An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obama's Presidency

Saint Therese

O'bama's Presidency  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1742706' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:42 PM']Someone has to try. :)
As much as I hate saying good things about him, there's one thing that encourages me. He's planning on getting troops out of Iraq (remember, the Vatican was against that invasion from the start), and he's sending way more to Afghanistan. Now, the Iraq thing is not a big issue for me, being from Canada. I don't know the entirety of the debate surrounding it, but I know Afghanistan, and I want that job done properly. I think it has potential, and we shouldn't leave the Afghanis hanging.[/quote]

Amen.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1742706' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:42 PM'](remember, the Vatican was against that invasion from the start)[/quote]

THANK YOU!
I've been trying to tell everyone that for ages, now. They pretty much think that to be conservative you get to be a war monger in support of the death penalty and assume that because it's nicknamed the "religious right", religion agrees with those views.

That being said, I never thought the election was that big of a deal until I found out who won. We prayed about it every day as a family, but I didn't think it was even possible for Oh-Bummer to be elected. I just assumed people really had sense enough to go with the pro-life candidate, but they were telling their friends otherwise because it was popular to not like anyone but Obama. I felt like a brick dropped on my heart and started feeling pretty guilty for not praying more fervently..

I think when it's all said and done with, we will have had the biggest wake-up call we could have possibly had and hopefully it will set our priorities straight. You have to fall on your face first sometimes...

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='chloeaustyn' post='1743175' date='Jan 5 2009, 12:42 AM']THANK YOU!
I've been trying to tell everyone that for ages, now. They pretty much think that to be conservative you get to be a war monger in support of the death penalty and assume that because it's nicknamed the "religious right", religion agrees with those views.

That being said, I never thought the election was that big of a deal until I found out who won. We prayed about it every day as a family, but I didn't think it was even possible for Oh-Bummer to be elected. I just assumed people really had sense enough to go with the pro-life candidate, but they were telling their friends otherwise because it was popular to not like anyone but Obama. I felt like a brick dropped on my heart and started feeling pretty guilty for not praying more fervently..

I think when it's all said and done with, we will have had the biggest wake-up call we could have possibly had and hopefully it will set our priorities straight. You have to fall on your face first sometimes...[/quote]
I'm as guilty as anyone about getting lost in right wing rhetoric, until I realize that the Church is WAY cooler than the Conservatives any day of the week. In the last year it becomes more and more clear to me how only on a very basic, moral level is politics connected to religion... but anyway, off topic.
I know what you mean about it being popular to like Obama! I think you'd be hard pressed to find an average Canadian high school kid (at least that I know) who doesn't like him. In fact, a couple of my friends on Facebook who generally present as devoted Catholics (lots of involvement in the new 'trendy' charismatic renewal, but whatever) have joined groups like "Canadians for Obama" and the like. It just doesn't make any sense, that they'd be so blind to the issues at hand.

The minute I open my mouth up here, with my accent, people know I'm from the US. Then I got deluged with questions about how great Obama was. I was giving a radio interview right after my book came out, and that's all the guy wanted to talk about. I had to tap dance because I new my publisher would kill me if I said something that would make the not want to run the interview.

I actually got into a shouting match at a KofC fundraising dinner for my college with a woman about Obama. The seminarians I go to school with looked at me very strangely because they had never heard me raise my voice before. Catholics who always vote Conservative here, KofC members who fight for pro-life causes were baffled when I told them I couldn't vote for Obama. Most didn't understand what his position on life issues were. I educated them the best I could, but it was as if they didn't want to hear anything bad about him. I also had to be careful, coming from the South, that they understood it wasn't about his race, it was about his pro-choice policies. In movies, the racists always have southern accents.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='chloeaustyn' post='1743175' date='Jan 5 2009, 02:42 AM']I just assumed people really had sense enough to go with the pro-life candidate,[/quote]
What pro-life candidate?

Why are we still calling him O'bama?? Does that have any significance?

Anyways, I think its definitely the economy first on the list, although I fear more damage will result in the long run..

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1743401' date='Jan 5 2009, 12:24 PM']I actually got into a shouting match at a KofC fundraising dinner for my college with a woman about Obama. The seminarians I go to school with looked at me very strangely because they had never heard me raise my voice before. Catholics who always vote Conservative here, KofC members who fight for pro-life causes were baffled when I told them I couldn't vote for Obama. Most didn't understand what his position on life issues were. I educated them the best I could, but it was as if they didn't want to hear anything bad about him. I also had to be careful, coming from the South, that they understood it wasn't about his race, it was about his pro-choice policies. In movies, the racists always have southern accents.[/quote]
This should be shocking, but I'm not even surprised at all. :( I mean, I'm in a Catholic school board, which should at least in some way support pro life, and have some rules about the private views teachers express to students, right? I mean, you wouldn't want (for instance) a religion teacher being openly pro abortion. Right? Well not really. One of my social teachers in particular is so pro Obama that she humg a big poster of him in her office.
You should have seen the trouble we had to go to just getting a Pro Life day to happen in the school! It was ridiculous.
These things just shouldn't be an issue in a Catholic environment, but in mine, just like yours, they really are. :(