from them the time of the star's appearance. He sent them to Bethlehem and said, "Go and search diligently for the child. When you have found him, bring me word, that I too may go and do him homage." After their audience with the king they set out. And behold, the star that they had seen at its rising preceded them, until it came and stopped over the place where the child was. They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house they saw the child with Mary his mother. They prostrated themselves and did him homage. Then they opened their treasures and offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed for their country by another way.

[quote name='Augustine of Hippo' post='1739327' date='Dec 30 2008, 10:35 PM']When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, in the days of King Herod, 2 behold, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying, "Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star 3 at its rising and have come to do him homage." When King Herod heard this, he was greatly troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. Assembling all the chief priests and the scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Messiah was to be born. They said to him, "In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it has been written through the prophet: 'And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; since from you shall come a ruler, who is to shepherd my people Israel.'" Then Herod called the magi secretly and ascertained from them the time of the star's appearance. He sent them to Bethlehem and said, "Go and search diligently for the child. When you have found him, bring me word, that I too may go and do him homage." After their audience with the king they set out. And behold, the star that they had seen at its rising preceded them, until it came and stopped over the place where the child was. They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house they saw the child with Mary his mother. They prostrated themselves and did him homage. Then they opened their treasures and offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed for their country by another way.[/quote]

Wow, you have a bible. I'm impressed.

Augustine of Hippo

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1739336' date='Dec 31 2008, 12:42 AM']Wow, you have a bible. I'm impressed.[/quote]

I have many Bibles, different translations. I love the Word. I love books in general, but to see the Word of God printed on the page gives me a great sense of the continuity of faith; to be able to touch the ancient.